Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hello All - Considering An Aid

Hello everyone!

If you've seen me lurking lately it's because I've been reading this forum back to front and back again. I've heard of Indian dogs before, but never knew enough to recognize the distinction between AIds and NAIDs until last week when I was, just for fun, researching dog breeds I know little to nothing about (can you tell I'm a dog person? This is what I do in my spare time LOL). I've become smitten with these dogs and am beginning to think I've just answered that nagging uncertainty in the back of my mind.. My best friend is a 30lb Lab/Basset/Beagle mutt named Cairo, and he just turned 10 this May. He's in fantastic condition for a senior dog (last year we were still getting "aww how old is your puppy??" comments when we lived downtown - regularly), but I know I can't expect him to keep up with me forever. My life has always been centered completely around dog ownership, and I know that when Cairo's age starts catching up with him, I will start to feel a void not only of the impending loss of my very best friend, but the loss of the active dog lifestyle on which I thrive. For this reason I've been unable to keep the thoughts of adding another dog to my life on the backburner - not with an intention to replace Cairo of course, but, in a sense, to help both of us ease into a new chapter of our lives in which I do not depend solely on him to be my constant outdoor activity buddy.

I'd always assumed I would adopt a mutt from somewhere or other as the next dog in my life, but never knew how on earth I was going to locate one with the very qualities I've always dreamed of having in a dog. I want a dog that I am able to bond very closely with, that will enjoy being out in the woods with me not just because I'm there, but also because he has as much interest in exploring as I do - one that will explore with me rather than just blindly follow. A dog that, with training, has the capabilities to be an off leash hiking companion (that's important - leashes are such a hindrance when running through dense trees LOL). One of the most important qualities that I need, though, is a dog who understands the woods and the wild things in it. Cairo is a fantastic dog, but I worry as he is on the smaller side, and we have a LOT of coyotes that I don't think he would hesitate to charge up to if we ever stumbled across one. We also have bears and moose...neither of which we've encountered, but there have been sightings in the area. Cairo wears a loud bell at all times when we're out there, but still I worry and remain hyper aware of our surroundings and his behavior so that when I see him catch wind of a fresh scent I can leash him immediately. As these are all such specific characteristics, I had been running on the assumption that I could not expect to find my perfect dog and that my best bet would be to adopt a second mutt who would fit most of them - until I started reading about AIdogs.

Anyhow, I am here to, for now, learn. I'm not one to jump into major life decisions lightly, and have been weighing the pros and cons of a new puppy heavily. I have yet to decide whether this is something I want to jump into sooner rather than later, but in the meantime I'm going to gather as much insight as possible into what such a choice could entail.

Now that I've gotten that long-winded spiel out of my system, a little about me: My name is Mikaela and I live in New Hampshire with Cairo, a cat named Neo, and three rats. We live in something of a unique situation: a small studio space inside of a larger house centered on farmland surrounded by woods. The owners of the property are extraordinarily dog-centric and have a very well cared for pack of their own, which makes it a very enjoyable place to live, to say the very least. Cairo and I spend a lot of time out roaming the woods behind the house, and as far as I can tell we're the only ones who do so with any regularity. I am a nature nut, an animal lover, and an artist. I graduated college a couple of years ago with a major in studio art and a minor in wildlife ecology, and have been doing pet portraits since my middle school years. I also have a very strong interest in taxidermy and collect bones, pelts, feathers, etc; a weird hobby to some, but I have always been fascinated by the individuality and beauty in each remnant that an animal leaves behind - a tribute, in a way, to that specific animal's unique self. I am a pretty laid back person when I'm in my element, and my approach to dog 'parenting' has always been quite strict compared to most, a combination of tough love and 'nothing in life is free'. I've been working with dogs my whole life, in 4H when I was in grade school, and in every job I've had since, be it at veterinary offices or, more recently, daycare facilities. I have a strong interest in dog behavior and psychology and can watch dogs interact and play together for hours simply because I love reading the language between them.

Well I think I will leave it at that before I write half a book, but I'll toss in a picture of my dearest little black hound for good measure. Looking forward to learning more about these incredible sounding dogs, and meeting some good people :P

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/5354831896_9a4927acfb_z.jpg

Welcome, Mikaela! It was great reading your story. We got our AID pup when our rescue mutt was 10, and I'm glad I didn't wait much longer. He was a good age to help train the new pup without being overwhelmed by her. Now he is 13 and too old for that kind of upheaval in his life - as it was, he thought it was the end of the world for awhile. Now they are inseparable.

Thank you! It's a relief to hear that someone else has already had a positive experience introducing an AId pup to an older resident mutt. The age factor has been my reasoning so far - I feel like Cairo will be more receptive to another pack member at this age, rather than when he's significantly older and perhaps too crotchety to tolerate a young thing. I'm pretty sure the world would end for him also for a while, but I feel like he'll get over it in time. He grew up in a two-dog household and, though he was the young one in that scenario, I do think he could benefit from having a canine friend. Might even keep him active longer!

I am, however, a little concerned after having read some posts from people having trouble between two resident dogs when the young one hits the terrible twos and starts challenging the older one. I may create a separate post to get some feedback on that scenario.

Hello everyone!

.....never knew how on earth I was going to locate one with the very qualities I've always dreamed of having in a dog.

......I want a dog that I am able to bond very closely with, .....who understands.

..... I'm not one to jump into major life decisions lightly, and have been weighing the pros and cons of a new puppy heavily.

Hello!!

Your story sounds just like my wife, Joan's and mine leading to us getting our Draco (search "draco adventure")

We hadn't had a dog in over 30 years and I, too, did dog research for fun and pleasure. And, we got our Draco just over a year ago and got another, Rocco, for our son and his family in Portland, OR. We are now waiting, as are many here, for word from Kim about word of our second pup. We've asked for a female.

Kim's touch at picking the right dog for the right situation is nearly perfect. Draco and Rocco have far exceeded our expectations.

They understand in a way that is at times stunning. Joan is fond of saying, "Draco is either telepathic or understands English." We do know for certain he understands more English than we understand Dog. (One of those bonding moments comes with the smile he gives us when we first understand something he's telling us. He Thanks us and, we think we've heard him whisper, "Good human.")

I've been on the forum for one and a half years. This forum is, in my experience, a nearly unprececedented resource for a breed's owners. I've asked around Seattle and no other owners have told me of any similar resource. Like you, I read the forum through a couple of times. (And Kim's website.)

Just some of the reasons Joan and I found it safe to Jump. So, when you're ready, come on in, this water is more than fine....

OK. Gotta take Draco for a walk... Enjoy. And welcome.

Mine, too. If I take one the other is upset. Also got little Sitka when Coyo was 10, and he has been a great teacher, and wrestling mate.

I waited a long time, not until my 40s, to get my first dog. Once I met Kim's, there was no more hesitation.

Hope you find time for one of our dogs. It is an excellent journey--dogs as they were meant to be.

I enjoyed viewing your site. Post the link for others, if you wish.

Cairo looks like a gem.

Kim's touch at picking the right dog for the right situation is nearly perfect.

I keep reading similar statements all over this forum, and it has definitely given me a lot of confidence. I haven't even spoken to Kim yet, but having read all about him on both his site and this forum, I feel as though it can only benefit my situation to put my full trust in his abilities should I decide to go ahead and adopt one of his pups (provided I 'pass' his interview process first LOL).

That understanding that you describe was one of the first things that really hooked me on these guys. It's another thing that is mentioned repeatedly on this forum, and not something I think I've ever seen described as common in any breed.

Just some of the reasons Joan and I found it safe to Jump. So, when you're ready, come on in, this water is more than fine....

Hope you find time for one of our dogs. It is an excellent journey--dogs as they were meant to be.

I'm at the point now where I'm 98% certain this is the kind of dog I want for my next companion. Whether that happens next year or in five years is what I'm still grappling with, but leaning more and more towards next year or around then. I have found myself in a position where I do, for the first time in as long as I can remember, have the right kind of schedule and living situation to properly raise a puppy. Right now I'm mostly just trying to find reasons why I shouldn't :P If I can't find any substantial ones soon, I will probably be giving Kim a call.

I enjoyed viewing your site. Post the link for others, if you wish.
Is it my deviantArt page that you're referring to? That can be seen here: http://nikkiburr.deviantart.com/ and I also have a general Flickr account and a Facebook page for my art, but I have yet to create a more professional and comprehensive 'real' site. Been meaning to do it for ages but haven't gotten around to it.. I was a little hesitant to post in the pet portraits thread because I didn't want it to seem like I was trolling for business, but if people are interested, they are more than welcome to look. I'm just not taking any more commissions at the moment as my waiting list is quite lengthy. And thanks, Cairo is definitely a great little guy :]
I keep reading similar statements all over this forum, and it has definitely given me a lot of confidence. I haven't even spoken to Kim yet, but having read all about him on both his site and this forum, I feel as though it can only benefit my situation to put my full trust in his abilities should I decide to go ahead and adopt one of his pups (provided I 'pass' his interview process first LOL).

That understanding that you describe was one of the first things that really hooked me on these guys. It's another thing that is mentioned repeatedly on this forum, and not something I think I've ever seen described as common in any breed.

I'm at the point now where I'm 98% certain this is the kind of dog I want for my next companion. Whether that happens next year or in five years is what I'm still grappling with, but leaning more and more towards next year or around then. I have found myself in a position where I do, for the first time in as long as I can remember, have the right kind of schedule and living situation to properly raise a puppy. Right now I'm mostly just trying to find reasons why I shouldn't :P If I can't find any substantial ones soon, I will probably be giving Kim a call.

Is it my deviantArt page that you're referring to? That can be seen here: http://nikkiburr.deviantart.com/ and I also have a general Flickr account and a Facebook page for my art, but I have yet to create a more professional and comprehensive 'real' site. Been meaning to do it for ages but haven't gotten around to it.. I was a little hesitant to post in the pet portraits thread because I didn't want it to seem like I was trolling for business, but if people are interested, they are more than welcome to look. I'm just not taking any more commissions at the moment as my waiting list is quite lengthy. And thanks, Cairo is definitely a great little guy :]

We have owned seven of these amazing mutts!! We got our first one after we lost one of our wheaton terriers and the second one was lonely and getting up in years. Willie helped Murphy immensely! Murphy became a puppy again at 12 years of age! Each of these guys are unique onto themselves - they each have their own personalities and differ in their likes and dislikes. They do need a lot of exercise. We walk ours three miles in the a.m. and the same in the evening - of course, it's a benefit to us too!!

These are excellent travelers but they do have their moments! They really do have the 'terrible twos.' Our youngest is 10 months old and thinks everything revolves around him and his sisters don't count! Well, they quickly let him know he is low man on the totem ole! Our oldest one, Shadow, who is 12 still has to be reminded that she isn't the Queen of the Castle -- I am!!! If you'd like to travel to MI we'd love to introduce you to the breed and our kids. We have room at our house for a visit and you'd enjoy it too. I think at whatever point in your life you decide on this breed you wouldn't be disappointed. It's my opinion that before you make any choice, you should introduce yourself to the breed. Kiim is an amazing breeder. When you have your conversation with him, you will be impressed with his knowledge of the breed and animals, in general. Trust his opinion and his instinct, he is not one to be questioned. He lives with these animals 24/7 and has done so for many years. If he picks a pup for you, you will know that this animal is the right fit. I don't know how he knows, he just does. If you would decide on a rescue mutt, that's awesome too.

JudyK in Northern Michigan

They do need a lot of exercise. We walk ours three miles in the a.m. and the same in the evening - of course, it's a benefit to us too!!

This is actually something I look forward to. I've always wanted a biking dog, and Cairo does okay, but he just doesn't have the endurance. We usually do 1-2 hours of woodland hiking/day and a quick 1 mile bike ride in the evening just so he gets some hard running in to keep in shape. I would love to have a dog who could go for 'real' bike rides with me though, and have an attachment for my bike for training. We also have an enormous fenced in field here which is fantastic for off leash running/frisbee/chukkit/etc - none of which Cairo will partake in of course, hah. He is content to just roll around and graze on the grass- unless his best doggy friend comes with us, then he will play a little.

These are excellent travelers but they do have their moments! They really do have the 'terrible twos.' Our youngest is 10 months old and thinks everything revolves around him and his sisters don't count! Well, they quickly let him know he is low man on the totem ole! Our oldest one, Shadow, who is 12 still has to be reminded that she isn't the Queen of the Castle -- I am!!! If you'd like to travel to MI we'd love to introduce you to the breed and our kids. We have room at our house for a visit and you'd enjoy it too. I think at whatever point in your life you decide on this breed you wouldn't be disappointed. It's my opinion that before you make any choice, you should introduce yourself to the breed. Kiim is an amazing breeder. When you have your conversation with him, you will be impressed with his knowledge of the breed and animals, in general. Trust his opinion and his instinct, he is not one to be questioned. He lives with these animals 24/7 and has done so for many years. If he picks a pup for you, you will know that this animal is the right fit. I don't know how he knows, he just does. If you would decide on a rescue mutt, that's awesome too.

Thank you - if I lived closer to Michigan I'd take you up on that offer in a heartbeat.. I'm hoping Kim will be able to point me to some New England owners who might be willing to let me meet some of their dogs. I agree that deciding on one of these dogs prior to actually meeting one would be a bit premature. Ideally I'd like to go out to Oregon and meet Kim and his pack myself, but realistically I don't think I can manage it.

And yes I have been reading all about that wonderful terrible twos stage. I can imagine it takes a good deal of patience and a heck of a lot of stubbornness on the owner's part to raise one of these pups, but from all I've read, it sounds like the reward is worth the extra effort. I suppose in the end it really doesn't matter if I adopt an Indian dog or a rescue mutt so long as I find the right match, and either way, it's a process I'm looking forward to.

I'd always assumed I would adopt a mutt
I want a dog that I am able to bond very closely.
will enjoy being out in the woods with me not just because I'm there, but also because he has as much interest in exploring as I do - one that will explore with me rather than just blindly follow.
A dog that, with training, has the capabilities to be an off leash hiking companion
One of the most important qualities that I need, though, is a dog who understands the woods and the wild things in it

You have definitely come to the right place. I will add that they are uncanny in the respect that they have for the "older dog in the family. When I got my pup, my boarder was 13years old, she is now 15 and Tolinka still has the where with all to bring out the pup in my old gal. But more importantly, he has great respect for her. She is now almost blind, her ears are not as sharp as they used to be and neither is her nose. When we play ball, Tolinka (he brings out two, one for him and one for her) ALWAYS watches her fetch, she goes first, and if she looses track of the ball, he will fetch it up and drop it at her feet. He makes sure she keeps up on our walks etc. I could speak volumes on this bred, but You have probably already read it here on the forum.

I wish you luck in your decision making. I will say, that when I read your posts, it sounds like you live in an ideal place where an AIdog would flourish, and have a good understanding of what these dogs are about. Everyone has given you a true picture of these dogs. Absolutely amazing animals. If you choose an AIDog, he/she will definitely become your shadow. They like to stick close. :P