Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Another Newbie ;)

Hi everyone,

My name is Cree and I am a new member to the forum and new almost owner of an AIDog. I've heard about AIDogs a few years ago from a friend. He said he wanted one but he never wound up getting one. I did my own research about it afterwards and I thought it was pretty amazing. I knew natives had domesticated dogs around camp, etc., but I had no idea there was a preservation effort to save the breed. I've always kind of had these dogs in the back of my mind since then but was never in a position to get any animal. I am native and work in language and culture revitalization so it only seemed natural to get a dog that descends from the dogs my ancestors had that were a big part of the culture. I've heard a couple of stories from elders in my program about dogs and the owners of the dogs always spoke to them in the language only, which is what I am most excited about trying to bring back.

The anticipation is starting to kill me though ;). At least when you have a baby they give you a due date. lol.

I'm excited to get to know you all and be able to share this awesome journey. Thanks for taking good care of your dogs.

I love that, "at least when you have a baby they give you a due date..." So true! Look forward to sharing some good stories. Hope you don't have to wait too long.

How excellent. I do kind of envy you, being so close to your culture. I have to make mine up as I go along! :lol: These dogs bring me back to Earth,...and I can think of no better start than that.

I do so look forward to hearing about your experience.

Welcome.....so glad you're part of "the family". :D We SO understand that anticipation!!!!! And it all but does kill you! We look forward to hear about your journey from "waiting" for your puppy and finally getting him/her home.....then there is always wanting another one ;)......I got my first one after my yellow lab passed away and then I adopted another one about a year later.....they sure are amazing.....you will be hooked for sure....again WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Edited by maria

Congratulations Cree for taking the leap of faith. (I stupidly waited 19 years...how dumb is that!) Welcome to an amazing "Forum Family." We're here to hear and enjoy the stories, pictures, and experiences that we share with these incredible medicine dogs. Enjoy the ride, it is truly wonderful. Welcome aboard.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! How wonderful that you will have a shared history with your new pup. It is an amazing story and Kim has done and is doing such an amazing job with this breed. The forum is marvelous for sharing everything--including any problems that may arise. Because these dogs are so wonderful, there are few problems but they do seem to view the world differently from other dogs. The forum is indeed like a second family--the very best forum folks in existence!

We all remember being in anticipation mode like you are now. How exciting, how excruciating, how absolutely marvelous! These dogs are FUN.

Welcome!

I am a newcomer myself still, but, having just survived puppyhood, I can say that this forum has been an invaluable source of information. We are very lucky to have such a resource, and it's so exciting to watch it grow as more pups go home to their new families.

It sounds like your new puppy-to-be is going to be one lucky AIdog indeed. I love that you are able to bring one of these dogs back to their roots.

I am a newbie also. My name is Kevin and I have been on the list since October. My family and I have been patiently waiting for our new member of the family. I lost one of my best friends Toby last fall (golden retriver). He was a great companion. We did a lot of research before making the decision. We are looking forward to the phone call from Kim.

Welcome Kevin...ahhhhhhh yes, the "wait game" is soooooooo painful on one end, and so darn exciting on the other end.

Welcome, Kevin! Let the adventure begin! I love hearing about the pups and how they are fairing! Keep us posted all the way....

We are also newly added to the waiting list and can't wait for our notification. We've only been added a couple weeks ago and now that we have made our decision, it's sooo hard to wait...lol. Patience is hard when we want to introduce s/he to our little girls & see their faces light up!!!!

Welcome dcunger- and congratulations on choosing the Best Breed. :)

also- know that we ALL have been through the waiting-torture :D

Welcome Kevin...ahhhhhhh yes, the "wait game" is soooooooo painful on one end, and so darn exciting on the other end.

Then, there's the "quarantine game". Then, the "training games". The "raw/cooked food games"

Oh, Dog, there is ..... the "name game".

I don't know how many names we went through that were either already used or, we soon found out, weren't our dogs name after all.