Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

*snap* And My Dog Goes Crazy

I have a great little pup named Bandit. He's 11 weeks, fun, and generally good, but I've been wondering about his behavior.

Just about every night there's a point where he seems to "snap" and just go crazy! I take him out to potty after dark, he sniffs around, does his business, maybe wanders a bit, and then - like flipping a switch - he just starts running out of control all over the place!

Tonight I took him on a short walk-we try to exercise him enough. He did great walking near me and not pulling on the leash much. But then toward the end - snap - he's crazy. ...should have named him Mr. Hyde. I let him run around the yard a little, thinking he might burn some energy, then I brought him inside and into his pen (it's about 4 by 6 ft or so - he sleeps in a smaller crate at night). I quietly left him alone, but instead of settling down as usual, he actually got pretty worked up with his toys. I took the culprits away, but then it seemed he just needed to go out again. So I tried to calmly put his leash on and take him out the way we always do it, but he would not give me his attention and really gave me a hard time. I more or less forced him out (I had to pin him down, hold his muzzle closed because he was nipping, etc, etc). He played a little outside and then suddenly went insane again running back and forth and around in circles as fast as he could, out of control. ...if it wasn't concerning, it would be cute.

Does he have problems, do I have problems, is it normal, will he grow out of it...? I'd sure dread having an adult that was unpredicably prone to going crazy.

My family and I are watching a lot of Cesar Millan and we're really trying to get that calm submissiveness in our home. We're careful about being consistent and assertive, imposing our leadership and authority. Are we maybe trying too hard at this age? He's so smart, he already does so much for his age, but maybe that's caused our expectations to climb too high. What are reasonable expectations for behavior and obendience at 11 weeks. When should our expectations be higher?

Thanks!

I have a great little pup named Bandit. He's 11 weeks, fun, and generally good, but I've been wondering about his behavior.

Just about every night there's a point where he seems to "snap" and just go crazy! I take him out to potty after dark, he sniffs around, does his business, maybe wanders a bit, and then - like flipping a switch - he just starts running out of control all over the place!

Tonight I took him on a short walk-we try to exercise him enough. He did great walking near me and not pulling on the leash much. But then toward the end - snap - he's crazy. ...should have named him Mr. Hyde. I let him run around the yard a little, thinking he might burn some energy, then I brought him inside and into his pen (it's about 4 by 6 ft or so - he sleeps in a smaller crate at night). I quietly left him alone, but instead of settling down as usual, he actually got pretty worked up with his toys. I took the culprits away, but then it seemed he just needed to go out again. So I tried to calmly put his leash on and take him out the way we always do it, but he would not give me his attention and really gave me a hard time. I more or less forced him out (I had to pin him down, hold his muzzle closed because he was nipping, etc, etc). He played a little outside and then suddenly went insane again running back and forth and around in circles as fast as he could, out of control. ...if it wasn't concerning, it would be cute.

Does he have problems, do I have problems, is it normal, will he grow out of it...? I'd sure dread having an adult that was unpredicably prone to going crazy.

My family and I are watching a lot of Cesar Millan and we're really trying to get that calm submissiveness in our home. We're careful about being consistent and assertive, imposing our leadership and authority. Are we maybe trying too hard at this age? He's so smart, he already does so much for his age, but maybe that's caused our expectations to climb too high. What are reasonable expectations for behavior and obendience at 11 weeks. When should our expectations be higher?

Thanks!

Hello "Cheese". No your dog does NOT have problems - he isn't crazy. We've had six of these dogs and they all do that. It's exercise! Your pup is only 11 weeks old - he's a pup. He's got to explore and get the feel of where he is. Your expectations for an 11 week old pup are way tooooo high. Let him be a puppy. Do you keep him in a pen all day? He needs to know he's a part of your family. Yes, the nipping will stop. A very loud NO when he does is is good as well as flipping him over (like his mother would) and tellling him NO. Consistency and tough love. Remember everything that Kim told you about this breed. How many people are correcting him??????

I would not be concerned about his 'flipping his switch' because even our 12 year old AID does it. Again, just my 2 cents!

JudyK in Michigan

I concur with JudyK.

Jasper is about the same age, and he goes all Crazy-Dog a couple times a day (we are in Oregon, so our temps are more moderate)

He gets his Spaz on and raaaaces around and jumps and bites at the shrubbery on the way by. Fortunately we have another dog to help wear him out. She is part BC so she 'herds' him and they chase and wrestle. I am also teaching him to fetch a tennis ball and/or rope toy- so that helps.

We had to be consistent about the 'no biting' for several days before he totally got it. If we were playing and he clamped down with his teeth, we just said "Ow!"- got up and stopped playing. He would then find something else to do. After about half a dozen times, he began to understand that Teeth on Skin (or clothing) meant the fun stopped. And now he is very gentle with this teefs! Jasper does like to gently hold my hand sometimes tho. But only gently, usually as part of a yawn, and then holds for 5-10 seconds after- wagging his tail a little and with ears softened back. :) I think it is a way he shows affection...

I also almost always carry treats (film canisters are fantastic for that) in my pocket. I cut them into small bits, so he gets a little taste of something yummy for getting things right. [Treats should only comprise about 10% of their diet- or you can use their regular food] And I utilize many opportunities to help him get it right. When I can see him thinking of doing something he shouldn't, I call him over (and give a treat) ask him to 'sit' (and give a treat) and tell him he is a Good Boy! Lately I have been working on having him 'magically appear' when I go outside. I let him have a little time to be himself, while I put away dishes or something (and can watch him out the kitchen window!) and then go outside and call him (with treat ready!) and now he's almost always either on his way, or already at the door when I go outside! (and about half the time he still gets a treat!)

Consistency and PATIENCE are the key. They are baby puppies. Everything is still new and novel and Must be explored and discovered. And a lot of their exploration is done with their mouths. They have to try all their options before they know what's what. And they are so new/young that they don't know what you want or expect. So you must set a good example and teach in a fair and loving way, but with consistency and firmness. And remember also- the dog they will be for the next 15 yrs or so, is the reward for the work you put into the puppy now!

Oh, and our 10+ yr old BC cross also still sometimes get "Crazy-Dog"

I think it is normal, and just a way for them to burn off excess energy/excitement.

All the dogs I've know do it occasionally. Just think of puppies as Condensed Dogs.. lol so they have all this energy and have to burn it off every day, sometimes more than once.

Lucky you, that it cools off enough that he feels the crazy phase, right before bed. It will soon be Fall, and that should help him to sleep. It does take a while for them to get in tune to your schedule, and sleep through the night.

The crazies are fun. Enjoy them.

I have upgraded your account.

:) Ears back, head low, hind legs digging in, the blurrrrrr of movement, circle runs, straight runs, dodging invisible objects, what a hoot. Pups, I could watch this energy being spent all day. They are having a ball. Enjoy it! :D

Thanks all for the insights and encouragements. Yes, he is just a pup and adjusting our expectations to fit his age will help a lot.

...he is really cute when he goes crazy. I guess I was just concerned that he'd grow up to be wild and unpredictable if we didn't figure out a way to control his behavior. He's not a bad dog by any means - but my inexperience leaves me with a lot of questions and unknowns. So thanks for your help.

Other suggestions/comments/advice?

Thanks.

:) Ears back, head low, hind legs digging in, the blurrrrrr of movement, circle runs, straight runs, dodging invisible objects, what a hoot.

Yep, that's him to a tee! Craaaaaazy! Now I'll have an easier time going with it and helping him exercise his energy out.

:) Ears back, head low, hind legs digging in, the blurrrrrr of movement, circle runs, straight runs, dodging invisible objects, what a hoot.

Like this?

forestrun1.jpg

Hey Cheese. My little Ziva is just over 8 weeks and she does the same thing. She just needs to stretch her body and get some movement. Puppies have so much energy!!

Right now Ziva is spending most of her inside time in her crate because she has been having accidents in the house, even AFTER taking her outside to go potty. Now when we go out during the day I let her run a bit before we come back in. If we come straight back inside, I let her have 5-10 minutes out and then back in she goes to avoid accidents. I have a toddler and it is hard to keep her out of the wet spots on the carpet.

As for the nipping, Ziva does a lot of that too. When she gets into her crazy bursts of Mr.Hyde and it is close to bed time, I try first to tell her, "enough". If she doesn't stop nipping and biting me then it turns into, "no" as well as a good roll over. If that does not help, she goes into her crate to calm down. Once she calms down she gets some attention. I put 3 chew toys in her crate. She loves them and they keep her busy. She bites them instead of me. I suggest you should consider giving those back to you little guy so he is not bored.

When she gets into her crazy bursts of Mr.Hyde and it is close to bed time, I try first to tell her, "enough". If she doesn't stop nipping and biting me then it turns into, "no" as well as a good roll over. If that does not help, she goes into her crate to calm down. Once she calms down she gets some attention. I put 3 chew toys in her crate. She loves them and they keep her busy. She bites them instead of me. I suggest you should consider giving those back to you little guy so he is not bored.

So does she see the crate as punishment? Our pup usually settles down pretty well in his pen or crate, but given space, he gets pretty excited and nippy. He gets outside regularly, and he's walked regularly so he's not cooped up all day. We're letting him have a little more freedom in the house, but he's so nippy that he can't be out for long. So short periods out of his pen in the house.

...BTW I only took those toys away until he settled down - they were reinforcing his high stimulation. He did end up settling down and getting his toys back.

He actually doesn't usually seem all that interested in his toys. He much prefers hands, toes, legs, chairs, etc. Sometimes his nips seem almost rebelious - like, "make me stop." We don't let him get away with it, but as a result, he spends most of his indoor time in his pen. ...he seems content.

So tonight he snapped as usual and went totally crazy. Yes, it was fun to watch and I even joined in the game. But then he got pretty agressive with his nipping - not angry or scared aggressive, just more forceful and persistent even than usual. So I tried the suggestions: stern "no," fingers down the throat, on his back, gentle, etc. ...nothing. And I didn't just give it a half hearted effort and give up right away. He was just SO wound up that he didn't respond to anything. So I just had to get up and walk inside and leave him be in the back yard. Then, after a while, I brought him in and put him in his pen. He settled down and is snoozing peacefully right now.

I'm thinking I need to quit playing much sooner, especially since it doesn't seem like any other method so far is communicating to him. However, I don't want this to be interpreted by him as "Oh, I just bullied the human into submission and now he's running inside scared." Also, I'd rather teach him what TO do instead of what NOT to do. ...but I want him TO play (which he does), but NOT to bite, so I'm at a loss.

Now, having said all that, he's a really sweet, great pup and we enjoy him very much. I just want to make sure his current behavior, and our reaction to it won't lead to problems as an adult.

He actually doesn't usually seem all that interested in his toys. He much prefers hands, toes, legs, chairs, etc. Sometimes his nips seem almost rebelious - like, "make me stop." We don't let him get away with it, but as a result, he spends most of his indoor time in his pen. ...he seems content.

It seems like you have a few different things going on, and you are trying a scattershot approach, which might be confusing the pup.

Some dogs chew more than others. Even if Bandit doesn't seem interested in his toys, you need to give him a healthy outlet for his need to chew. Bully sticks are great - it is really unlikely that he will turn his nose up at them. Buy a bunch of them. When my one dog was young, we went through at least $30 a month in chew toys and sticks a month for at least a year (and that was 12 years ago!). Wear his jaw out a little; it will help, honestly, and he will be happier. Try the size meant for him, and one size up, which might tire his jaw out a little more. Just don't use the big ones too much, you don't want to stress his jaw out while he is growing. As he gets older his drive to chew will lessen.

If he's not getting to play because he's chewing and nipping, he's got reserves of puppy energy that have no outlet. Getting outside and walking aren't the same as roughhousing and pouncing and playing. Maybe you can teach him how to fetch or do some other fun game that won't involve his mouth on you. Personally, I don't play tug with pups because I don't want them biting to play with me, but other people do with no problem. From the sounds of it, you shouldn't play tug with Bandit right now IMO.

Rolling him over isn't something I'd do often. It's what dogs do to pups when they need to put them in their place, and it's a serious thing. I doubt I did it to Danza more than 3 or 4 times. You need to be deliberate, and serious, and mad, and growly, and mean it. If you do it too much or do it in exasperation it will lose its meaning.

Give him space to be a pup, and don't lose hope or patience. His behavior right now does not mean that he's going to become a bad dog.

Karen, I really like what you said. I did not realize rolling them could lose its steam. I will be watching myself with that.

Cheese, no Ziva does not see her crate as a form of punnishment. She loves her crate. We used to leave the crate door open and let her come out and play as she wanted until she started peeing on my carpet. Now everytime I take her out to go potty we also have play time after. I make sure we handle our potty business first every time.

We use the crate as a tool. It is her bed/ time out area/ safe place. We do put her in the crate when she needs to stop the negative behavior, but we also put her in when she is being very good. It may sound like this may confuse her, but I assure you she knows the difference. She is not stupid and she can hear the difference in our voices and see it in our actions and body language.

I don't know about you, but I sometimes forget she is a puppy in a new environment adjusting to a new life with new rules. They have sooooooooo much energy and when they are in their natural environment together, all they do is rough-house. They learn a lot through rough-housing or rough and tumble play.

I guess all I am saying is what you are experiencing is normal and all you can do is train him to do what you want as best you can. Are you considering training classes? I plan on starting as soon as 3 weeks from now. I can't hardly wait.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope I helped at least a little.

Karen, I really like what you said. I did not realize rolling them could lose its steam. I will be watching myself with that.

Cheese, no Ziva does not see her crate as a form of punnishment. She loves her crate. We used to leave the crate door open and let her come out and play as she wanted until she started peeing on my carpet. Now everytime I take her out to go potty we also have play time after. I make sure we handle our potty business first every time.

We use the crate as a tool. It is her bed/ time out area/ safe place. We do put her in the crate when she needs to stop the negative behavior, but we also put her in when she is being very good. It may sound like this may confuse her, but I assure you she knows the difference. She is not stupid and she can hear the difference in our voices and see it in our actions and body language.

I don't know about you, but I sometimes forget she is a puppy in a new environment adjusting to a new life with new rules. They have sooooooooo much energy and when they are in their natural environment together, all they do is rough-house. They learn a lot through rough-housing or rough and tumble play.

I guess all I am saying is what you are experiencing is normal and all you can do is train him to do what you want as best you can. Are you considering training classes? I plan on starting as soon as 3 weeks from now. I can't hardly wait.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope I helped at least a little.

Cheese

I agree 10,000% with Karen. These are puppies, still learning and trying to find their routine. Like I told you, our oldest is 12 and she's STILL learning. Maybe the fact that the pup is in a pen so much is frustrating to her too. She needs exercise and to be a part of your family, not in a pen. These dogs are not like other dogs. They want to be a part of you. They want to spend time with you and learn. They are extremely smart dogs and will do anything to please. She may be nipping because shes's not getting enough one-on-one with you and she's rebelling. If you're frustrated now, wait until the terrible twos set in!! You must be patient with her. At 11 weeks old her life is just beginning. Remember what Kim told you about these pups when you decided to make one a part of your family. Let your dog have freedom and get to know you. It could be that she's feeding off of your negative behavior toward her. Let her be a puppy and enjoy her puppy time - she will grow up faster than you can imagine. That's why when people ask us about ours (and we've had six of these guys) we tell them that this breed isn't for everyone. They require time and lots of exercise. We walk three miles every morning and night no matter what the weather is!!!!!! Just enjoy her and get through this puppy time.

JudyK in Michidgan

This all sounds so familiar.......chewing, nipping, and trying all the things that have been suggested as training measures only to have the pup think it's more play time. I went through this with Tolinka, and discovered that if I played with him reeeeeeeeally gently, (feather touch) it would soften him. I discovered that he is a very, very sensitive dog to the touch. I would barely touch him and he would respond in a big way (non-nipping). I started to think about the gentle touches of "mom dog," and realized that I was being a bit too heavy on the hand. I thought I was being gentle, but Tolinka didn't. That's why I mentioned "feather touch." Then I started to study him reeeeeeeeeally closely, I learned to recognize when his toggle switch flipped into crazy nipping mode (watch the eyes) and just before that happened I would stop playing with him. Settle him down, have him complete a command, like "sit" and give him a treat. And then move on to something else. Through doing this I also figured out that he is the type of dog that wants to learn his "lessons" through play. That also helped tons. Its more understanding of what my pup is trying to say to me. I learned to listen to him, and try to meet somewhere on a middle ground. He would still nip when asking to play or get excited when other people (adults, but always gentle with my grand kids, 4,3,1, years old) were around. It turns out that this is a form of communication with him however it is VERY gentle today. (1 year old) Every dog seems to be different, just like us humans. It takes time to learn the communication that will develop between the two of you, and once you do, its a beautiful thing :( . He is studying you now and trying to figure you out, and you need to study him too.

Another 10 cents worth.....good luck, and PATIENCE be with you. I know this is really frustrating and difficult, but it will all turn around and your pup will be "golden."

I almost spit my coffee all over the computer - you pup is not crazy - just full of energy they need to burn off. Brian will take Soul on a 3 mile walk and when they get home he does the "mad dash" from one end of the house to the other - we love it!

It's part of the DNA - I think Judy K and many others have the same experience. Let her/him play it out - and make sure there is a path through the house. Soul runs the same one each and every day...ears back, head low, tail tucked - full out flying. There's a vid of it somewhere on here...hmmmm...now where did that go?

I almost spit my coffee all over the computer - you pup is not crazy - just full of energy they need to burn off. Brian will take Soul on a 3 mile walk and when they get home he does the "mad dash" from one end of the house to the other - we love it!

It's part of the DNA - I think Judy K and many others have the same experience. Let her/him play it out - and make sure there is a path through the house. Soul runs the same one each and every day...ears back, head low, tail tucked - full out flying. There's a vid of it somewhere on here...hmmmm...now where did that go?

Yep, Deb, you're right! All three of them do the mad dash through the house a couple of times and then I just open up the back door and out they go, only to continue it around and around the yard, then total collapse and a loud "Ah, that felt good", a few gulps of water and they crash! Actually, it's very funny to watch!!

And like this:

Chhaya at around 3 months:

At 9 months she now knows when play time and going to the barn to care for the horses is. She is not always happy if I'm running late etc. and will bark and give me the looks. She's learning patience. It will come. Try to stay consistent. Sometimes I just have to stop cooking dinner and throw the ball or frisbee a few times so I can finish cooking in peace!!!

21_19A.jpg

And like this:

Chhaya at around 3 months:

At 9 months she now knows when play time and going to the barn to care for the horses is. She is not always happy if I'm running late etc. and will bark and give me the looks. She's learning patience. It will come. Try to stay consistent. Sometimes I just have to stop cooking dinner and throw the ball or frisbee a few times so I can finish cooking in peace!!!

You are so right on Maria. I can't tell you how many times that happened to me with Tolinka. The nice thing is that it all eventually stops, and dinner can be cooked in peace.....they learn :D PDQ.

Ha Ha Miz Molly!!! You are right about the PDQ!!! Food coming up changes things ha ha! These dogs are a challenge but life is so good with them isn't it?

absooooooooooolutely :lol: They truly are amazing. Now that I have lived with one for a year, I can't imagine living without one. I could kick myself for not having one sooner...oh well. This has been a life changing experience for me and all for the better. I just love these dogs :wub: It is a slice of heaven when they figure out the routines of our lives, and understand that counter surfing is NOT a good thing. I'll never forget Kim saying that "they have to fit into your life, not you theirs." I had lots to learn in raising this pup out of puppy hood, :ph34r: we definitely had our moments. :D:wacko::lol: and its all been a great experience. :D I now have a dog who is truly my best buddy, and I learned how to be a gentle alpha, B) That made all the difference in the world. Life is great.