Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Trifexis Warning

Below is a note I sent to Kim and he asked me to share my experience with this medication here- I hope this is the right spot. Zuni had taken it about 4 times but this weekend was the last, we will be looking for other ways of fighting bugs!!

"Hi Kim--I wanted to let you know I think some of the issues we had in the past were due to Trifexis- a 3 in 1 flea tick heart worm med recommended by our vet. On Friday we gave him his regular dose. He was crying in his crate that night but I thought he just wanted his bone that was outside the crate. On Sat he was acting weird zombie -ish and scared looking. He was still eating and stool etc was normal. By that night he was acting growl-y and did not want to be touched and Saturday night he wouldnt eat anything but ice. Sunday morning he ate which was a relief but he was still weird. He snapped at my husband when they were on the couch together. I started doing reading about this drug online and was horrified to see all the bad reactions (seizures shaking aggression and death) that owners say were a result of this drug. By Monday he was back to his normal sassy but sweet self. Needless to say we wont be using this drug anymore but now Im wondering if this is where the out of the blue aggression came from in the past?? I wasnt looking for this reaction so I did not keep track-"

• Like 2

NorCal, the question of keeping our dogs de-bugged is very difficult to answer. Glad Zuni seems to be OK. I hate , hate, hate, medicating the dog, or any other creature for that matter, but what to do with a flea infestation, of which we had a dandy last year? We have a separate heart worm medication, Heartgard, and tick/flea medication, Nexgard. Our vet is adamant that the meds are the only sure- fire, certain way to go. We tried everything to break the flea infestation last summer, and finally, reluctantly, went with a dose of Nexgard. Kaposia is at the lower end of the weight range per dose. Within hours of the first dose, she was running around the house like she'd lost her mind, barking and growling at herself in the mirror, and not herself at all. It worked...got rid of the fleas...but what a concept...poison your dog with a neurotoxin so that the fleas that bite will also be poisoned by a neurotoxin and die. We're trying brewer's yeast this year from Drs. Foster and Smith, 3 tablets a day. Don't know yet how effective this will be, but it's something that at least won't harm the dog, and it has made her coat very shiny, soft, luxurious, actually. If we're ever infested again I don't know what we'll do short of something like Nexgard again, although I would only give it at half of dose as needed. It only took the one dose last year to break the infestation...powerful, nasty stuff! I would refer anyone interested to read what the alternative vet, Dr. Becker, has to say on the subject. She shares a website with alternative M.D. Dr. Merco

• Like 1

Anyway, to finish the above post; Dr. Mercola. As with anything canine or human, it's not one size fits all. My sister has a little "Schnoodle" named Pablo who gets the Nexgard year round with no apparent untoward reactions. I've heard of geranium oil, etc., but that's not an option for us due to my allergies/multi-chemical sensitivities. There is a thread somewhere on this forum regarding fleas, you will find more info there. Depending on where you live, the dogs may not need anything year round, only during peak seasons for fleas and ticks.

Thank you for posting this warning! As an herbalist, I am SO against any meds- both for people and pets! I am confident that nature has all the answers, but the medical people push the posions- for that is what they are, unfortunately. They may help one thing, but then there is a cascade of other side effects, which makes the body weaker, thus less effective at fighting any infections/infestations as a result. I have Rose Geranium spray that I have thus far used with success, as well as brushing after a day out. Wyot also eats mostly raw food, which is making his coat so shiny, his eyes bright, and he hasn't had any worms since he expelled them at around 3 and 4 months of age. Interestingly enough, (and this makes total sense to me), if you give a strong medication for de-worming (thus Kim's suggestion for the gentle de-wormer), they expell a TON of worms, but then, it makes the environment in their bodies weaker as a result, letting worms back in, just as strong as before! So, I chose the gentle route, and Wyot's been clean, no side effects, and everyone is happy.

I am so sorry- poor Zuni, and poor you to have to witness his reaction! Rose geranium is not the only way to battle ticks and fleas. There are many other options- lemon eucalyptus being one of them. You can research that, and aside from feeding garlic/brewer's yeast, rotate some other herbs in your dog's food- spring herbs to sprinkle (dried, about a tsp each) dandelion leaf, goldenrod, cilantro and parsley. I use one of these at a time, every few days. Peppermint is good when they have upset tummies and gas...

• Like 2

KittynDoc, you have an herbal remedy for fleas too, don't you? Can you give us the link to that?

I have also had some ill effects with the flea meds, but have come around to just giving them about a half dose once or twice a year depending on the intensity of the season. I do find that a half dose Spring and sometimes again in the Fall will take care of the problem.

This year we have had more water than we have ever had. I expect the ticks to go wild.

I would like to try my half dose with Kate's herbal remedy in between.

• Like 2

Just in case Lakegirl lost a bit of this post, I will repost it for her:

NorCal, the question of keeping our dogs de-bugged is very difficult to answer. Glad Zuni seems to be OK. I hate , hate, hate, medicating the dog, or any other creature for that matter, but what to do with a flea infestation, of which we had a dandy last year? We have a separate heart worm medication, Heartgard, and tick/flea medication, Nexgard. Our vet is adamant that the meds are the only sure- fire, certain way to go. We tried everything to break the flea infestation last summer, and finally, reluctantly, went with a dose of Nexgard. Kaposia is at the lower end of the weight range per dose. Within hours of the first dose, she was running around the house like she'd lost her mind, barking and growling at herself in the mirror, and not herself at all. It worked...got rid of the fleas...but what a concept...poison your dog with a neurotoxin so that the fleas that bite will also be poisoned by a neurotoxin and die. We're trying brewer's yeast this year from Drs. Foster and Smith, 3 tablets a day. Don't know yet how effective this will be, but it's something that at least won't harm the dog, and it has made her coat very shiny, soft, luxurious, actually. If we're ever infested again I don't know what we'll do short of something like Nexgard again, although I would only give it at half of dose as needed. It only took the one dose last year to break the infestation...powerful, nasty stuff! I would refer anyone interested to read what the alternative vet, Dr. Becker, has to say on the subject. She shares a website with alternative M.D. Dr. Merco

KittynDoc, you have an herbal remedy for fleas too, don't you? Can you give us the link to that?

I have also had some ill effects with the flea meds, but have come around to just giving them about a half dose once or twice a year depending on the intensity of the season. I do find that a half dose Spring and sometimes again in the Fall will take care of the problem.

This year we have had more water than we have ever had. I expect the ticks to go wild.

I would like to try my half dose with Kate's herbal remedy in between.

I am in the process of making more bug and tick repellent, and used the last of it on us today...I think there is a link to my website right on the iidoba front page! I am honored... ...seems to be working well on Wyot...I also dust him with some DE in between as well, for extra measure. When I spray, I make sure to ruffle his fur where I've sprayed, so it penetrates towards the skin, and gets distributed through the area. I am thinking of making a salve, which would come in tins, but wondering how that would distribute amongst their thick fur (although I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting the doggie massage, LOL!) Let me know what you think- any thoughts are welcome. My farmer's market starts memorial day weekend, and I also have a show on the 29th of this month....I gotta get crackin'!

• Like 2