Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

It is now 12:52 AM in the land of the third coast, USA. Kaposia sleeps on our bed. At 12:25 AM we were awakened by the most other-worldly howl I've ever heard. I don't know if she was asleep and dreaming or awake, but that's never happened in the nearly 5 years we've had her. It wasn't the melodious howling she does to the ring tone on my phone, this was like a mourning banshee. One long wailing howl. We petted her a little and she seems fine (?) but I'm still awake!

• Like 2

Could be. Ours act a bit odd during the rut. We had some singing to us at night for a while from the 'yotes. One was definitely in heat based on the markings. Wonder if she was saying "hello sailor". There was a sort of competitive howling one night between our dogs and the 'yotes.

• Like 1

Frankie had a few days of clinginess, wanting to be in my lap or under my legs (not at all her usual thing:), and I've been mystified - maybe it was a reaction to the neighborhood coyotes! We frequently hear them at night, and neighbors report sightings now and then.

• Like 1

Hmmm...yep, gotta say, the coyotes were howling up on the cliffs behind us, and almost lost Wyot to his taking off towards the sounds and smells- he is my super sensitive, always watchful and sniffing the air- dog. It is that time of year, and I also had a middle of the night weird yelping/howling for a brief minute (too long in my opinion!)...but he went right back to sleep, and didn't even rouse Keechee. Took me a while, though...

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

I know I'm late to the party, but wow, this is such an interesting thread. I've never heard coyotes singing in the wild, as I don't live anywhere near them. It's interesting to read how each of your dogs react differently to them. I wish I could introduce my Nakoma to those sounds (safely). I wonder how he would react. Would he instinctively know that those sounds are not from a dog? So interesting.

I know I'm late to the party, but wow, this is such an interesting thread. I've never heard coyotes singing in the wild, as I don't live anywhere near them. It's interesting to read how each of your dogs react differently to them. I wish I could introduce my Nakoma to those sounds (safely). I wonder how he would react. Would he instinctively know that those sounds are not from a dog? So interesting.

Rooster is a city dog for the most part but if he hears a coyote in a video game or a movie he will stop what ever he is doing and howl back. Sometimes he will howl at a wolf noise but the coyote sounds just speak to him. If you want to see what your dog will do there are a ton of youtube videos of coyotes howling. Rooster is real talkative so he will also howl at whale noises, doorbells, alarm clocks and people who are not paying enough attention to him.

• 3 months later...

Some friends of mine that live in San Francisco, take their AIDog hiking most  every weekend.  Their journey takes them to the parks and reserves in Contra Costa County, like Mt. Diablo.  Their dog has made friends with a pack of coyotes.  They call back and forth and join each other for play.  As soon as it is hunt time, the coyotes send their AIDog back.  All of this on video.   It is really awesome to watch the tactics and the play of both.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How great is that????! I've often wondered what would happen if an AI dog interacted with a coyote/coyotes. I think I would still be afraid for Kaposia's safety, but you wonder.... Ever since she came into our family I've noticed such differences from any dog I've ever known....behaviors, instincts, even the way her coat smells...not like a dog at all (I compare the smell of Kaposia's coat to the smell of a good loaf of German rye bread!) She never smells "doggy" and her breath is still as sweet as the day we picked her up at the airport as a pup. There is also some kind of really strong, wonderful, positive energy emanating from her all the time.

• Like 1