Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Training Pup To Stay On Property

Chinatola you write so hilariously, seriously when is your book coming out?! Vivid, tender portraits of life with AI dogs. Great stuff.

I've never actually seen Sita kill anything, I don't know if this is due to hunting ineptitude or just a general Buddhist-ness to her nature. Seriously. The times she has had a chance it seems that she is much more interested in the chase and the play than the actual kill. She has taken to spending lots of times hovering over gopher holes, to no avail yet...perhaps she will surprise me and show me her inner killer, but at this point I'm starting to doubt it!

She is (wisely, I'd say) more bluster and bark than bite...except for when my friend's pit bull mix was over at my house, and I was (unwisely, I'd say!) playing up the fact that the pit loves to lick faces and was enthusiastically kissing mine, and I was (playfully I thought) teasing Sita and trying to make her jealous...well, that'll learn me...Sita got so aggressive and snippy with the pit that (even though they had been playing gloriously and happily in the woods together for hours previously) that the pit took umbrage and gave Sita a snarl, and there in my kitchen all of a sudden was a full throated roaring dog fight, scary as hell!!! Teeth flashing, Cujo sounds emitting from both dogs...luckily me and my friend were there to shout NOOOOOO! and jump in between them. No d.ogs or humans were hurt

I feel super dumb for my role in creating that...and it tuned me into just how bonded we've become, and how much Sita sees me as her own, and how beautiful that is...a gift, and a power, to be respected above all. And while I am EXTREMELY grateful that she wasn't hurt, her moxy when pushed and her determination to demand respect (all 29 pounds of her!) with much bigger dogs (combined, weirdly, with her relentless submissiveness!) does give me a glimmer of pride...my girl takes no guff, while at the same time being kind and open to all humans and dogs she encounters. What a lovely, fascinating being she is.

One more story from recent life: awaking in the middle of the night to the sounds of raccoons in my living room, eating the cat food and rummaging through my stuff--I leave the window open for cats to come and go as they like. I fling my bedroom door open, not really thinking, and there are two of the little bandits marauding in my house, 6 feet away...Sita comes charging in, barking to high heaven, were-coyote ruff sticking out to maximum effect, and immediately I think oh hell no she is not fighting with a raccoon! And the most important thing--more than making sure they get out of my house--is to make sure Sita doesn't get hurt...but I need not have worried...the smart and loud girl is barking and growling and doing her job, but she's not lunging in to tangle, she's kind of hanging out behind me...having my back, as usual. The raccoons left and nobody got hurt :)

• Like 1

Maria I think these dogs are some how part cat. Bet they have their own language.

Sri you definitely learned a lesson. The woods is neutral territory. No one thinks of it as theirs or at least not so much as home. Often when introducing dogs for the first time, it's good to do it off property. We have done that with Waki and Cake because our GSDs were GSDs. Dogs can be best of friends then suddenly be triggered by something and become jealous. Waki had a great Black Russian Terrier girl friend before Cake. He'd walk with her on the Rail trail. She considered him "hers". When her water bowl came out we were careful to keep Waki well clear of it because that was even "more hers" that he was.

Raccoons are persistent buggers. You may have to close the window or install one of those electronic cat doors. Good luck.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 2