Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I believe this is a quote from a book I have just started by Mark Doty, called "Dog Years". It is very much his style.

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"

or "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the

distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not

once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been spent with "just a dog," and in those

days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and

reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand

phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise" or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and

pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better

person. Because of "just a dog" I will make new Friends, take long walks and look

longingly to the future.

So for me and the folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of

all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, being able to

enjoy a good laugh and appreciate the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from

myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog"

but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a

person."

Boy, this is really making the rounds. I just got it for a second time, from Kim, with this note:

Spud ~

Could you put this up on the forum from me ….

People used to ask me all the time & still do, “How I can become so attached to ‘just a dog’ or why in the world I would want to save, just another breed of dog, Isn’t there enough dogs & breeds out there now … or how can you call it a breed?” …. I would answer, “YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER IDIOT PERSON! ….This is not just another breed & they are not ‘just another dog’ & no dog is just a Dog.” ----- Reading this really hit that spot within me & will probably hit that spot in all of you out there that know your dog is “not just another Dog” ~~ Kim

I have heard that phrase many times, even from friends who have dogs, and I have to tell myself it is a reflection of how our society has traditionally viewed dogs. An example is with the recent pet food scare. Some of those who lost pets wanted to sue for pain and suffering, but in our society, pets are considered property and you can't sue for pain and suffering over "damaged property". Anyone who's lost a pet knows pain and suffering are real (though I don't advocate suing..), our reactions are very much the same as if we lost a friend or family member. Laws may change, though, to reflect changing attitudes. Whatever the outcome, I think most of us on this forum do not feel that we have "just a dog", especially when they out-smart us... :D

I have heard that phrase many times, even from friends who have dogs, and I have to tell myself it is a reflection of how our society has traditionally viewed dogs. An example is with the recent pet food scare. Some of those who lost pets wanted to sue for pain and suffering, but in our society, pets are considered property and you can't sue for pain and suffering over "damaged property". Anyone who's lost a pet knows pain and suffering are real (though I don't advocate suing..), our reactions are very much the same as if we lost a friend or family member. Laws may change, though, to reflect changing attitudes. Whatever the outcome, I think most of us on this forum do not feel that we have "just a dog", especially when they out-smart us... :D

Yes we get 'just a dog' over here too! maybe he is 'just a dog' to others who don't get the love from him, the constancy of friendship, the unconditional comradeship of a friend who takes you as you are, who doesn't care if you are fat or thin, cool or hot, just as long as you know he is there. etc. etc.

i'll just add this bit to that band wagon for now, could go on and on though. 'Just a dog' HUH!!!