Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi All,

I'm curious and wonder if anyone else's dog uses this social behavior?

Muzzle Grabs.

Tayamni and Coffey play rough but have always grabbed each other by the neck.

Tayamni also pulls Coffey away from other dogs, especially when he is being overbearing excited to a puppy.

The other day I thought Tayamni got her mouth stuck in Coffey's collar but she was doing a muzzle grab, yet some what sideways because Coffey was grabbing her neck/collar.

Then this morning I saw her standing directly in front of him doing a muzzle grab and he was standing very calm.

She doesn't bite, growl or use much pressure, just opens her mouth and covers his.

She is 2 yrs and almost 5 months and Coffey is 1 yr 8 months. He is still gets reactive overexcited at things, we are working on that and it may just be he is growing up a but later than Tayamni?

Is she moving into a next step of adulthood at this time?

She didn't have hallow'een mouth and when I first saw it at the dog park I though she got her lower jaw stuck in Coffey's collar!

Thank the stars that wasn't the case!

She will grab Coffey's collar and vice versa while they are playing.

I have also noticed that she will reinforce after I have redirected Coffey if he is playing too rough with a pup that doesn't like it.

She will grab his collar and pull him away. She generally release his collar (or any ones) when we tell her to release. She and Coffey both like to grab collars during play.

So when she did her first couple of muzzle grabs (from the side) it looked bad because Coffey was turning and grabbing her collar - so I thought her jaw was stuck in his collar (but it wasn't it turned out to be sideways on his muzzle and her head was tilted also making the weird angle).

This happened twice before I went out yesterday morning to the backyard and saw them standing still face to face and her muzzle was covering his.

(It was kinda like the picture below) calm ....

None of the times she did this to him did she have a biting grip. When I saw it with them standing still I figured she was reinforcing hierarchy or something.

Coffey has been getting mouthy with her and maybe he has been trying to muzzle grasp her?

They never did it before and I am wondering if she is finally coming into/remembering adult behaviors?

This is why I want Coffey to be mature before we would get another pup - although ---- getting a pup turned Waki into Mr. Responsible. Alas, he had Shiva as a great teacher!

Coffey didn't get that from Tayamni as she hadn't matured enough yet and Tayamni luckily didn't pick up any of Roger's (Doxie-terrier) fear-aggression issues but didn't learn adult behavior from him either.

Some how Coffey in his little time with Roger has manifested some separation anxiety (or maybe it unknowingly came from my sister - common denominator? hmmmm) with his furniture destruction.

Coffey also still once in a while puppy licks other dogs at the dog park but doesn't do it to Tayamni.

Thanks for the link to the other post.

It kinda confirms my observation that Tayamni is 1. maturing into adult behaviors with other dogs, and 2. showing hierarchy relationship in a nice way.

DogMuzzleGrabMarco.png

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use muzzle grabs but never as a reprimand. When I'm working puppy handling I teach them I'm allowed to grab (gently) their muzzle. I hold on as long as I want and move their heads using the muzzle as a handle. I also use a grab and tug almost like a hug? Just always have

• Like 2

I tried the muzzle grab, as a gentle reminder, but Wyot is way too slippery a character, LOL!!! He just seems to know what I'm going to do before I do it. He is one smart cookie...and when he dosen't get what he wants, the whining starts, and the jabbing at my elbow, at any costs to get under my arm...then there's the "I didn't get my way" song he sings in protest when I say an emphatic NO -" Rowr, rowr rowrrrrrr, harummmph, sigh", before he plops down dejectedly...and yes, he raises his eyes from that position to see how it has affected me.... :blink: (no eye contact from me, otherwise it starts all over!)

On the other hand, if my hubby says "STOP IT" in a gruff voice....he finally stops. I guess he is the Alpha.

• Like 1

My sister's dog, Coffey pays attention to me better than her. (I am the Alpha in the house? oh wait ..... I AM the Alpha in the house. LOL!) B)

I listened to her commands during training and she speaks softer and then a lot of times the command sounds like a Request. Her voice lilts up at the end.

When she spoke, not angry, but happy yet projecting and making a statement rather than a request, Coffey responds better.

(For one, he learned to LEAVE IT when she said "Leave It", instead of thinking it meant MAYBE).

NOTE: Kelli can be loud and angry just as we I can :ph34r:. It is a practice for us both NOT to sound angry when we project our voices (inherited trait).

Anyway, when we sound like we mean it (and we do) the dogs respond.

PS Tayamni is older 3 1/2 years? :o and now she moans loudly when she does not agree or wants something and has not received the response she would like!

Along with the looks and eye rolls, etc. She still does her Telepathy first, willing what she wants into my mind, then moans if I say 'No' or 'In a minute' :P

I swear these AI Dogs pick up our gestures and the context of them!

• Like 2

PS Tayamni is older 3 1/2 years? :o and now she moans loudly when she does not agree or wants something and has not received the response she would like!

Along with the looks and eye rolls, etc. She still does her Telepathy first, willing what she wants into my mind, then moans if I say 'No' or 'In a minute' :P

Well that runs in the family! Her brother Rune does The Groan too, often so dramatically I can't not laugh at him :lol:

• Like 2