Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Update On Kaposia

Well, we had Critter Control placing traps in our yard for three nights. First night got a skunk and an oppossum, second night a reccoon and an oppossum, third night one raccoon. Then it was time to pull the truck out of the shelter and clean up. Mentioned to the vet that we would use mothballs to deter more raccoons moving in, and she advised that mothballs are very toxic to dogs, so we told her that we'd be hanging the mothballs in knee high nylon stockings from the ceiling of the storage shelter where Kaposia could not reach them and she was fine with that. Latest stool culture revealed that Kaposia's free of parasites (whew!) Felt soooo bad having to give her anti parasite meds so young. The vet also recommended adding cooked veggies to her food to soothe her digestive system due to meds. Typical "kid" ...hates green beans, loves carrots & sweet potatoes. I also occasionally put about 1/8 cup of plain keefer over her kibble....now she turns her nose up at plain kibble and looks at the refrigerator as if to say, "You know I like my kibble a-la-keefer!" She's reached a weight of 17.6 pounds, has a nice shiny adult coat over most of her body, and has lost 3 baby incisors. She has learned to sit quietly before we exit the house. Potty training is better, but not complete. We're glad the vaccinations are to the point where we can take her out for walks now...but boy does she pull! ...have to work on that. Photos attached of the varmints that were trapped, and one of the games we play with Kaposia to burn noff some of that puppy energy. The game is one suggested in Cesar Milan's book involving a bamboo pole, about 6 feet of strong string, and a squeaky toy. I have some nice video of the game, but had trouble uploading it. Well, I was only able to attach two photos, one of the game and one of Kaposia with two new toys, the rest of the photos gave a message that the file was too large to upload.

Best to all of you. I'm sure you're all as in love with your pups as we are with ours!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This morning while we were out running errands, she figured out how to roll down the power windows in the van. No fluke, 6-8 times she crawled over my lap, studied the button, pressed it with her paw,

Yes, Nytebyker, Kaposia is from Choco X Raven, 3/23/15. More updates...she's finally big enough to "mouth" a tennis ball. We've had 6 accident free days with the house training (she's finally got me t

...been in a bit of a directionless free fall since retirement...rediscovered my sketch book today...

Posted Images

omg look at those ear so alert ,mooka is 2 and still has all the puppy enegy and he runs and play with bell all the time ouside,have to drag them in to cool down as it is so hot up here

with the humidity (gotta love cananda)and they go out evry 2 hours with a fresh water bowl, they love to chase the bird and frogs,er even thought mooka to chase the canadian geese away,just had to say see the geese and after the 2nd time he started to chase them away,and the tugging will go away it did for mooka took a bit but now he is good,god they grow up and learn so fast so enjoy these puppy days

• Like 1

Hey! She's beautiful, and looks so much like my guy from Raven x Choco this past spring. Are they siblings?!?! :-). The puppy energy is pretty intense, yet awesome! I'm loving every minute of it. I'm sure you are, as well. What a fun looking game!!! :-).

• Like 1

Wow. That's lots of critters! Your yard looks like a park!

• Like 1

Yes, Nytebyker, Kaposia is from Choco X Raven, 3/23/15. More updates...she's finally big enough to "mouth" a tennis ball. We've had 6 accident free days with the house training (she's finally got me trained!) is really good about not nipping and biting with Denny and me, but not so much when excited over new people. Each day falls more and more into a regular routine as we learn what does and doesn't work. Great reading the posts from all the owners and their little loves!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8
  • 4 weeks later...

Raccoons, 'possums, skunks.....and BEES....oh my!

Our latest back yard wildlife adventures involved a swarm of mud, or ground bees. Kaposia and I were playing in the back yard as usual when she came flying out from the back of the garage bucking like a bronc! I went back to see what she got into, and the bees were swarming. I called her and we ran for the fence gate and back door to the house. The swarm followed us. I got stung once, but Kaposia got it quite a few times. Denny checked her over and put her in her crate, and I swallowed my antihistamine meds. and it was off to the E.R. End of story, we're all fine. The stings didn't seem to affect the dog at all. Needless to say, 2 full cans of Raid later, the bees are gone.

• Like 1

Wow, sorry to hear - what an adventure! Glad that the bee stings didn't affect Kasposia. Bet she wishes they were honey bees!

She will never forget that you saved her. Crisis/opportunity

• Like 1

I bet your adrenaline was up 100% X 7.....

Glad you are o.k. and all good to go.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Awwww. Sleep well little lady. We love you.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

This morning while we were out running errands, she figured out how to roll down the power windows in the van. No fluke, 6-8 times she crawled over my lap, studied the button, pressed it with her paw, crawled into my lap, and stuck her head out the window. Seat belt harness has been ordered!

image.jpeg

• Like 10

They are sooooo smart!

• Like 1

That's amazing.

• Like 1

Time for a window lock software update! LOL

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not at all surprised by what Kaposia did, as these dogs are incredibly smart! But I'm sure it was startling to see her do this and figure it out as you were driving! Aye caramba! ...

I bought several seatbelt harnesses for Nakoma, but none of them ever seemed safe enough for me. (I work in auto insurance, and have "seen" the craziest and freakiest things that can happen in accidents). ... then I heard about this harness, and so far, it is the best one out there. (Though I still think it can be improved a bit, but I wouldn't know how to improve it). http://sleepypod.com/clickit ... They even tested this harness in a crash test like they do for children's car seats. (There's a link to a video of the crash test at the bottom of the page). Most of the other dog car harnesses are not even crash tested. ... the harness is pricey, but I totally recommend it. (Just my $0.02).

These dogs... they're so smart, it's dangerous sometimes. Lol. But you can't help but love em!!! :wub:

Edited by NyteByker
  • Like 2

That looks like a substantial harness. We're pretty happy with the Kurgo harness (also crash tested). Since Ayita is so little, I had to do some fancy footwork to find one that was truly safe without too much material weighing her down. The Kurgo is a little heavy and it took her a while, but I think she's convinced that it is better than riding in a crate.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

We had problems with the Kurgo harness. It was properly sized, adjusted, and installed, but twice Kaposia managed to get her left rear leg so entangled that she couldn't move. Even a small accident impact would surely have broken that leg. The Kurgo went in the garbage. We're now using a soft harness and a 2 foot leather training leash with a swivel clip. So far, so good, but just as with a child in a safety seat, you have to keep checking to see what's going on.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Another testimony to the even temperament and healthy psychological balance of these dogs. Kaposia is approaching 18 months old, and up until last weekend we have taken her everywhere with us. Last weekend we had a 3 day event in another city and needed a dog sitter. Our 14 year old grandson stayed at our house with the dog. They had spent time together of course at family events, so they knew one another. We enlisted neighbors as back up if necessary. I made lots of our grandson's favorite foods, made an instructional checklist and schedule for him to follow, and taped up little reminders all over the house (just a "wee bit" concerned over how this would all play out!) told him not to worry if Kaposia didn't eat while we were gone...not uncommon if the dog is upset over the pack leaving. Everything went so well! She ate on her regular schedule, got lots of exercise and play time, got a bit bossy with him at bed time, but he handled it just as we instructed him to. Kaposia was really glad to see us again with a highly enthusiastic "welcome home" but she hadn't skipped a beat with meals or displayed overt signs of stress while we were gone! No need to call the neighbors for anything. Yay! A growth experience for us all!

• Like 6