Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Elena is Ice Blue x Jay's 2014 Fall Pups but looks like these dogs :*)

Nanette,

Oops - sorry for the mix up :wub:

I don't know why I keep thinking Elena is the pup that was Talulah - maybe 'cause Talulah didn't post after initial getting home safe and then I adopted Elena ?????? :P

- ORRR - I have gotten old ..... grrrrrrr

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Checking in with an update on Kaposia and the fears of fan motor noises. Patience...she no longer exhibits any fear of these noises at 10 months. Just a matter of processing things on her own and growing up, I think. The crate is definitely not for her. She really needs the freedom to be near us. She also now does just fine when we leave her free in the house when we are gone...doesn't touch a thing she's not supposed to. Snatching contraband is more of a problem when we ARE home and she wants to get our attention and play! Another fear she exhibited for awhile was fear of fire and smoke. We did nothing to discourage that, as it seems to me just a good instinct in any creature. She also processed through that on her own, and now thinks she has to help with building fires in the fireplace. She's especially fascinated with the bellows. Sometimes I think our expectations get ahead of what we can reasonably expect from the dogs normal growth curve.

• Like 1

And it's so weird that you can have issues and train and train and not think it's helping and then one day as the puppy dog gets older - you wake up and that behavior has changed.

(the collective "You" as in me - LOL)

Then it's head scratching time: "Who took my puppy and replaced it with a look-a-like!"

I'm still amazed by the growing in their sleep. Sometimes its drastic!

LakeGirl, would love to see a pic of Kaposia supervising the fire builds and watching the bellows. I'm picturing the intense curiosity/thinking face ...

• Like 1

Kekona has developed a fear of visitors. Strange because in her youth (in which she is still ) she was fearless but at Thanksgiving last year she was terrified of the house-full of people. We had about 12 or so I guess but she was super skittish and didn't want to interact with anyone. It was so weird given her previous personality of engagement with everybody & anyone. Haven't noticed this at the park though, she's still the same old Kona at the park. Running to people demanding a share of loving then trotting off to engage another dog.

We had some business associates in from out of town last weekend for some meetings and brought the dogs to the office so they could meet (they're all dog people) and Kona was super skittish...kind of sad actually. One of the guys was trying so hard to corral her which just drove her away. I had to gently suggest that he let her come to him, which she never did.

I'm chalking it up to adolescence and it being a phase. Keeping a close watch on her and not making a big deal out of the fear lest she imprints on it.

Liliko'i just looks at her as if to say, "...c'mon ya goof...they're fun!"

I agree that they seem to constantly take in new data and process it and develop new reactions and behavior. It's true that my GSDs do some of that but not nearly as much. This year I watched them processing ice and rotten ice information where in past years they really didn't pay attention but we didn't have a winter of constant freeze thaw cycles either. We are up north with all 3 and we've become careful to walk the little dogs w/o Shiva lest they pick up GSD "bad" habits (being suspicious, aloof and barking at other dogs if the other dog barks at us). Waki in particular is very protective of Shiva in his wheel chair and seems keen to monkey every activity since he sees it as his responsibility to take on pack leadership as much as possible. We pulled into the resort where the little ones have been several times and they were joyous then Shiva decides to defend the car from the snow machine and a little switch goes in Waki's face - I could see him thinking and he then changed his behavior entirely. Out on their own they greet everyone and every thing, don't bark at the grooming equipment and don't care about the race noises. On the other hand, we've had more coyotes near the house since Tara passed and Shiva's hearing is not so good. This seemed to make Waki afraid of pooping after dark but with Shiva by his side they both do their business :). Dogs are funny. I'm sure Kona - radiant, attention loving Kona - will reappear. She's probably just hitting that weird teen time.

• Like 1

Yea, that's kind of how we feel too at the moment. She's still herself, just a little bit more reserved. It was in the sixties here today (winter?) so we made it to the park early (still low fifties actually) so she got a good run on...but she had no problem with anyone at the park. It's so weird.

Cake has become more selective, and seems to have honed her instincts about people and animals. Maybe Kona is running her algorithms to figure out her adult self. Cake would go through these skittish phases last fall and winter. She sees to have come into herself lately.

I bet Kona comes out the other side in a few months and then when she doesn't like something you will be suspicious of it.

• Like 3

Agreed...you can certainly see the wheels turning. She's absolutely glued to me at the hip, which is nice, but she's very wary of anyone outside our circle of three (myself, Julie & our son Nick).

I took my sister Mary to Graceland last weekend along with my Mom, we had a great time, Sis is a huge Elvii aficionado so she'd had a desire to see the holy land for quiet some time now ... so for her 60th BDay I pitched the idea of taking her on a trip down to Memphis for the pilgrimage ... which she accepted.

Graceland_1.jpg Graceland_2.jpg Graceland_3.jpg

So the night before we left (driving of course, she won't fly...this is a post about fear after all) I thought it best to have her stay with us from a logistical standpoint to make it easier.

Anyway, Kekona wouldn't go near her...very wary, nervous & skittish around her and she's very much a 'dog' person. She's more of the high pitched, sing song-y type of dog person, not a good energy for our spirit dogs...not a bad energy but just something that Kona isn't used to. She'd stayed with us one other time since Kona came to us & the pup was not even remotely nervous around her...in fact, slept with her that night. Mary was a bit upset by this fact because she's such a dog lover & she was hoping to spend a little time with her.

Liliko'i slept with her this time...spirit healer that she is... :rolleyes:

• Like 3