Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Issues With Snake

Hi everyone , I have this issue with snake after two years my son was helping move my bed back after cleamning under it , Snake was on the bed why who knows I geuss he wanted a ride but any way when my son bent down to move the bed Snake Lunged at him and got his cheek now this is the 2nd time he has done this the first time I stopped him this time he was to quick now he did have a chewy stick with him My son can be over dominating to him but all in all Snake ok with him . Any Ideas maybe allison or Anna you could bring this up to kim . as of now Snake is not allowed on the bed or couch I have been sick to stomack about this cause now my son is angry and wants no part of him I told my son dont look at him dont pay any attention to him leave him be if he gets on my bed while I am at work leave him be. I tyook all chewys away until I can monitor them .

Hi Linda,

The first time this happened, did it have anything to do with your bed? You have mentioned that the boys sleep on your bed, and maybe Snake was being protective of "his" bed. Just a thought.....

Snake does not 'trust' your son, obviously.

He was probably trying to protect his/your bed, and your son Loomed over him. Hence the lunge.

Not condoning teeth on human, but your son seems Unstable and/or Unpredictable in Snake's eyes. AKA- 'dangerous'

I would avoid letting them spend much time unsupervised.

And go back to square one on their relationship.

Treats and play with supervision. If your son cannot act in a calm and civilized manner around Snake, do not leave them alone together- Either get rid of son or dog. Or there could be repeat incidents.

Son has rational/logical (allegedly) brain, Snake is working on mostly instinct and learned behavior.

Who should be the easier one to change?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Snake does not 'trust' your son, obviously.

He was probably trying to protect his/your bed, and your son Loomed over him. Hence the lunge.

Not condoning teeth on human, but your son seems Unstable and/or Unpredictable in Snake's eyes. AKA- 'dangerous'

I would avoid letting them spend much time unsupervised.

And go back to square one on their relationship.

Treats and play with supervision. If your son cannot act in a calm and civilized manner around Snake, do not leave them alone together- Either get rid of son or dog. Or there could be repeat incidents.

Son has rational/logical (allegedly) brain, Snake is working on mostly instinct and learned behavior.

Who should be the easier one to change?

Just my 2 cents worth.

thanks My son has been working realyl hard to get Snakes trust they were doing fine until the bed thing snake has been acting wierd lately my son is 22

What do you mean weird? Like how, what does he do?

talking back ( barking ) to me not coming when I call him at the park his tail is wagging now he growls at my son , when he walk in the room

more timid than normal this is making me sick I hate to think ill of my son or Snake my son has been moody lately too

Hi Linda,

The first time this happened, did it have anything to do with your bed? You have mentioned that the boys sleep on your bed, and maybe Snake was being protective of "his" bed. Just a thought.....

the first time he lunged it was on my bed and my son was waving his hands and going to bend over the bed yes I thought the same but this was different Snake does not sleep with me he stopped he sleeps in his own bed on thefloor the two boys usually wont be on the bed at the same time snake will get off Kim said let them work out domince between them I m wondering if he is jealous I can have thought of alot it seems Snake and Danza are have issues at the same time :)

I can have thought of alot it seems Snake and Danza are have issues at the same time :)

I thought the same thing. They are very similar, those two.

Well, here's my opinion and it's mine only! There are obviously issues between your son and the pup. It appears the pup is protecting himself. I don't mean any disrespect at all toward your son but has he hit the pup, teased him when you're gone or punished him that the pup feels so threatened by him? There's two sides to every story and unfortunately the pup can't tell his. I would definitely, until some trust can be regained, keep your son from the pup but again, this is your dog and your son. I can only hope that whatever is currently broken and be fixed. Again, this is only MY opinion and experience.

JudyK in Michigan

Well, here's my opinion and it's mine only! There are obviously issues between your son and the pup. It appears the pup is protecting himself. I don't mean any disrespect at all toward your son but has he hit the pup, teased him when you're gone or punished him that the pup feels so threatened by him? There's two sides to every story and unfortunately the pup can't tell his. I would definitely, until some trust can be regained, keep your son from the pup but again, this is your dog and your son. I can only hope that whatever is currently broken and be fixed. Again, this is only MY opinion and experience.

JudyK in Michigan

My son said he wont have anything to do with him I dont know what happened my son is 22yrs its not like he is 10 yrs old all I know he was so proud of the progress they had made My son has ADHD and his mood change he gets angry alot and Snake must have picked up on it who knows it just upsets me I have worked so hard with Snake and my son And he does not want to here exscuses for snake all he knows is that the dog went after him and made contact . trust broke on both sides

Such a difficult situation! I'm sorry to hear about it and hope you don't mind me butting into the conversation. I have a several thoughts about this, especially since a Border Collie cross I recently adopted lunged at and bit my sister (a life-long dog lover/owner/trainer) a couple of times after I brought him home.

Because dogs are more instinctual than us humans, we don't always get to know why they do what they do. My opinion regarding this is that they react in the moment to the authentic energy of the situation. When I am upset or angry inside (and trying to put on a good face on the outside) my animals react to my anger and upset-edness. The first time he lunged at her, I was feeling resentful of my sister for something she was asking me to do. I think he was reacting my unspoken anger at her. He is definitely teaching me to be aware of my authentic emotions and the present moment. Perhaps Snake was reacting to your son's mood. Was your son in a bad mood while helping you move the bed?

What has helped my newly adopted dog tremendously is 2 things. First, he lives by the rule that NOTHING in life is free. If he wants some love and scratching from a human, he has to sit politely and ask. If he wants to play fetch, he has to drop the ball at my feet and sit until I throw it. Before feeding, he has to lie down quietly while I'm making his dinner. He is not allowed on any furniture and is not loose in the house unless he's supervised...not because he isn't trustworthy, but because he has to ask permission for access to his toys, chewys, etc...

And the other thing that helped is structured obedience class - especially learning the "stay". In the "stay", he is learning to control himself in various situations even when his instincts are telling him to react. Also, obedience gave him a job to do, which I think is important for dogs that think (like Border Collies and AIDs). I don't plan on showing him or anything like that...I just wanted a reliable dog that wouldn't bite my sister (who lives across the street and comes over ALL the time.)

I hope things work out for your family and Snake. It sounds like he's living up to his name - lunging and striking out unexpectedly. Maybe you should change his name to "Cuddles". :-)

Warmest regards,

Bobbi

• Like 1
Such a difficult situation! I'm sorry to hear about it and hope you don't mind me butting into the conversation. I have a several thoughts about this, especially since a Border Collie cross I recently adopted lunged at and bit my sister (a life-long dog lover/owner/trainer) a couple of times after I brought him home.

Because dogs are more instinctual than us humans, we don't always get to know why they do what they do. My opinion regarding this is that they react in the moment to the authentic energy of the situation. When I am upset or angry inside (and trying to put on a good face on the outside) my animals react to my anger and upset-edness. The first time he lunged at her, I was feeling resentful of my sister for something she was asking me to do. I think he was reacting my unspoken anger at her. He is definitely teaching me to be aware of my authentic emotions and the present moment. Perhaps Snake was reacting to your son's mood. Was your son in a bad mood while helping you move the bed?

What has helped my newly adopted dog tremendously is 2 things. First, he lives by the rule that NOTHING in life is free. If he wants some love and scratching from a human, he has to sit politely and ask. If he wants to play fetch, he has to drop the ball at my feet and sit until I throw it. Before feeding, he has to lie down quietly while I'm making his dinner. He is not allowed on any furniture and is not loose in the house unless he's supervised...not because he isn't trustworthy, but because he has to ask permission for access to his toys, chewys, etc...

And the other thing that helped is structured obedience class - especially learning the "stay". In the "stay", he is learning to control himself in various situations even when his instincts are telling him to react. Also, obedience gave him a job to do, which I think is important for dogs that think (like Border Collies and AIDs). I don't plan on showing him or anything like that...I just wanted a reliable dog that wouldn't bite my sister (who lives across the street and comes over ALL the time.)

I hope things work out for your family and Snake. It sounds like he's living up to his name - lunging and striking out unexpectedly. Maybe you should change his name to "Cuddles". :-)

Warmest regards,

Bobbi

wE PUT THINGS OUT ON HERE TO GET IDEAS AND OPPINIONS OF OTHERS kIM NAMED sNAKE AND i NEVER CHANGED IT i THOUGHT OF HIS NAME AFTER HE LUNGED HE STRUCK LIKE A SNAKE HE CAN GET HIMSELF IN WIERD XCIOLED UP POSSIONS lol any way snake does not and has never played with toys I got snake from kim a week before his 1st birthday so he lived on the farm the whole time he is very obedienced trained so thats not an issue he waits int he other room while I fix his meal and only comes when I call him as well as the other two dogs I have

he asked to get on furniture that has been his spot for two years . a few people from here and that I know personally say the same thing its instinct reaction aright now my son is not having anything to do with him Snake has sort of regressed since this happended to day he would not run around and play at the park he stayed with me now when he did this I imediatle put him down and said NO! m aybe he is trying to kiss and make up lol thanks for you r advise I will use it

Maybe it's just the Dog Days of Summer -

(from Wikipedia):

The Romans referred to the dog days as diēs caniculārēs and associated the hot weather with the star Sirius. They considered Sirius to be the "Dog Star" because it is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major (Large Dog). Sirius is also the brightest star in the night sky. The term "Dog Days" was used earlier by the Greeks (see, e.g., Aristotle's Physics, 199a2).

The Dog Days originally were the days when Sirius rose just before or at the same time as sunrise (heliacal rising), which is no longer true, owing to precession of the equinoxes. The Romans sacrificed a brown hop[citation needed] at the beginning of the Dog Days to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that the star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather.

Dog Days were popularly believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, Quinto raged in anger, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies" according to Brady’s Clavis Calendarium, 1813. [1]

Maybe it's just the Dog Days of Summer -

(from Wikipedia):

The Romans referred to the dog days as diēs caniculārēs and associated the hot weather with the star Sirius. They considered Sirius to be the "Dog Star" because it is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major (Large Dog). Sirius is also the brightest star in the night sky. The term "Dog Days" was used earlier by the Greeks (see, e.g., Aristotle's Physics, 199a2).

The Dog Days originally were the days when Sirius rose just before or at the same time as sunrise (heliacal rising), which is no longer true, owing to precession of the equinoxes. The Romans sacrificed a brown hop[citation needed] at the beginning of the Dog Days to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that the star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather.

Dog Days were popularly believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, Quinto raged in anger, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies" according to Brady’s Clavis Calendarium, 1813. [1]

I like this the dogs as well as myself get affected with the moon why not the stars cause it came out of no where and Snake was upset over the whole thing kinda of got into a depression would not leave my side he is back to normal (What ever that is ) lol

I like this the dogs as well as myself get affected with the moon why not the stars cause it came out of no where and Snake was upset over the whole thing kinda of got into a depression would not leave my side he is back to normal (What ever that is ) lol

Tolinka has been a bit off too...full moon awareness! ;)

Linda, I don't think Snake is protecting you, as much as he is challenging your son for second place. You need to set the pack order.

• Like 1
Linda, I don't think Snake is protecting you, as much as he is challenging your son for second place. You need to set the pack order.

already have done it thank you

Tolinka has been a bit off too...full moon awareness! :huh:

I agree but Snake will let out a low growl whe my son does certian things and imediatly Im on him

Lots of other ways to set the pack order. Be sure to greet your son before you greet Snake. Let your son through the doorway, before Snake. The list goes on and on. Many ways to set pack order, besides waiting for something bad to happen. By then, Snake has already got what he wants, he has intimidated your son.

You probably know all this, but I had to suggest it, anyway.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
Lots of other ways to set the pack order. Be sure to greet your son before you greet Snake. Let your son through the doorway, before Snake. The list goes on and on. Many ways to set pack order, besides waiting for something bad to happen. By then, Snake has already got what he wants, he has intimidated your son.

You probably know all this, but I had to suggest it, anyway.

This is helpful..Zuni has growled at my daughters who don't live here but visit and eat food...the growling is usually over food and I never thought about pack order but I bet this is him pushing .... he has lost a lot of privileges lately and is getting better but always looking for the opportunity to move up.....grrr

• Like 1

NorCal, try having your daughters be in charge of feeding him his meals when they're visiting - by hand if you feel safe doing so (I'm not sure how old your daughters are). This will help get him into the mindset that they are in control of the valuable resource and will force him to look to them as providers. Don't leave food lying around for him to 'claim' as his own without being given it. If he is possessive of bones/chews as well you can follow the same protocol - pick them all up before your daughters visit and then periodically throughout the visit have one of them offer him a chew, asking him to sit or lie down first before giving it to him.

The more you involve them in his training, the more he will look to them for instruction rather than feeling that he can instruct them. It also helps to have a 'time out' command - I use 'go lie down' (he should remove himself from the situation and go lie down on his mat). It's not necessarily a negative command, in my case I use it whenever Rune is being fussy or whiny or anxious because it forces him to stop frantically pacing around and working himself up and it does seem to help calm his brain down a bit. If you have a similar command already you can teach your daughters how to give this command and to make sure he follows through with it so that if he ever does slip up and growl, you AND your daughters can tell him to remove himself from the situation immediately. He should stay there until you choose to allow him to participate in the situation again.

• Like 3