Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Sounds like you're doing a great job, Felix. Sometimes in the thick of the battle, it's hard to keep perspective. Your comment about these challenges being due to Chepi's young age is spot on. Acquiring a puppy of any breed means signing on for about 3 years of high energy insanity before they mellow out. Stay the course.

• Like 3
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after a long long journey we are finally home and settling in. As I type this little Chep is sleeping in her crate after a long day of snuggles, piddles, naps and playing.     It was really

Bonus, a cute photo my husband took today

just wanted to post a few recent photos of chepi and kind of respond to your question finally.   Chepi has has grown so much, though she is still a baby. She is 1yr 5 months at this point and 29lbs

Posted Images

I agree with LakeGirl...stay the course! Chhaya was a handful. Try working off the high energy with play time as much as possible. I would take Chhaya & Koda with me when I rode my horse, a good 2-3 hours at times. They had rest time while I was taking care of my horse, then a half mile walk back to my house. Then I would clean them up and then another hour of frisbee/ball time! So basically at least 4 hours of on and off running and playing every day of the week! Now Chhaya is almost 7 and she doesn't have as much energy as that first 3-4 years. As far as cats...Chhaya was rough at first but now is more gentle and the cats will let her know if it's too much! Our cat Blackfoot has playtime with her but he runs the show lol, and she respects him. They sleep side by side when playtime is over. It gets easier I promise....this is the forming stage and if you stay that course no matter how frustrated you get, it will work out. Step back and think about why you're getting frustrated...remember too that these dogs are very sensitive and can pick up when you are having these emotions and feelings... Chhaya taught me patience and how to control myself in certain situations...no person was able to do that...she taught be about my fears...things that were out of my control...amazing dogs!!!

Love the pics!!!

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your replies. I would say we give her about 4 hours a day of high energy activity somehow, either walking or playing fetch. The energy that was concerning is the initial greet. My goodness she loves meeting new people it is everything to her hahaha. She jumps and falls and rolls and barks and goes absolutely bonkers. Thankfully she does listen to me if I tell her to lay down. Her whole body is shaking when she does but I can usually get her to do it.

Played lots today and she is tired but she likes to pretend she's fine haha.

I recently have let her roam a bit more of the house but I am thinking it is too soon. If she is out of my sight she will sometimes pee in the house :/ so I will keep the gates up and she can just be with me in whatever section of the house I am in.

• Like 1

She is so adorable. Riddick is also testing our patience. Just have to be firm with him. He is getting way better with kids too. We do not have any cats and I am sure with how he goes after our chickens it would not be good. Mostly he just wants the chickens food, but he did drag one across the yard on Friday. Luckly the chicken was ok and only missing some feathers after the tussle. Sounds like you are having issues like I did with our last dog. After 2 years he was the greatest dog in the world. Before that he was lucky he was adorable as well. LOL. How much does she weigh now?

• Like 3

After 2 years he was the greatest dog in the world. Before that he was lucky he was adorable as well. LOL.

Hahahahaha!

• Like 1

[quote name=Rickstefani" post="38800" time="1473198104]She is so adorable. Riddick is also testing our patience. Just have to be firm with him. He is getting way better with kids too. We do not have any cats and I am sure with how he goes after our chickens it would not be good. Mostly he just wants the chickens food, but he did drag one across the yard on Friday. Luckly the chicken was ok and only missing some feathers after the tussle. Sounds like you are having issues like I did with our last dog. After 2 years he was the greatest dog in the world. Before that he was lucky he was adorable as well. LOL. How much does she weigh now?

Goodness I say this to her all the time hahah.

I think she is about 23 lbs right now. She still looks soo small to me.

She has done that with one of the cats a couple times... That's why I am afraid to let her play with him.

23 lb is smaller than I thought. Crazy how much larger this breed looks in pictures. That is scary about the cat. I assume the cat has been declawed. Once she plays rough with a cat that is not declawed she will learn the hard way. My Sheba did that. Crazy how much and ear bleeds. Good luck and I hope they work it out soon.

• Like 1

Oh no I am vehemently against declawing. My cat neff likes to pay rough, but sometimes het bites off more than he can chew. He basically lets her push him around until he gets scared or bored.

She seems small to me, but I think they grow slower than other breeds. She's really only half her grown height I think.

• Like 1

I really appreciate all the help and advice. It is nice to have a second family to come to who have experience and understanding.

• Like 1

If it were me - with the Vet - I would ask them to greet her as you want it done. I feel it could undermine your training - as they say "everyone needs to be on the same page".

Coffey is not at service dog level yet (@ 14 months) and is currently in a behavior class specifically to help redirect his over excitement at times.

It is positive type training and Coffey is slowly learning to break his focus and return it to Kelli. They work with Toys as well as treats and "happy" voice (NOT baby talk). This is with a different group trainer than our normal group trainer.

Kelli has a post called manners class but hasn't posted much in it yet.

Tayamni has graduated CGC & certified as a Therapy dog by 14 months. What a difference! Coffey is not ready for CGC yet and wlll still have to go trough service task training.

Don't worry Felix, take a breath and keep consistent in your "tough love" and try different things with the leash barking, maybe carry a toy (tug toys are great) or REALLY high value treats to redirect from the leash barking when Chepi sees something that gets her overexcited?

One thing I learned from my Dogs and Boone: These puppies aren't like Lab Retriever pups that start their service dog training as they are learning basic commands. Mine have to go through puppy training & get to CGC level then Therapy dog or Service Dog train. Some AI pups my settle down quicker and if I was a professional trainer maybe it would be different for me. I'm sure Chepi will settle in. Just keep on being repetitive and consistent and you will eventually have success!

Last June when we went to visit Boone, I almost didn't recognize him he was soooooo calm. Was it him getting an AI pup playmate (Houston) or did he just calm down after he was over a yr - 1.5 old? Maybe a combo of both as Houston turned out to be a laid back pup.

Getting a second AI Pup could help out with the cats, OR it could backfire and both pups chase the cats. :blink:

Wish we lived closer together, playdates would be fun!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Felix,

How is Chepi doing? Is added exercise any help?

Coffey just had a 'manners class' to help Kelli learn some more calming techniques - he is 16 months old and still gets excited over the cats in the house and seeing other animals outside.

I like what Rickstefani said about the cuteness being a factor when we get frustrated over the puppy focus and terrible two's and teens!

• 10 months later...

1475612110[/url]"]Hi Felix, How is Chepi doing? Is added exercise any help? Coffey just had a 'manners class' to help Kelli learn some more calming techniques - he is 16 months old and still gets excited over the cats in the house and seeing other animals outside. I like what Rickstefani said about the cuteness being a factor when we get frustrated over the puppy focus and terrible two's and teens!

IMG_8256.JPG

just wanted to post a few recent photos of chepi and kind of respond to your question finally.

Chepi has has grown so much, though she is still a baby. She is 1yr 5 months at this point and 29lbs ( little dainty thing)

She goes to the dog park at least once a week now and it's always interesting to see how other people and dogs react to her. I'm not sure if anyone else has ran into this but she is SUPER submissive to other dogs. Her immediate reaction is to lower herself flat to the ground out her ears back and wag her tail feverishly until they see she is there to play and not a threat.

Each new dog that enters the park she has to be the first one to greet them.

We play a lot of frisbee every day and less on the running just because our new house is on a busy street. She's really grown up so much and her behaviors have improved greatly.

Oddly enough the aggression she was having towards the cats really diminished when we got a new kitten. This kitten is from a feral cat and she is wild! she can roll with the rough play and really keeps chepi in check. This has sparked a better understanding of cats for chepi and it's really heartwarming to see them cuddle together. I have attached a photo of her and I will have to catch them snuggling for a photo as well.

We are really looking forward to getting a puppy and I know chepi is going to be such a good big sister. :wub:

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

Edited by Felix
  • Like 6

Cake is super submissive like Chepi. She's gotten braver as she's gotten older but she's also now more likely to try to retreat to my legs, especially if the other dog is female and dominant or if she has a less friendly experience with larger dog. Some of it is pack rank personality (Cake was the small one). Confidence building helps. We met a belgian shepherd and some GSDs a week ago and she wanted to hide between my legs. I knew the dogs and knew there was no problem so I didn't let her hide between my legs. First I stepped away, then I did give her a NO and in a few minutes she was fine and got lots of "good girl!" (she did correct the intact male to let him know her female limits and that was fine). We did that at the dog beach also - it's a fine dance between correcting and not coddling the behavior and not being too harsh and letting her work it out.

• Like 4
Cake is super submissive like Chepi. She's gotten braver as she's gotten older but she's also now more likely to try to retreat to my legs, especially if the other dog is female and dominant or if she has a less friendly experience with larger dog. Some of it is pack rank personality (Cake was the small one). Confidence building helps. We met a belgian shepherd and some GSDs a week ago and she wanted to hide between my legs. I knew the dogs and knew there was no problem so I didn't let her hide between my legs. First I stepped away, then I did give her a NO and in a few minutes she was fine and got lots of "good girl!" (she did correct the intact male to let him know her female limits and that was fine). We did that at the dog beach also - it's a fine dance between correcting and not coddling the behavior and not being too harsh and letting her work it out.

You're right there is definitely a balance you have to keep. I try to keep my distance and tell her, you're ok, up chepi. When she starts greeting pups without flattening out after a while I make sure to praise her excessively. I'm surprised how well she behaves at the dog park. She plays fetch better there than at the house. I wonder if it's her showing off hahaha. People are always trying to pet her at the dog park and she only wants to see the dogs haha

• Like 3

Tayamni is super submissive also. rolls on her back to let other dogs know she is not aggressive. It's funny because she will be especially submissive when greeting the dogs (not her pack friends) when she enters the park and is submissive only to more dominant dogs that enter the park after her. Pack hierarchy thing?

She is almost 3 now (can't believe it!) In this last year she finally started telling dogs not to hump her because she doesn't like it.

Coffey has always done that. They don't bite or make contact at all but make a good amount of noise at the side of the offender's face - in a 'drive by' style.

Some guy video taped it on his phone - of course he didn't get the part when his boxer mounted Coffey.....

Neither Tayamni nor Coffey has gotten into a fight at the dog park. I think they avoid it with their good communication skills and also responsible owner's making sure excitement levels don't escalate too much.

We have Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, German Shepherds, Belgian Shepherds, Vizslas, Pointers, Poodles, Rotties, Doberman pinchers, Labs, retreivers and everything in between. All sorts of personalities too!

Tayamni has virtually no hair on her abdomen and is tender there especially when dogs scratch her. I am proud she communicates to them now instead of just standing there.

We go to the dog park at least three times a week. They have a pack of friends and a lot of times like to just play stalk each other. They are always friendly to other dogs and I have watched through the years and growing that both dogs are excellent communicators with other dogs. It is the other owner's that don't understand sometimes and we have some in the park that don't want their dogs to play with other dogs. Funny people.

Since they grew up with a wolf hybrid at the dog park (he was a puppy at the same time as Tayamni) they play with all size dogs. Usually that means running after a dog that is playing fetch - or playing keep the stick away from other dogs (whoever has the stick).

Love the pics of Chepi and glad she is learning to behave better with your cats!

Sorry we missed you when we were traveling through Pensacola in June. Dog park with Chepi would have been fun!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

PS Chepi is gorgeous!!!!! (and that cat is too!)

• Like 1

Wyot is the same! He lays down in front of the dog, ears back flat, and his tail is wagging furiously....he does get pretty cocky after the dogs accept him, because...well, he is a puppy, lol!!! He wants to play all the time, while some of the older dogs just want to hang. Very rarely does he go between my legs for safety. We don't go to the dog park, just other people's homes where there are many dogs, or a beachy area by the river where we swim...or dogs come to our house.

Owners usually comment how smart Wyot is, because if they ask him to stop, he usually does (after the 4th time, lol!) So far, only one dog has tried to hump him, and he definitely does NOT like it...and tells them so with a swipe of the paw as he runs away (usually in a circle, as the other dog continues to try...)

• Like 3