Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I've done a lot of research on the AIDog, but still don't know if it is right for my living arrangements. I also don't have an estimate on how much the dog actually costs. I live in Pennsylvania, so I don't know how that would play out for me, and also live in a medium sized home, but with not a big backyard, but easy access to a large field. Also, even when I'm not home, I have someone here at all times, the house is never empty, so the dog would have plenty of interaction. I've read that they are good in a lot of different types of homes, so I was wondering if they were right for me. If you can also provide an idea on the total cost, after buying and getting the dog out here, that would be great. I really wanted a companion and this dog just seems like the perfect thing for me.

Edited by NadrojZerimar

Hi NadrojZerimar,

We are owners of Chhaya "Dog of the Month". We also live in PA. Our cost with shipping etc was approx. $1200.00 plus whatever you would need dishes, collar, leash, etc. If you have access to a field that is great. As long as you give these dogs play time a couple times a day it's all good. Chhaya loves her frisbee time and ball time. I do have a horse and we ride a few miles at least 4-5 times a week....you can take these dogs anywhere with you and they are mostly happy as long as you give them attention. They are very interactive with whatever you may do. The fact that someone would be there alot is good too. Chhaya only has 5 days out of the month that both my husband and I work daylight that she is by herself. My husband works swing shift so she isn't alone very much at all. They adjust well. There are difficult times in training them I will admit...sometimes they are a challenge, but it is ALL worth it. The bound that you build with them is so amazing and nothing that I've ever experienced before. If you are willing to put time into them you get a million times more back!!! E-mail or call Kim LaFlamme and it will help you make your decision.

Hi NadrojZerimar,

We are owners of Chhaya "Dog of the Month". We also live in PA. Our cost with shipping etc was approx. $1200.00 plus whatever you would need dishes, collar, leash, etc. If you have access to a field that is great. As long as you give these dogs play time a couple times a day it's all good. Chhaya loves her frisbee time and ball time. I do have a horse and we ride a few miles at least 4-5 times a week....you can take these dogs anywhere with you and they are mostly happy as long as you give them attention. They are very interactive with whatever you may do. The fact that someone would be there alot is good too. Chhaya only has 5 days out of the month that both my husband and I work daylight that she is by herself. My husband works swing shift so she isn't alone very much at all. They adjust well. There are difficult times in training them I will admit...sometimes they are a challenge, but it is ALL worth it. The bound that you build with them is so amazing and nothing that I've ever experienced before. If you are willing to put time into them you get a million times more back!!! E-mail or call Kim LaFlamme and it will help you make your decision.

Hello.

We currently are the owners of three of these pups and have owned a total of six. You should contact the breeder, Kim LaFlamme, via his web page at Song Dog Kennels or call him at home at 541-597-2871. Kim is more than willing to discuss the breed.

As the owner of Chhaya has said, they can be a handful and they do need a lot of exercise. We walk all three every day -- we walk three miles in the morning and three miles in the evening regardless of weather! There are difficult and frustrating times during their 'puppyhood' and training but when they get it they get it. Kim will explain the tough but gentle love that is needed with these pups.

They definitely are a one person trainer dog. Ours acknowledge me and will listen to me but my husband is their alpha male. Again, definitely speak with Kim and ask any and all questions or concerns you may have. He is a wonderful, caring and trustworthy breeder.

Along with the actual cost of the pup and the normal needs of the dogs, take into consideration vet bills because they will need immunization as well as neutering. The neutering is a part of the contract agreement you sign and agree to with the purchase of the pup. Just something to think about! Good luck in your decision.

Judy in Michigan

Hello.

We currently are the owners of three of these pups and have owned a total of six. You should contact the breeder, Kim LaFlamme, via his web page at Song Dog Kennels or call him at home at 541-597-2871. Kim is more than willing to discuss the breed.

As the owner of Chhaya has said, they can be a handful and they do need a lot of exercise. We walk all three every day -- we walk three miles in the morning and three miles in the evening regardless of weather! There are difficult and frustrating times during their 'puppyhood' and training but when they get it they get it. Kim will explain the tough but gentle love that is needed with these pups.

They definitely are a one person trainer dog. Ours acknowledge me and will listen to me but my husband is their alpha male. Again, definitely speak with Kim and ask any and all questions or concerns you may have. He is a wonderful, caring and trustworthy breeder.

Along with the actual cost of the pup and the normal needs of the dogs, take into consideration vet bills because they will need immunization as well as neutering. The neutering is a part of the contract agreement you sign and agree to with the purchase of the pup. Just something to think about! Good luck in your decision.

Judy in Michigan

Hi there, I agree with all that Judy K and Maria have mentioned and one thing I would add to that is that Kim matches the energy of the dog with the life style of the person. In other words, I am an artist, or try to be, and will never run marathons. Thus he matched me with a pup whose requirements for exercise are a bit different. Some of these pups need lots and some less depending on their energy level. This has nothing to do with their intelligence. They are ALL extremely smart thinking dogs. Allow Kim to help you with this rather than choosing the "cutest" of the litter. He definitely knows what he is doing....of course he has had over 45 years of experience. These dogs are magical and more than worth their weight in gold. Their communication with you is uncanny, their loyalty is outstanding, they are great with kids, and very imaginative in designing their own games to play with you if you listen and observe them, plus they like to sing to the harmonica. They are a hoot. :D As a partner with various breeds in the past, I truly have to say, this is the most unbelievable dog I have ever had. Just be gentle alpha with them and your life with them will be golden. good luck

By the way, the shipping is expensive, the dog is not nearly as expensive as other breeds. Kim likes to make sure he has quality people, not just wealthy people.

Give him a call.

Hi I too am from pa I live in the burbs in 3 brm 1 bath home moderate back yard I have two Aidogs as you can see in my pic I take theses guys with me alot of places but I take them in the mornig to the dog park for two hrs every day I work 2-10 they are not bog dogs and are happy but do need thier exersie they love hiking and running RUNNING cant sau that enough my two go to the dog park wich is on a 20 acre farm with 2 inclosure but I let them run the fields as much as possible they love to chase the deer and fox what ever

I would say they can live anywhere with you but you need to exercise them good A TIRED PUP IS A HAPPY ONE if you have a firend with a dog thats even better they love to play and get along with all kinds of dogs my two play rough and I tell pwoplw that but if a fight starts its not mine I love the fact the dont have aggression like other breed ( thanks kim for keeping them around)

I've done a lot of research on the AIDog, but still don't know if it is right for my living arrangements. I also don't have an estimate on how much the dog actually costs. I live in Pennsylvania, so I don't know how that would play out for me, and also live in a medium sized home, but with not a big backyard, but easy access to a large field. Also, even when I'm not home, I have someone here at all times, the house is never empty, so the dog would have plenty of interaction. I've read that they are good in a lot of different types of homes, so I was wondering if they were right for me. If you can also provide an idea on the total cost, after buying and getting the dog out here, that would be great. I really wanted a companion and this dog just seems like the perfect thing for me.

wow, everyone thanks for the positive feedback but I am still very disheartened by the price. I know there are a lot of other dogs for much more, it's just that I can't seem to do the 1200 plus medical things like neuter/spay and things like that. I really want a dog, but my parent will not help me out for costs. Basically I have to pay for everything on my own. I want to save up for it though, which is why I'm working mainly.

wow, everyone thanks for the positive feedback but I am still very disheartened by the price. I know there are a lot of other dogs for much more, it's just that I can't seem to do the 1200 plus medical things like neuter/spay and things like that. I really want a dog, but my parent will not help me out for costs. Basically I have to pay for everything on my own. I want to save up for it though, which is why I'm working mainly.

While these dogs are costly, they are worth it. Another great thing you can do and it will cost much less is to go to a shelter and adopt a pup that much needs a home. It will be rewarding for both you and the dog. Consider it - it's an experience you will enjoy too. When the time is right at another time, maybe you will then have the opportunity to welcome an American Indian Dog into your home.

JudyK in Michigan

While these dogs are costly, they are worth it. Another great thing you can do and it will cost much less is to go to a shelter and adopt a pup that much needs a home. It will be rewarding for both you and the dog. Consider it - it's an experience you will enjoy too. When the time is right at another time, maybe you will then have the opportunity to welcome an American Indian Dog into your home.

JudyK in Michigan

Ah that was what I was thinking of! I saw this super-cute whippet that won't cost me anything I wouldn't be able to afford, about 300-400 excluding traveling prices. I really had my eyes set on this dog, however, and will keep one in my mind until my circumstances change a bit more. Thank you very much Judy :D