Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Missing Aidog

Hi Kim,

Will you please post the attachment on your forum or wherever you would think helpful. I have never been successful logging into the forum. My AI dog Billy went missing last month, I last saw her last in our yard with our other two dogs who are still around. A neighbor spotted what he is certain was her with a lady the next day in town. I am checking the shelters, notified vets, put flyers everywhere, update Craigslist weekly and keep searching. She is chipped and registered with Home Again. She is everything and more you said she would be. I sure miss her.

Thank you in advance,

Janice Jordan

missing.jpg

Janice – The Hathaways live down in S. CA. maybe give them a call = 951-536-9061 (plus owners list below) there are a few 760 #’s - so give them a call, maybe they can help in some way?

OH NO! I’m so sorry to hear that … I will have the administrators post this, on the forum.

What town in CA do you live in … I don’t know were Fallbrook is … & if you had registered her with our registry we would have all that on record & with your vet’s proof of spay that would help as well … maybe we can get you together with other AI dog owners near you to help? (are you in touch with other owners that I sent you?--- (re-sent below) At least she is micro chipped!

This is one of Talkers daughters … sister to Little Crow, & her brother, my sisters dog Max on Catalina Island CA. Let me know the large city’s you are close too & maybe there are other new AI dog owners, not yet on the list near you to contact … & please do get on the forum.

Kim La Flamme ~ founder/trustee of the AIDog breed for over 45 years -- www.indiandogs.com

JJ I am really sorry you and Billy are experiencing this. I could not open the attachment. Anything you have in the way of photos and where you are would be helpful so folks that are near you can keep an eye peeled.

Thank you for your good wishes. I have not been able to open the attachment either and have been trying to post a photo with no luck. I live in Fallbrook which is North County San Diego. Billy is a female, she has the coloring of a German Sheppard with four white paws and a white marking on her chest. She has a black nose with a pink strip down the middle and has brown eyes (she is lighter than Ayita pictured above). She is on the smaller side of the AI dogs. Billy is spayed and chipped. My cell is 760-696-7701. I will keep trying to get a photo up.

Okay, let me look. Hi JJ.

Try now....

Ah...there it is

I sure hope Billy is found soon. I just can't imagine the feeling of "Where are you? Are you o.k.? Maybe she will find her own way home. I have had two dogs in the past that did that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Like 2

Thank you Allison! I can see the flyer now! Sherab thank you for the info on the Petamberalert. Billy is registered with a similar service called Home Again and is chipped. It notifies all vets and shelters within 25 miles and other Home Again subscribers that volunteer. I have posted a couple hundred flyers throughout my neighborhood, near schools, downtown Fallbrook and all the entrances and exists into town. Given flyers to the sheriffs, UPS and postal service drivers... most people I talk to have seen them (a lot). I am weekly updating the flyers on Craigslist lost and found and checking the shelters websites daily. Kim gave me some AI people to call and Karen is helping in the search. I get 2-3 calls a week from someone who believes they have seen her, I am confident one of them will pay off and will keep the search going. Her missing has left a hole in my heart, it really sucks.

• Like 1

The other day, Joan and I found a door open and Draco looking out. We couldn't find Wicca...... for an eternal 5 minutes.

She was sleeping in a corner, under a chair.

If we felt and went through what we went through in 5 minutes, I simply can't imagine and would never wish on my worst enemy what you are going through. Excruciating beyond belief, if not devastating and completely numbing.

Our hearts are so full for you this morning. We know the only thing that will sooth and truly comfort is the return of your precious friend.

The old wise ones say, "This, too, shall pass."

We pray it passes quickly and with the perfect outcome.

• Like 7

I'm glad to learn about that 'pet amber alert' program sending info to vets.

JJ, Prayers that you are able to recover your dog soon. May the New Year be brighter for both you and Billy!

After reading this thread and about the program, I WILL be micro-chipping Tayamni (AI puppy) when she gets spayed.

I had been on the fence about it.

A long time ago a neighborhood teen stole a young cat from my yard. It was an agonizing couple of weeks - I was driving from work one day as I traveled that road to my house regularly, and - low, one day my cat was climbing a tree in the front yard of a house!

I did not hesitate to recover my cat! This one story had a happy ending! I truly wish the same for you.

I have learned a bit about what to do when a pet goes missing. I hope it never happens to any of you, but if it does here is what I have learned:

FIND A PET-take a photo and post on Craigslist, they have a free lost and found section. This is really helpful if you cannot catch the animal. I have gotten many Billy sightings and although I follow up on all of them if I knew it was really her I would change my strategy and focus.

If you have the animal take it to a vet to see if it is chipped, my understanding is it is free and you can find the owner fast if the animal is chipped. Taking an animal to a shelter is something I would research to make sure they are a no kill. If it is a certain breed there is normally organizations you can contact that will help. If you do take the animal to a shelter post the photo on Craigslist and say what shelter you took it to.

MISSING PET-From my experience I recommend chipping. I used Home Again only because it is what my vet had, I have not done comparisons on different chips. I subscribed to their service which sends out an alert when your pet goes missing to all the shelters, vets and volunteers. When you subscribe you can volunteer to receive notices when animals go missing in your area and up to a 25 mile radius. I ran into neighbors and vets who confirmed they had seen the notice and I get them as I volunteered. Having Billy chipped gives me a bit of comfort, what I don't like about it is vets don't automatically scan for a chip so if someone has stolen your pet the vet will not know to scan.

If an animal is killed on the road Caltrans (in California) has no obligation to notify anyone and can dispose of the animal however they see fit. They will sometimes bring the animal to a shelter who will sometimes scan for a chip. (this info was given to me by a shelter employee, I did not verify with Caltrans. )

The first 12 hours are critical, 80% find rate if you take immediate action. Get neighbors involved, get signs posted with photos ASAP. Give a good brief description-size, color, gender, name, contact info. Experts say dogs and cats will do different distances based on what made them leave. A dog running because they are spooked can be a couple miles away, a dog on a sent can be closer. If you have another dog (your missing dog likes) it was suggested to take them with you on the search and to cut up hot dogs and leave them around. The lost dog may pick up the sent of the other dog and the hot dogs may draw the dog out with the goal of a sighting.

I Google Earthed my neighborhood and tried to think like a dog (not looking at street maps but more the natural path a dog would take). After handing out flyers to neighbors I next hung them at every entrance/exit to the area I identified from Google Earth. (Rural dogs on average will travel further than city dogs). I then hung flyers on all the exit/entrances into town. We had a town Christmas parade and I went early in the morning and hung flyers along the parade route. Also hung flyers at local vets, near schools, gave flyers to sheriff department, UPS and postman. I did not do, but think it is a good idea to give flyers to trash men.

I put an ad in the local paper and on their website. I did not get any leads from this but would do again, in my case there is a good chance someone has Billy and I want everyone to be aware, (covering all bases makes you feel a little better as well). Post on Craigslist under Lost and Found in all areas surrounding you. You will need to update regularly to keep on the first page and monitor it and your local animal shelters websites. Go to the animal shelters and talk to the staff and leave flyers with them as well. I have heard when looking on the shelter sites to look for both genders as they sometimes get posted wrong.

I have a friend in New Zealand who is an engineer, I asked him why you can find a lost phone but not your pet. This was his response, I had no idea these products were available:

Sorry to hear about your dog.

There are collars that you can get for tracking your dog. They are only really useful if your dog gets lost rather than stolen as a thief can simply take the collar off. Like the phone app, they are only useful while the battery is charged and if a dog is lost then it doesn't know to go get its battery charged and so they are only useful in the early stages of losing your dog.

Usually the collars only report their position every couple of minutes in order to conserve battery power and this means that they only give a general area where the dog was, if the dog is moving. Also, the GPS is unreliable or doesn't work in some places such as if a dog crawls under a house. Despite this they can be useful for finding lost dogs and there are a couple of brands out there.

Mostly it is impractical to embed the GPS and battery inside the dog (to prevent a thief from simply taking the collar off) because the chip is too big and because of the need to charge the battery.

Interestingly, the passive chip that you have got in your dog currently is an RFID chip and that is the same type of chip that is used in the Japanese nails that glow when close to a smart phone.Also, in the area of active tracking, some people use GPS tracking similar to the collars to track their kids, hopefully just in case they get kidnapped rather than not trusting them! It is also possible to get your luggage with a GPS tracker these days so you can find it when the airline loses it for you. There are also trackers for your car and stand alone trackers that you can put inside a package with other stuff so that you can track your package through the post system.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Tracking-Tag-Red-Size/dp/B003F7999I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417730450&sr=8-4&keywords=luggage+tracker

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Spot-Portable-GPS-Tracker/dp/B008GT8C7K/ref=sr_1_12?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417728962&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/Lentenda-Global-Tracker-Tracking-Children/dp/B00L0XT142/ref=sr_1_20?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417728962&sr=1-20

http://www.amazon.com/Sourcingbay-Waterproof-Tracker-Android-Application/dp/B00GNU5DM6/ref=sr_1_17?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417728962&sr=1-17

http://www.amazon.com/Sourcingbay-Waterproof-Locator-disabled-Vehicle/dp/B00MCINE88/ref=sr_1_11?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417728962&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Tracker-Remote-Control-Anti-theft/dp/B0095BJZ7O/ref=sr_1_9?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417728962&sr=1-9

One very useful application of a dog collar tracker is to create a virtual fence around your house. Then as soon as your dog wanders away from your house you get an SMS text and someone can go get it before it gets too far away. Or with the addition of an electric shock device then you can train your dog not to wander away.

See http://www.amazon.com/Dogwidgets%C2%AE-Remote-Training-Collar-Vibration/dp/B00CX6LJ22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417729692&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+training+collar

or http://www.amazon.com/Rechargable-Remote-Control-Training-Vibration/dp/B004DMV1BI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417729692&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+training+collar

The Australians use something similar to this on the very large outback cattle stations where they don't have any fences and they still want to keep their cattle in a particular area.

• Like 1

We have chips and this: http://www.pettracker.com/pet-gps

We've used it for excapes outside our fence. Also use it when we travel. Love it. Wish it were smaller and less conspicuous as it would be obvious to a thief.

We also put a nanny cam in the barn. It doesn't cover the whole area but it gives me some idea of what's happening when we are not home. I was concerned Shiva might get stuck in the dog door since he's really lost function in his one hind leg but also gives me some record of what's happening. There was a case posted last year of someone taking 2 AIDs from someone's fenced area. In that case the publicity and reward were enough for a return but it did get me thinking more about security.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Has there been any news on Billy?

Gee, JJ, so sorry to hear that.

Had a nightmare that I lost my dog just night before last. Worried me all day.

Sending good vibes to help guide you two back together.

We have a great gal in our neighborhood, who has a deaf, young, strong dog, and he went missing. There were several sightings, but of course she can't call to him. Some of our local hunters said that what they do when a dog goes walk-about, is take their kennel and leave it out at the last sighting.

So she took his crate and some smelly clothes, and sure enough it worked. He was there waiting, when she came back the next day.

• Like 3

Don't give up hope. A local foster family which fosters dogs lost a pup that was put into their care 4 months ago. Summer, a young pitbull puppy that came from California bolted her first night in their home. 112 days later she was "captured" and returned to the foster family until she can be adopted into her forever home. They tried to trace her journey according to people who caught sitings of her. She was being fed by employees at a repair shop. They never could get near her but she was getting food. There were also sightings of her hanging out at a homeless camp for a short time.

Billy is out there and will come back to you, I just feel it.

• Like 2