Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Shipping A Puppy?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and anticipating a new puppy. We're in Chicago and though ideally would get out to OR to pick up our pup, because of timing, I'm wondering about the shipping option. What do you know about this? Do they drug the animals for this, is it traumatic? Kim has said that it's fine, but I'm wondering what you all think.

Also, what about flying with the puppy in a carrier on the plane?

Thanks for any advice.

Megan

• Like 2

Megan,

Best is flying first class with the puppy carrier. They tend to look away if you let the pup stick his head out or sleep on your lap. Next best is flying coach with the pup. They will survive shipping cargo. The experience may or may not be traumatic. Waki and Boone seemed to be negatively imprinted (no lasting issues with Waki) others come out w/o any impact.

• Like 1

I totally agree with Sherab. If you can swing the flight, do it. It was a long cargo flight and layover to TX. It was traumatic for Boone but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Still we would fly and bring the pup home with us next time. Yep we're already talking about our next one!

• Like 5

I flew with Moonfire in plane and gave her a mild puppy sedative from Petsmart...and she did sleep on the plane, but it was a very long flight with layover and it wore off in between....oh the noise and howling...plus reccommend diapers. Change in restroom ok

• Like 2

Tayamni had a 14 hour flight with layovers to get to South Florida. I am close to the airport and she evidently enjoyed the ride (but needed a bath as soon as she got home). She looked up and watched the planes fly over for the first months of her life here.

Tayamni is a littermate of Boone, but was shipped one week later. I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Their all so different and the same.

If I could have I would have gone out to SDK.

That said and knowing some have great flying experience and some don't - having to ship another pup would not stop me from getting one when I am ready.

Much depends on your flight attendant and your seat mate not being rigid...cakedollyflight1.jpgcakedollyflight2.jpgcakedollyflight3.jpgcakedollyflight4.jpg

Scott and another person had good luck at lay overs with puppy pee pads from the Petco or Petsmart. They just took these into the rest room at the airport. These have some sort of pee encouraging scent, not that we could smell it.

Oh and there was also a rock star effect of having a puuuuupeeeeee!!!, especially a Unicorn Puppy. You will need to hold it while they X ray the carrier and you go through the security. Also in the waiting area you may be able to hold the pup, again depending on how rigid the flight staff are. I'd be willing to bet that most either love puuuupeeeeeeees! or make the calculation that a howling pup is not as good for business as a quiet one.

Because you really have to have a hard heart to insist on making this howl: rentalcar.jpg

• Like 8

We flew with Kito (who slept like a baby the whole time). It was mommy who needed the sedative. :)

Flying with a carrier is no problem as long as you set up with the airline when you book the flight if going that route. Most carriers will also say as a selling point that they meet airline standards for measurements, etc. not a biggie there.

Edited by mommom

Our Kola did fine. If I recall, Kim made the flight arrangements, and the airline is familiar with the shipping of pups. Our guy got in early because they bumped him to a sooner flight at his lay-over so he wouldn't get to cold. The attendants are good to them :) We took Kola out right away and loved him up!! We have never crated him since! 1465731_10202330444999872_557656552_o.jpg1465882_10202330444959871_2080811197_o.jpg These first pics are right after we picked him up, and driving home 1400740_10202456574273025_423608191_o.jpg1401211_10202508620894158_339366911_o.jpg1488008_10202558219054081_1610805256_o.jpg1501370_10202644792018351_854028586_o.jpg A little spoiling never hurts :)1417589_10202482022549216_689989963_o.jpg Quickly adjusted....

• Like 4

We flew both of ours here to Chicago and picked 'em up at Delta cargo @ O'Hare. I think it was a little bit traumatic for Lili but Kona didn't seem to mind at all...but then that's just her style anyway.

One benefit of the cargo thing is that they view you as their rescuer when you grab them from the airport which is a great bonding thing. Both of my girls are totally bonded to me...Liliko'i more so than Kona but Kona is very bonded in her own rebellious way....for now....she'll grow out of the rebelliousness soon enough. They're both bonded to the other members of the household too but there's something more there with me & I attribute that to the fact that I picked them up from the airport when they arrived.

Welcome to the forum Meg!

• Like 1

Hi! We are long time owners and have actually owned 8 of these critters. We have done both ... gone to Orehon and had pups shipped? They do great being shipped. Kim dies not sedate the pups but they travel remarkably well! Just thought I'd chime in cuz it's been awhile supine I've posted comments!

Judy K in northern Michigan

• Like 3

I would just add that if you go out to SKD you have the benefit of meeting the candidates in person. Some folks even drive out with their other 4 legged family members. I believe JudyK from Michigan did that.

Hi Karen!!!!! Spring is trying to come to northern Michigan. How is everyone in your neck of the woods??? Haven't been on here in awhile!

Drop me a line when you have time so we can chat!!!

• Like 1

Awesome, Judy you have changed our lives in a most delightful way. I want to see if we can connect and my little monkeys can come on by for your inspection. Off to Lansing this weekend, ping you next week and see if we can connect. :)

Please to say that i will be heading down to SDK on May 16th to pick up my new best friend :) it's a long road trip, but, well worth it! I'm also curious to ask here(cause i've asked kim too many questions already) what the remaining payment amount is suppose to be in US dollars? Of course i've given the standard $500 deposit already.

• Like 1

The deposit you provided should have been one half of the cost of the purchase price of the pup, as was stated on the sales agreement. The remainder should be $500 U.S. dollars since you are driving down to pick up and no shipping cost is necessary. Have a safe trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Eeeeeek! You're heading out tomorrow Brandon! Safe travels! Can't wait to see and hopefully meet your puppy before the gathering. It was wonderful of you to come to the island and meet Picasso with your family.

• Like 1