Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

The Great Bunny Hunter

We don't ever use herbicides or pesticides on our lawn and yard. (Therefore the lawn is more weed than grass.) I think this must make our yard especially attractive to nesting mama rabbits. We just did a course of Drontal because Kaposia had tapeworms from eating baby bunnies. We were to bring in the final stool sample 9/7/17. THEN...last night Kaposia didn't want to come in from her last relief run of the evening. We went out to bring her in, and she led us a good chase. We could see that she had something in her mouth that she didn't want to give up, but in the dark we couldn't determine what. This morning before we let her out, we inspected the yard and found a ravaged bunny nest and one tiny lone survivor. Checked an animal rescue site that said to put the bunny back in the nest, protect the nest from the dog, and leave enough space for the mama bunny to return. Supposedly the mama returns to the nest several times a day to tend the babies. We did our best on that, and just won't let Kaposia out unattended until the bunny saga is over. The rest is up to Mother Nature. I've e-mailed the vet...I suppose it's another round of Drontal now :-(

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I didn't know bunnies have tapeworms!

I know sheep are susceptible.

I wonder if it's a parasite that bunnies can live with, like raccoons have some parasites that don't bother them but will infect other species if eat raccoon poop.

• Like 1

[quote name=Denise E." post="41128" time="1504194551"]I didn't know bunnies have tapeworms! I know sheep are susceptible. I wonder if it's a parasite that bunnies can live with, like raccoons have some parasites that don't bother them but will infect other species if eat raccoon poop. Yes, that's exactly the case. Bunnies can live with the tapeworms, but not dogs. Last time Kaposia ate baby bunnies, she got a heavy infestation. Her coat even began to look dull and rough, which corrected and improved quickly after the Drontal treatment. The vet e-mailed me back, and yes, we're in for another round of Drontal. We worry, and Kaposia has a grand old time, digging and eating baby bunnies. Even when you catch her in the act, there's no stopping her, (they're such a delicacy, didn't you know?!)

image.jpeg

• Like 3

^_^ She's trying to help and catch her own dinner! You could save money on kibble if she didn't get those darn worms!!! :o

:blink: We have to watch Coffey because there are poisonous toads at the dog park at dusk (after days of rain this time of year) and he likes the effect from licking them.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Well here's an update on Kaposia and the bunny; Denny's been after me for about a week to check the nest to see if the bunny was still there,(anxious to mow that corner of the yard, I guess.) I kept telling him that Kaposia's still interested in that nest, leave it alone. Today I relented and checked the nest. Bunny still there, takes off, Kaposia grabs bunny (should have had her in the house, she's so darn fast!) she only had the little guy for a split second before Denny got her to "drop!" thank goodness, and then the bunny ran into the open garage door and hid behind a lathe. We got him out, and caught him (picked up a lot of cobwebs on my gloves in the process.) He seems to be strong and uninjured. Bunny back in nest, barriers back up. Now that he's big enough to start roaming the yard, we'll really have our hands full trying to protect him.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I hope that wasn't the bunny you nursed. You might want to relocate the bunny at least a mile from your home. We do that with chipmunks. Put them on the other side of the river at least.

We watch Waki for tapes because he eats moles, mice, rabbits and what ever he can catch. The vet accepts a poop photo now for prescription purposes. Usually Cake is fine because he doesn't like to share.

• Like 2

Yes, we got this one away from her before she broke it open, but tapes are a concern. I just breathed a sigh of relief in June when Kaposia's stool came back clean. It seems like rabbits return to the same spot in our yard generation after generation. The first nest we discovered 40 years ago when our 4 year old daughter came in to the house wide eyed and said, "I just saw a mama bunny have babies in your bachelor button garden!" We fenced that area off last year and I don't see a nest there. Who knows where this ill fated little fur ball came from? Don't know if we'd be in trouble for taking them to the local forest preserve, if WE could catch them.

• Like 2

you can make rabbit ragu & stewed rabbit in an Instant Pot if you can get them from her before she gets into them