Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Xochitl Updates

She is so perfect. I LOVE your new house. We are currently looking at houses as well. Once we are settled we are also sending out a deposit for another pup XD

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is Aztec and pronounced "Soh-chee". Or, if you want to put the "L stop", "Soh-cheel".   She is going through quite the leggy phase right now and I am excited to let her run full speed once she i

I'll keep her updates and pictures over here in case people are wondering how she is doing.   This week should be 12/13 weeks and she is weighing in at about 17lbs. I'm thinking she should plateau

I'm just going to keep adding pictures here.    

Posted Images

I probably missed it, but would you please tell us again how to pronounce Xochitl?

Yeah, that is a good dog yard! Congratulations. Hard to fit that under a tree. You must be thrilled.

Love the twisted sleeping pic with the legs up. It is obviously a stressful, hard life for Xochitl. :lol:

I am so in love with our soon-to-be new place. I also learned it already has two plants I wanted - tomatoes and jalapeños. Moving the tomato plants and I think that the dogs will learn quickly not to eat the jalapeños. :P

As for how you pronounce it, think Sochi, like the Olympics. It is the easiest way to explain that one. :P

• Like 2

She is so perfect. I LOVE your new house. We are currently looking at houses as well. Once we are settled we are also sending out a deposit for another pup XD

@Nessa - BWAHAHA! We shall have our army!

• Like 2

It is Aztec and pronounced "Soh-chee". Or, if you want to put the "L stop", "Soh-cheel". :)

I have to practice. Love it!

@Nessa - BWAHAHA! We shall have our army!

I can only imagine what you mean, but it sounds like fun.

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATS ON THE NEW PLACE! IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

I'm near Austin once a year (depending on travel plans - sometimes a night in Austin - and try to see the bats - LOL) dogs with us. Maybe we'll get to meet up sometime.

Coffey is going thru a boisterous barking phase. I really hope it stops. It could get us thrown out of hotels. Luckily the neighbors aren't complaining.

Wow! The windows in the house and the backyard view, and the stream! HEAVEN!

• Like 1
A year has come and gone and Shaun and I find ourselves with the ability to purchase a house in Austin... so we did. And it is perfection. It backs up to a creek and most of the neighborhood is without gates. We're building a dog run, but the trails around the house and the neighbors don't mind pups meandering through.

For the longest time we never had a job where we could afford a place here and just thought we would be priced out eventually - but things changed, we hustled, and we found ourselves our perfect place within city limits. If you want to check it out, head HERE.

But our pup is starting to settle. She is still a wild little thing that I think will settle over time, but she definitely needs someone to run and play with - so we're going to try get a puppy as soon as I can sell my scooter and Burning Man is over (September). A boy. An alpha. I hope to God more chill than she is.

But here she is - the love of our lives. She is 15 months-ish, and 37lbs (lean and fast!) - she is starting to ​finally​ snuggle up with us and show her softer side. She simultaneously makes my heart leap with joy and drive me insane. If you have one of these pups, you understand. I will never own another breed. Challenging and satisfying. Quick and intelligent. When she nibbles a bit too hard and I yelp, she jumps into my lap and wraps her neck around mind and "arooooooos" me. I love her so.

Here are some recent-ish pics.

Hey, just to let you know that you have an AID neighbor here in Center Point, TX...about 2.5 hours from Austin. We have a 5 month old AID named Mo. He's loving the TX Hill Country and the wide open space life.

• Like 1
Hey, just to let you know that you have an AID neighbor here in Center Point, TX...about 2.5 hours from Austin. We have a 5 month old AID named Mo. He's loving the TX Hill Country and the wide open space life.

we need more space maybe we'll join that army!!

• Like 2

we need more space maybe we'll join that army!!

well, there's lots of space! Country, country, country, and more beautiful country...more deer than people.

• Like 1

Gah! how did I miss this?

We are going to be heading to Burning Man this year - and while we're going to be hauling it up there, I wouldn't mind making a stopover on the way back to hang with the pup on the way back. I'm not sure if you're place is fenced in, but I know that our pup will stay around if another pup is around. We take her out on the trails and it is so fun to watch her open up.

• Like 2

Gah! how did I miss this?

We are going to be heading to Burning Man this year - and while we're going to be hauling it up there, I wouldn't mind making a stopover on the way back to hang with the pup on the way back. I'm not sure if you're place is fenced in, but I know that our pup will stay around if another pup is around. We take her out on the trails and it is so fun to watch her open up.

Sounds like fun. We have a fence around the property - but barbed wire so getting through would be easy for these guys. Some nice trails to walk around though. We haven't got to advanced off-leash training yet but that's coming - Mo likes to hunt and when he gets on a trail of something he can be a difficult recall right now. Just let us know and we'll be ready!

• 2 months later...

CONGRATS ON THE NEW PLACE! IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

I'm near Austin once a year (depending on travel plans - sometimes a night in Austin - and try to see the bats - LOL) dogs with us. Maybe we'll get to meet up sometime.

Coffey is going thru a boisterous barking phase. I really hope it stops. It could get us thrown out of hotels. Luckily the neighbors aren't complaining.

Wow! The windows in the house and the backyard view, and the stream! HEAVEN!

Hopefully we'll have our fence up and we can have them play in the dog run. :D

If not this year, next?

Otherwise there are other dog parks we can hang at.

• Like 1

A little Spring update for you -

Xochitl has reached a down-right-defiant stage at 1.5 years. When we ask her to do something, she will look away from us and pretend she doesn't hear us. Everything from sit, to even "come" inside the house when no one else is around. I know she knows all her commands (~10). She wants everything to be a game, all the time.

Xochitl has become the utter snuggle bug when we're settling in for the night. She cuddles up between Shaun and I on the couch now. This is what I've been waiting for - for forever! She has also settled at a dainty 36lbs and her coat is filling in a little more each day. And every day she looks more and more like Rune. :P

We have moved into our new house - but the fence is going to need to wait since our electrical needs to be done (old house with aluminum wiring) and she is in heaven. She is currently on a 20 foot lead in the backyard and neighborhood dogs (they roam) come and visit her and play. I'm starting to realize that she needs a companion more and more.

That said, there are some habits I'd like to nip in the bud before we bring a new pup into the house. Like - escaping from her lead and bolting down the greenbelt/creek. I had to rush and put on my galoshes and hunt her down. I've included a picture of the path she took and the hell she put us through. These pups are so fast that catching them is impossible and she conveniently has forgotten "come". Also, have I mentioned she isn't food motivated? Like, at all. Doesn't care about treats. Or meat. Or peanut butter. I happened to catch her when she was tired and heading back home on a trail in which there was no room but to come directly to me. This has moved to priority #1.

It is all an adventure, right?

Either way, we're going to need her more under control before we head on our road trip to Burning Man this year so she can be on her best behavior for the dog sitter.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.57.20 copy.jpg

Screen Shot on 2018-03-14 at 09_42_58.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 4.58.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 9.43.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 9.43.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 9.43.42 AM.png

• Like 2

Tayamni forgot how to listen around that age. Luckily she IS food motivated. ;)

That is a nice greenbelt area! Glad you have that so she's not running the streets.

Both my dogs have gone through those phases - Tayamni earlier than Coffey.

This too shall pass. I would turn my back and ignore Tayamni when she wouldn't "come" around the house.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Tayamni forgot how to listen around that age. Luckily she IS food motivated. ;)

That is a nice greenbelt area! Glad you have that so she's not running the streets.

Both my dogs have gone through those phases - Tayamni earlier than Coffey.

This too shall pass. I would turn my back and ignore Tayamni when she wouldn't "come" around the house.

Good luck!

The ignoring works so well. Now if only the ignoring worked when she is in a bigger space! ;)

• Like 1

Zuni did same to my husband in a creek for almost an hour zooming right past him..i feel like they have to decide to let you be the boss...that said i also think agility classes have helped zuni. It gives you lots of chances to ask them to do things they think of as fun, like running fast, going through tunnels, jumping over things in a controlled-ish environment. Good luck and congrats on the new home!

• Like 1

Zuni did same to my husband in a creek for almost an hour zooming right past him..i feel like they have to decide to let you be the boss...that said i also think agility classes have helped zuni. It gives you lots of chances to ask them to do things they think of as fun, like running fast, going through tunnels, jumping over things in a controlled-ish environment. Good luck and congrats on the new home!

That is the plan! I know she would enjoy it. We need a bit more training as her placement still needs a bit of work, but I'm excited!

• Like 1

She's very cute. We had to put a GPS tracker on Wakinyan at that age. He's now excellent off lead (he's 6). Better than Fenris our 7 mo old GSD. On the other hand we have 4 year old Cake who has her own mind about everything and still needs to be on leash but is 50/50 when we are in the mood for working with her. Fortunately Fenris is very attached to Cake and has retrieved her. We plan to train him to do that..fortunately he just did it.

Will she come for a toy?

If there is a good boarding kennel in the area that might be a good option while she's in this run away phase. Kennels are never as awesome or loved as home. There's too much wing clipping containment time in the kennel. It may give her some perspective and graditude for you.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1

She's very cute. We had to put a GPS tracker on Wakinyan at that age. He's now excellent off lead (he's 6). Better than Fenris our 7 mo old GSD. On the other hand we have 4 year old Cake who has her own mind about everything and still needs to be on leash but is 50/50 when we are in the mood for working with her. Fortunately Fenris is very attached to Cake and has retrieved her. We plan to train him to do that..fortunately he just did it.

Will she come for a toy?

If there is a good boarding kennel in the area that might be a good option while she's in this run away phase. Kennels are never as awesome or loved as home. There's too much wing clipping containment time in the kennel. It may give her some perspective and graditude for you.

Thank you! I think she is super cute too. Very dainty at times - when she isn't making the "Why are you doing this to me?" anxiety face. :P

It is good to know that she may be better on the lead down the line. We just sent off our deposit for another puppers and are going to be approaching the off-leash training differently (all the time and walks in our cul-de-sac). She will want to stay around if there is another dog she knows that does stay - this happens with some of her best doggie friends.

She won't come for a toy. She has her own mind and when she has made it up to go and "open it up", there is just no getting her back.

As for the kennel, the last time she came back she was happy, but for the first time ever, a snuggle bug. I know that it works with her in particular. She missed us so much! That said, her boarding place has 4 acres for them to play during the day so not sure how much "wing clipping" is done there. ;)

• Like 5

Congrats on putting a deposit on another pup!! Xochitil will really love it, and so will you.

• Like 3

@Samie and @KittynDoc -

I feel good about having someone around to unleash her energy with and it will be good for her. I think she is getting super lonely these days.

• Like 3