• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TrueNorth

TrueNorth

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Northern Ontario getaways. Clear lakes, kayaks & a full moon. Nature lover, fire dreamer, intuitive.
    Drawn to Native culture, grew up beside Kanesetake (Oka), Quebec.
    Volunteer with dog rescue group doing work in Quebec, Ontario & Mexico.
    American Indian dogs are such a unique and rare treasure.
    We are blessed.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

Hi all,

Just found out what I had thought was originally a pimple (albeit growing larger) - is in fact a papilloma.

It is thankfully benign and there is only the one one just below her lower lip. 

Our vet said keep an eye on it but it should go away on its own.  Caused by virus and can be contagious to other dogs.

Showed me some awful cases.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Greg/Kim= FYI.  

Thanks from Jo and Khya in Toronto

#2 Tervlab

Tervlab

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Hiking & Traveling with my dogs, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Dog Sports (Agility, Obedience, Rally)

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:49 PM

Teak had one of these (very small one) as a pup & it went away fairly quickly.  Had to keep an eye on our other dog but she never did get any.

Cj

#3 woodrat

woodrat

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:The dogs, photography, drawing, taxidermy, needle felting, hiking, dog behavior.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

Both my boys had one each when they were young - both took a little over a month to go away. Wasn't an issue aside from having to keep them away from other dogs during that time.

My old dog at the time, however, did get them from Tamarack and he ended up with a whole mouthful of them that bled every time he ate because they got between his teeth. It was gross!

#4 TrueNorth

TrueNorth

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Northern Ontario getaways. Clear lakes, kayaks & a full moon. Nature lover, fire dreamer, intuitive.
    We are blessed.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

thank you...did your vet offer to laser them off because they were inside the mouth?  I am keeping Khya away from all other dogs until this is gone!

#5 Tervlab

Tervlab

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Hiking & Traveling with my dogs, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Dog Sports (Agility, Obedience, Rally)

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:05 AM

Not for us.. He only had 1 and it went away pretty quickly.

Cj

#6 JackG

JackG

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:horseback riding, dogs

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:22 AM

he ended up with a whole mouthful of them that bled every time he ate because they got between his teeth

I was eating when I read that last night and good lord that was disgusting

#7 TrueNorth

TrueNorth

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
    We are blessed.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

LMAO

#8 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:54 PM

Oh my gosh, I have not heard of this.  It has not been a problem in the kennels.  Do you go to dog parks?

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#9 woodrat

woodrat

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:The dogs, photography, drawing, taxidermy, needle felting, hiking, dog behavior.

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:38 PM

thank you...did your vet offer to laser them off because they were inside the mouth?  I am keeping Khya away from all other dogs until this is gone!

No they didn't, but this was nearly 8 years ago now. They did go away on their own and I don't think they were painful (or if they were it was not apparent), it was just really, really gross.

Oh my gosh, I have not heard of this.  It has not been a problem in the kennels.  Do you go to dog parks?

Yes with the kennels being pretty isolated it would have to be introduced from an outside source somehow. I've only heard of them affecting puppies and older dogs with weak immune systems (common name around here is 'puppy warts'). They are harmless in young dogs with normal immune systems aside from simply being unsightly! They are not uncommon in dog parks and are spread by skin to skin contact with the wart, which of course easily happens during play, and shared water buckets with warty dogs.

#10 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

Neither Tayamni or Coffey has had it.  When we were going to our dog park there was a woman friendly with our DP group that brought her dog who was one day full of them on his face.

She said her Vet stated the dog got them at the dog park so she was bringing (her infected) dog back to play.

We all asked her to be responsible & leave until the dog is better because none of our dogs in the group had the "warts" and we didn't want them if we could help it.

That's been my only experience with them.  I guess the Papilloma is everywhere.

#11 Tervlab

Tervlab

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Oh geez..... People are sooo STUPID sometimes...really?  

Cj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users