Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Quote from Kim LaFlamme:

Kim,

We just wanted to drop you a quick note and let you know that Myka is doing awesome! She is coming along great with her potty training and other tricks/commands we have been teaching her. Today we went on a five mile hike to the top of Mount Major in Alton, NH (picture attached) and she did very well…she is a natural hiker. She loves playing hide n seek and runs with incredible speed to find either me or Lyndsey. She is the fastest most agile puppy I have ever seen! The one thing Myka does suffer from is separation anxiety. She hates it when we leave, even for a few minutes. She howls immediately, sometimes poops/pees in her cage. We only crate her when we are gone, but we do not want to have to crate her when she gets older. Do you have any recommendations for how to work with this or do you know of anything we could do to help make her more comfortable home alone? Most local trainers just tell us she will probably get used to it over time, but that does not seem to be the case so far. Just curious to see if you had any suggestions. Hope all is well.

IMG_0714 - Version 3.jpg

IMG_0723 - Version 3.jpg

Quote response from Kim Laflamme

Quote from Kim; “I always try to tell people during their first interview that there are ‘downsides’ to having a loyal dog that wants to be with you, where ever you are 24-7 . It’s best to ‘nip this in the bud’ right away, but do keep in mind ‘these dogs are always learning & it’s never too late to, ‘un-spoil them’ & your pup is still young.

Always rewarding them & letting them feel they can be with you is one of those forms of spoiling them that we need to avoid, (but it’s not easy, finding that balance) for us to know how to teach them to be independent, when we want them to ‘be dependent’, but keep in mind, this is a form of spoiling them. Just like with children, we need to cut those apron strings early & let them know, ‘ they don’t have to be right next to us at all times’. It’s important with AI dogs to start right away as pups, getting them used to being without you …. but not easy to teach them, they are fine without us for awhile, when we enjoy that feeling of them needing to be by our side at all times.

We all naturally enjoy encouraging our pups to stick close to us & enjoy that loyalty that they have; staying close & wanting to be with us at all times. Unfortunately this creates a need in them to need to be with us, which is good in one way, but doesn’t need to be such an obsession & there are many things you can begin doing as pups to prevent this; ‘ home alone syndrome’, but still incuredge that loyal quality that we want too.
One of the first things is to always help them to think you are always there on the other side of the door; not making a big deal of either leaving or coming home, as if you were always there.

There are lots of little tips in Ceasar Millans books & CD’s & The Dog Whisperer show on Animal Planet … & The Monks of New Skeet are 2 of the best training information for smart working dogs that you can find … plus don’t be shy to ask questions of AI dog owners that have all been through it on our forum – thanks for the up-date & pix” -

Love that first picture in the black and white. Could be from the turn of the century. Timeless looking dogs.

A few builds. If your pup was shipped to you vs you traveling out to pick her up, she may be reacting to the crate and not to being alone. Try using a confinement not using the crate - like a small room or doggie gated area. See if she reacts better. Little Waki did not like crates at all and would not settle, he also hated the bike carrier - anything small and confined so he didn't get crate trained until 14 months. Now he likes the crate and self crates and he likes the bike carrier. I don't have any tips for separation issues because Waki has his 2 dog parents. The only thing we did for him was to acclimate him to our local kennel by going to first Sunday's play time. That way when he was kenneled he knew the people and the facility. Also we had a training lesson with a trainer that also would take a dog over night at her home with her dogs. We did a class then came back a different day and let him have an overnight when he was just a few months old. This way he got the idea that staying over with someone else was a fun time too.

One of the best things is another dog. I know that doesn't help now but I do think animals do better in pairs.

Your pup is growing so fast! Your Myka is in our profile picture to the left. She was 8 weeks old? Still so grateful you let us visit! We are still waiting for our addition. We are still caring for my daughters little dog...who you met. He had a rough time with separation anxiety.

We got him a stuffed bunny that we give him when we leave. It really helps believe it or not! I have also found that the less excited we get when we re-enter the house, the more calm he is. The stuffed bunny has a squeaker inside, so when he lays on it or bites it it squeaks....and he LOVES it, almost like it is talking to him :D

Would love to get our pups together after ours arrives...hopefully by this fall. Good luck!