Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Update On Kaposia

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This morning while we were out running errands, she figured out how to roll down the power windows in the van. No fluke, 6-8 times she crawled over my lap, studied the button, pressed it with her paw,

Yes, Nytebyker, Kaposia is from Choco X Raven, 3/23/15. More updates...she's finally big enough to "mouth" a tennis ball. We've had 6 accident free days with the house training (she's finally got me t

...been in a bit of a directionless free fall since retirement...rediscovered my sketch book today...

Posted Images

I like that picture. She has a great stance, and it seems so right for her to be helping with the chores.

Kooskie mostly runs away with the kindling.

• Like 1

I'd love to hear more about a bit bossy at bedtime....we have a little bratty/bossy behavior here and would love to know what you do. She is so pretty BTW.

• Like 1

With the bedtime bossy/dominant behavior we used the tethering technique recommended by the Monks of New Skeet. Using a 4 foot leash looped around one of the feet of our bed, we tethered her to our bed. We did this when she was about 10-12 months old (that's when the bedtime crazies started with her.) We would leave her tied there all night. It usually took 15-20 minutes of her bucking and fighting the tether before she realized that she wasn't going to win this one, and she'd settle down to sleep on the floor. We did this for 6 weeks, and she learned that she did not own the bed, we did. Now, it depends on whether you want the dog to sleep on her own designated bed, or on your bed with you, how you show her where her designated place is. The Monks do not recommend letting the dog sleep on your bed, but we do, and now at 19 months she settles in nicely and sleeps at our feet. For a time she would occasionally test us and get rowdy and bossy, and then it was back on the tether, but we would let her off to join us when she settled down. She got the idea with those little reminders. I think when our grandson dog sat for us, she was just doing the normal pack thing and challenging his dominant position at bedtime again. We had instructed him in how to tether, and when to let her off to join him, and it worked just fine. We have a two story house, and during the day we block off the stairs with a movable gate so she doesn't have access to the bedrooms. We've heard too many stories of dogs wrecking bedding and even mattresses. She knows upstairs is for night time sleeping with her people only.

Edited by LakeGirl
  • Like 3

Haven't the Monks heard of a "two dog night"???? LOL! :P:D

• Like 1
With the bedtime bossy/dominant behavior we used the tethering technique recommended by the Monks of New Skeet. Using a 4 foot leash looped around one of the feet of our bed, we tethered her to our bed. We did this when she was about 10-12 months old (that's when the bedtime crazies started with her.) We would leave her tied there all night. It usually took 15-20 minutes of her bucking and fighting the tether before she realized that she wasn't going to win this one, and she'd settle down to sleep on the floor. We did this for 6 weeks, and she learned that she did not own the bed, we did. Now, it depends on whether you want the dog to sleep on her own designated bed, or on your bed with you, how you show her where her designated place is. The Monks do not recommend letting the dog sleep on your bed, but we do, and now at 19 months she settles in nicely and sleeps at our feet. For a time she would occasionally test us and get rowdy and bossy, and then it was back on the tether, but we would let her off to join us when she settled down. She got the idea with those little reminders. I think when our grandson dog sat for us, she was just doing the normal pack thing and challenging his dominant position at bedtime again. We had instructed him in how to tether, and when to let her off to join him, and it worked just fine. We have a two story house, and during the day we block off the stairs with a movable gate so she doesn't have access to the bedrooms. We've heard too many stories of dogs wrecking bedding and even mattresses. She knows upstairs is for night time sleeping with her people only.

Thanks so much-- we were getting some of that bossy stuff and he was in bed with us.. now he sleeps in a x-pen right outside our bedroom and he seems happy there -he gets invited into our bed sometimes around 5 as the cat likes to wake him and tease him in the early morn and that allows another hour usually...I might try the tether when he slows down on dog bed destruction. He gets his snip snip next week so hoping that will calm the waters a little. They do get the idea -you just have to be a little more hard headed than they are!! :ph34r:

• Like 2

NorCal, thanks for the compliment on Kaposia being so pretty. She is. Other than feeding her the best we can, making sure she gets plenty of exercise, and loving the daylights out of her, we can't take credit for anything. Kim just really knows what he's doing in breeding these dogs. I'd like to add yet, on the sleeping situation, that now that she knows the routine for bedtime it has become so sweet. She settles in and goes to sleep almost immediately, but has to have her back up against either Denny's feet or mine. In the morning she lays still until one of us moves or stretches, then she Army crawls up between us and lays quiet for another 20 minutes or so, and then she wants a belly rub and some cuddles, then it's up to start the day. Can't think of a better, happier wake up. She has such a sweet perceptive temperament. We pray for meals and before bed, and...don't know what it is...I think she picks up on the energy of what we are doing, but she always stops what she's doing and lays down by us quietly until we say Amen. She's really fitting in and making such wonderful contributions to our family the more she matures.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Listen, listen, listen to your dogs! Over Christmas we stayed with our daughter and fiance' in their old, huge, drafty, bat infested victorian house. Bats hibernate, but awaken every 2-3 weeks to drink water and urinate. There was a big warm up in the weather Friday and Saturday sending huge ice dams rumbling and crashing down from the 3rd story roof, which probably stirred up the bats. Saturday night, Kaposia just wouldn't settle down and go to bed, jumping all over, barking her head off. We took her outside three times....that was not the problem. We were very tired, and just wondred why all of a sudden she was so "naughty." This went on until after 1:00 AM and was so uncharacteristic for her. We were there for 3 nights, and Saturday was the only night she acted up. The rest of the time she settled down and slept as per usual. Fast forward to Tuesday evening...we're home again and out for a sandwich at Portillo's. Under the bright lights over the table, I see two little tiny perfectly triangular fang marks in the back of my hand! Didn't see a bat, didn't feel a bite, but there must have been a bat in the room Saturday night. Went to the ER, and I am currently doing the post exposure protocol (PEP) for rabies. Glad we went out to eat, glad I saw the bite and was able to begin treatment within the 7-10 day window post exposure. Didn't find any marks on Denny, and contrary to my urging he's refusing treatment. Hope it was a healthy bat. Listen to your dogs!

• Like 3

These dogs are VERY in tune! Glad you saw that and are getting preventive treatment. It's spiders that always bite me. I've been lucky around bats but they've never been stirred up like what happened where you were.

• 1 month later...

Hey, that's pretty nice!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Lake Girl, your drawings of Kaposia are fantastic. I love the way you have captured personality. Terrific.

Yum,...erasers...

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Yes, Kaposia will be 3 in March and has topped out at 35 pounds. When Kim interviewed us to get on the list he knew we needed a smaller dog with a medium energy level, and that is exactly what Kaposia is....so perfect for us. I'm so amazed over and over again how Kim made this perfect match. Waiting to hear stories from the "newbies" on the list as they receive their pups and they grow as family together. Hope we have many more new active posters on the forum.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

We should try to get Kaposia, Kekona & Liliko'i together in 2018. I'm in Lisle.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm game....How do you want to handle this?

By the way, we're headed to Sherab's place for Memorial Day for our annual AID time....FYI.

(Sorry about the long time between posts....busy busy busy. Hit me up at chris@airfloeq.com)

• Like 1