• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

Here is a neat site that has authentic beaded collars, just in time for Christmas...http://www.silverwol...SE-HALTERS.html

Also a well written article about the importance of culteral sensitivity vs cultural misappropriation. Good food for thought. http://www.cnn.com/2...?iref=allsearch

#2 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Reading your topic title I thought to myself, "Another Indian Dog?" lol I need to crack out my list of kewl-kollar links. As you said- just in time for Christmas :)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#3 ~IowayNationGirl~

~IowayNationGirl~

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

You must have to call on some of the prices because I cant see them nowhere unless I am overlooking them.

~ ~ Tonya D. ~ ~

~~~ He planned it so your path crossed mine ~~~

#4 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Star that WOULD be a great stocking stuffer. Tonya, I'm pricing it out for Waki. Something "dressy" for when he's out in the community representing the breed, not for everyday rolling in the mud. I'll let you know what she sais.

#5 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Here are a few we really like-

Might have to get them for Gatherings, etc..

cowboy cool canine

native_american__western_collars

I might have to make a version of this one for the kids...  :)

Maybe this one for 'every day'  

"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#6 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3433 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

My GAWD those are beautiful.  If my dog is dressed up, that means I get to dress up as well. :lol:  I just love to costume.

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#7 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I saw those and they are nice looking (I like the bear one) but if I want a Native American design it's going to be by a Native American Artist. I can't verify those (although the one sourced in New Mexico has a shot). I look for indication of authentic sourcing such as membership in the IACA - Indian Arts and Crafts Association. I also won't eat anything Cajun unless I'm in South Louisiana - it's just not the same, Chere.

http://www.twodogsso...ng-Dog-Collars/

There's always sleigh bells...http://www.classicbells.com/

http://www.gaeliccro...index.php/cat_7

#8 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

The sleigh bells would drive my guys nuts!

Tho I was toying with a set of Mystery Braid collars with simple buckles.  Made custom to fit each dog and out of a complimentary color of leather.

The other CarpeCanem collars would be a bit much, as my guys don't need martingales.  I don't like 'choke' or constriction collars.  They are unnecessary for my dogs.  Those collars are more specific to the PointeyNosed Crew.. aka Greyhounds and the like.

If I was going to put a beaded collar on my dog/s I would probably just buy the loom and make the bead band myself.  LOL

And being of Lakota Sioux and Cree ancestry, it would be authentic   ;)

#9 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Star, if you decide to do some beading or beading with conchos and especially if you do a design for Songdog Kennel/ AIDs I would buy from you. I'd rather put my$ in the pocket of a silver smith and/or bead artisan that knows what the symbols mean and gives a living artwork with some soul to me. Plus there's the satisfaction of providing a little success to that artist such that they can continue with the art form.

We have 3 jingle collars from Carpe C. The dogs get excited for them (but they think tractor noises are great fun too). The other collars they offer didn't appeal to me. They seem too wide - just my personal preference, plus I was looking for bells. I've been using the bells on Waki so I know where in the woods he is. He gets a lot of attention as the "Chistmas Dog" with them also.

#10 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Interests:gardening ,cooking, having BBQ'S .keeping busy , fleamarkets , Hanging out with my AID dogs

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Beading  is very teadious  I  some of  my  Indian   friend  do it   and  it takes  alot of time  Star  remember those  callors we looked at years ago  the  bone and leather ones  I found that company they  dont  do them  any more  and they  were  nice  I  am trying to get with this lady that  can  do it  but  she hard to get a hold of . Yes Bells  would  drive malachi  crazy he couldnt   chase the deer  LOL :)

I checked out  the sites  there is some nice ones  in there  good idea for the gathering

Linda Bell

#11 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I've done the loom beading before- bracelets, belts, etc..
And I got a screen shot of the collars, and I am maybe going to make one of the leather/silver/ponybead type.  :D

#12 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3433 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Star, if you decide to do some beading or beading with conchos and especially if you do a design for Songdog Kennel/ AIDs I would buy from you. I'd rather put my$ in the pocket of a silver smith and/or bead artisan that knows what the symbols mean and gives a living artwork with some soul to me. Plus there's the satisfaction of providing a little success to that artist such that they can continue with the art form.

Count me in for an order of 2 as well......that would be so cool.  :)

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#13 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Interests:gardening ,cooking, having BBQ'S .keeping busy , fleamarkets , Hanging out with my AID dogs

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

put me in  for  2 when you get them  done it would be nice for the gathering  in july :rolleyes:

Linda Bell

#14 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Oh man, now I have to buy a beading loom.. lol

And I am already planning on making ones similar to this for special occasions.

Attached Files

#15 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Now THAT'S a COLLAR!

#16 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

WOW!  That one is BEAUTIFUL!  I'm still in for 2.  :D

#17 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Star   that the callor  the company  does not  make  any more   I my self   have someone that can do it if  I can get a hold  of her  I loce these  callors  

I really like the ring  in the front  good for   hanging  medicine  bags :) . Star  if  you  make them Im  in  big time

Linda Bell

#18 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Do I see a side line business for Anna Star?  I hope so! :)

#19 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

oh man.

Working 6 days a week, Raising a puppy, the Holidays, and now I get to be Crafty..  gee thanks.. lol

Actually- once things slow down a bit, and I get the calendar done (yeah, that too..) I am planning on getting at my collar project, and when I have it figured out, I'll let ya know.  :)

#20 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hell Anna  if  you can  figure  those callors  out  I could sell  them  big time   at pow wows  an lone with my  dream catchers

OH NO! business adventure LOl

Linda Bell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users