Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Brotherly Love

IMG_6072.JPG

So, we've had adjustments in our household to accommodate the energy and training of a puppy. Didn't know how 16 month old Wyot, our 1st AI dog would take to having a pup join him, but we wanted Wyot to have a companion, and balance him out (very high energy, happy, trained quickly) .His territory has shrunk to two (large) rooms, and his domain in the living room is rarely something he visits- even by his own choice, unless Kitchee is jumping and tackling or stealing his toys, his bully stick (even though they each have their own- Wyot's must be better!!) and he needs a breather, lol! If he stays in there with me too long (5 minutes?), he longingly looks into the other room- it almost seems like he feels responsible or guilty for leaving the little one in there by himself...haven't figured that out yet.

They each fall asleep in their own spot, Wyot on the rug in front of the sliders, and Kitchee on his colorful towel (that he sleeps on in his crate)....the picture is Kitchee eventually rolling over and looking for Wyot to sleep on and cuddle with! That was a few days ago, and the more they romp and play together, the more they are bonding, and last evening, Wyot sidled up to a sleeping pup, and lay next to him, laying his head over his belly! The pictures are on my phone, so I will try to download and post that tomorrow or so. It was amazing to me!

Wyot has become SO calm, looking after Kitchee (now that he is eating again), making sure he gets out the door first (he used to rocket out like a maniac!), and then following. He herds him back towards us if he gets out of hand in the field. Amazing how these dogs bond, how they figure out the order of things..

We went on our first two hikes on our own 10 acres of property, and Kitchee held his own, not afraid to venture over logs, rocks (he had some help when he couldn't make it). It was 65 degrees, and felt like a glorious spring day!! Back to winter and snow again today, but they both love it. Kitchee does not seem afraid of much...he is inquisitive, and faces challenges head on. I have not seen any fear of anything yet! He goes to our creek, and looks, tries to navigate in just the right places (as I hover, sort of, like a mom, lol!), but Wyot wouldn't come near the river when he even was a bit older than Kitchee (5 months or so is when he sort of got over it...and 9 months old when he finally would just go in).

I can't thank SDK enough for these wonderful dogs!!!

In the meantime, I am enjoy every moment of this new adventure with the two of them, and I am sinking into Kitchee's soft puppy fur, knowing it won't be like that for long... :) I love my moments alone with Wyot, and it's like I've got this amazing mature dog all of a sudden! When we go out, he gets his regular animated I'm a puppy who LOVES to run and play fetch and run round and round like a greyhound on a track.

Knock on wood, Kitchee's sleeping is good (in his crate all night), and so far, today, no accidents...but I am vigilant to keep bringing him outdoors when I see him get up from a nap, start sniffing the floor, etc...so, I think he's getting it. He certainly LOVES his treat after coming in, LOL! He sits and waits for it like a good boy...if he jumps up because he wants it NOW, I tell him NO, sit...good boy!...and he does!!

I never tire of watching them...and hearing updates on the rest of these wonderful pups and their families!

• Like 7

That all sounds so wonderful! I'm so glad things are going so well for you. It's great that Wyot's really stepped up to bat. Is he eating better?

Yes, gratefully he is eating great now!! Kitchee keeps running over thinking he's got something better than he has, but I keep vigil in between the two, and keep Kitchee on task. Wyot doesn't seem to be bothered at all anymore, and he keeps eating until he's done! So happy about that.... thank you for asking!

How's everything for Haru?

• Like 3

The bonding of two pups is a beautiful thing.....

It really, truly is!! Both of us never tire of watching the antics of these two, the bonding, the caring etc.- it is amazing!

• Like 1

Yes, gratefully he is eating great now!! Kitchee keeps running over thinking he's got something better than he has, but I keep vigil in between the two, and keep Kitchee on task. Wyot doesn't seem to be bothered at all anymore, and he keeps eating until he's done! So happy about that.... thank you for asking!

How's everything for Haru?

-sigh- We're having problems eating again. It got better last week when I started giving her wet food mixed in with the dry. When that can ran out I didn't start a new can, just watching to see what would happen. She didn't eat much yesterday and ate no dinner. Then this morning she only took a bite and then walked off. I had another can of wet so I mixed some of that in and she gobbled it up. I'm thinking she doesn't like the kibble so I'm going to try a new small bag. Hopefully it doesn't upset her stomach too much.

• Like 2

-sigh- We're having problems eating again. It got better last week when I started giving her wet food mixed in with the dry. When that can ran out I didn't start a new can, just watching to see what would happen. She didn't eat much yesterday and ate no dinner. Then this morning she only took a bite and then walked off. I had another can of wet so I mixed some of that in and she gobbled it up. I'm thinking she doesn't like the kibble so I'm going to try a new small bag. Hopefully it doesn't upset her stomach too much.

I soak raw oatmeal in goat's milk overnight....I put a TBSP or two of that mixture in to Kitchee's food, and he LOVES it. So does Wyot- which is what started him back to eating. I think dry kibble is just bleh for them. You can always put some beef or chicken broth in with some kibble to soften that, and then mix it in with the rest of the kibble- that has worked in the past for Wyot. I will be adding more raw foods to their meals and mixing that in...don't lose hope. I know how that feels, though, when they don't eat...

• Like 3

I soak raw oatmeal in goat's milk overnight....I put a TBSP or two of that mixture in to Kitchee's food, and he LOVES it. So does Wyot- which is what started him back to eating. I think dry kibble is just bleh for them. You can always put some beef or chicken broth in with some kibble to soften that, and then mix it in with the rest of the kibble- that has worked in the past for Wyot. I will be adding more raw foods to their meals and mixing that in...don't lose hope. I know how that feels, though, when they don't eat...

Thanks for the info, a mixture like that could be made on Sunday and used throughout the week which would work nicely. It would also smell more pleasant than the canned stuff. My cat thought it was for her this morning it smelled so bad! :lol:

• Like 3

Nita won't eat out of her bowl until I spill some on the floor. Then she will gobble it up sometimes.

• Like 3

I used to use kibble as training treats for Rune when he was a nugget but I had a real problem with him not being excited about plain old kibble. I used to mix in just a tiny bit of feta cheese and smash it all around so the smell coated all the kibble. That significantly increased it's value!

• Like 5

I can't point to the threads but there have been some picky eaters. Sometimes it's just self regulation, sometimes it's the puppy worms (goes away when the worms are purged) and sometimes it's some intolerance for grains or additives in the food. Cooked rice and lamb is usually a very gentle food that we use for upset tummies (cases where loose poo doesn't clear up in a day or two). We also make a cooked "meat loaf" that is very popular - take those soaked oats and mix in 1:1 meat (we often add chopped liver to the ground round) then cook as you would human meat loaf. Our last GSD had the dread GSD sensitive tummy lava poops on a regular basis and there were times when the vet prescribed these "bland", cooked diets. Also there can be an emotional element - Cake Dolly - the most diarrhea free dog we've ever had - paid extensive "homage" to him when he passed...Home made bone broth is also a great food but take care that the higher fat content can cause loose stool under the right conditions. We do our best to look for grass fed/ hormone and antibiotic free. When my husband was in grad school at Rice in the 90's a French national complained about growing an inch taller and sprouting hair on his chest (kind of makes you think, considering he was already 20).

• Like 3

Food glorious food......

Seems like when my pups see me open the refrigerator, they think they will get a treat for dinner. AND they do, but not EVERY night. Their anticipation is high. Ya know the food that its left on a dinner/ breakfast plate? (not the carbs, but meat and veggies) The juices that are left in the pan? Instead of putting it down the disposal, I make "DOG SOUP." I add about 2 tablespoons to their dry "Taste of the Wild" along with warm water. They eat it like its their last meal...gobble it up. It changes the flavor enough so they don't get tired of the dry food taste. It's simple. You can freeze it if there is too much. My dogs are the garbage disposal in my home. I start it off by baking a chicken, carve the meat off for my people family, bake the bones for my people veggie soup. Take the bits of meat that are left off the bones, and start adding leftovers for "DOG SOUP." I'm a simple cook and would rather be outside in my garden or in my studio creating, rather than being the great "kitchen chemist." To date, there have been no eating problems. I've been doing this since having my first dog many, many, many years ago. And yes, I only buy organic. Just a thought......

• Like 4

Yes!!!! I do the same kind of things....I use home made bone broth (simple, no mushrooms, and exotic things) that I pour over the kibble as well. Mine too sit expectantly when I open the fridge!!! I cut off the ends of zucchinis and give it to them, stems of cabbage, carrot ends, etc. Warm water is also my go to sometimes. Love all the ideas. They eat the greens that I would normally throw in the compost, too. YUM for them, lol!

• Like 4