Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Update From The Stressed Bailey Household

It has been awhile since I posted anything since Koda arrived in Oct. Life changed dramatically for us and we are still adjusting. We went from one older dog to 4 when Koda came to us. Our daughter had to do some cross training from in air refueling on the KC-10's to loadmaster on the C5's in Texas for the airforce and we found ourselves watching our 2 grandpups as well. We now have 7 yo Shadow, the old man, Dozer the 2 yo Boxer with the sensitive tummy issues, Andre the 5 yo Pitbull that can jump our 6 ft fence in 2 seconds flat (oh by the way he has not been fixed yet.) AND he does not like cats of which we have 3..... AND our 5 month old A.D.D. AIdog, Koda! We will have our grand pups until Feb. and counting down the days. Don't get me wrong they are good dogs there is just too many for the pup wanting to be Pack Leader over all of them and trying to teach him his place within the PACK! Andre sends him into a tizzie and he becomes uncontrollable. In all seriousness I love my puppy but have wandered if I have bit off more then I can chew. We have a strict schedule of when the cats get to roam the house and how each dog gets let out to meet his needs. The Boxer misses my Daughter and gets sick often so he has a special diet. I am handling everything as of now.... who am i kidding... I'm not handling it! B) Koda starts his puppy classes tonight. We have been training him up until now but find I need some assistance with his lack of attention spand... treats do not seem to even sway him. He does not listen even when we put the dogs in another room. He is more interested in running away from you and tearing down anything he can get his mouth on and play na na na boo boo you can't catch me and I AM FED UP with that ridiculous game. Some times you have to chase him because of what is in his mouth... calling him for a treat to distract him works sometimes but rarely. Forget about "Drop it" !!! I am hoping the classes help because I am at my wits end. We did not even set up a christmas tree this year because he had our table topper in shambles. We set one up at our daughters house and went there for the day. I hesitated to write on the forum because I feel as if I am failing him.... we walk him between 3-4 miles a day. Sometimes my job as a photographer is very demanding closer to the holidays without a set schedule and a few days he did not get walked. I am asking if anyone has some words of wisdom for me.... Is this how the breed is typically? Am I doing anything right? Is there something I can do better? Did I choose the wrong breed for us or is it just everything else added into the mix that is overwhelming me.... I'm sorry guys but I have had more days of tears then days of peace and harmony. Starting Menopause has not helped either. Our three teens do help with coaxing. I'm just stressed and want to have a dog that wants to sit and be with me. (I do not mean a lap dog, just a dog that will stop long enough to sit) This is far from our 1st dog and I do understand puppies and training but I am starting to wondering on how much I really do know....I certainly feel challenged with this one! I know this is a lot of text and it has taken me a very long time to come to terms that this forum is here to help not judge. So HELP.... PLEASE!

I did get this photo of him and amazed at how focused he looks because I swear when I took it... it was a pure action shot! LOL! Hope this finds everyone having a Happy New Year!

~Diana

The other Bailey's with a Koda and a Shadow now! :D

Koda__s_1st_Christmas_low_res.jpg

It has been awhile since I posted anything since Koda arrived in Oct. Life changed dramatically for us and we are still adjusting. We went from one older dog to 4 when Koda came to us. Our daughter had to do some cross training from in air refueling on the KC-10's to loadmaster on the C5's in Texas for the airforce and we found ourselves watching our 2 grandpups as well. We now have 7 yo Shadow, the old man, Dozer the 2 yo Boxer with the sensitive tummy issues, Andre the 5 yo Pitbull that can jump our 6 ft fence in 2 seconds flat (oh by the way he has not been fixed yet.) AND he does not like cats of which we have 3..... AND our 5 month old A.D.D. AIdog, Koda! We will have our grand pups until Feb. and counting down the days. Don't get me wrong they are good dogs there is just too many for the pup wanting to be Pack Leader over all of them and trying to teach him his place within the PACK! Andre sends him into a tizzie and he becomes uncontrollable. In all seriousness I love my puppy but have wandered if I have bit off more then I can chew. We have a strict schedule of when the cats get to roam the house and how each dog gets let out to meet his needs. The Boxer misses my Daughter and gets sick often so he has a special diet. I am handling everything as of now.... who am i kidding... I'm not handling it! B) Koda starts his puppy classes tonight. We have been training him up until now but find I need some assistance with his lack of attention spand... treats do not seem to even sway him. He does not listen even when we put the dogs in another room. He is more interested in running away from you and tearing down anything he can get his mouth on and play na na na boo boo you can't catch me and I AM FED UP with that ridiculous game. Some times you have to chase him because of what is in his mouth... calling him for a treat to distract him works sometimes but rarely. Forget about "Drop it" !!! I am hoping the classes help because I am at my wits end. We did not even set up a christmas tree this year because he had our table topper in shambles. We set one up at our daughters house and went there for the day. I hesitated to write on the forum because I feel as if I am failing him.... we walk him between 3-4 miles a day. Sometimes my job as a photographer is very demanding closer to the holidays without a set schedule and a few days he did not get walked. I am asking if anyone has some words of wisdom for me.... Is this how the breed is typically? Am I doing anything right? Is there something I can do better? Did I choose the wrong breed for us or is it just everything else added into the mix that is overwhelming me.... I'm sorry guys but I have had more days of tears then days of peace and harmony. Starting Menopause has not helped either. Our three teens do help with coaxing. I'm just stressed and want to have a dog that wants to sit and be with me. (I do not mean a lap dog, just a dog that will stop long enough to sit) This is far from our 1st dog and I do understand puppies and training but I am starting to wondering on how much I really do know....I certainly feel challenged with this one! I know this is a lot of text and it has taken me a very long time to come to terms that this forum is here to help not judge. So HELP.... PLEASE!

I did get this photo of him and amazed at how focused he looks because I swear when I took it... it was a pure action shot! LOL! Hope this finds everyone having a Happy New Year!

~Diana

The other Bailey's with a Koda and a Shadow now! :lol:

I have never owned an AID but I am waiting to get one very soon. But anyways I once had a dog just like that here are just some tips I don't know if they will work or not but they did for me. 1: My dog ALWAYS had to have her walk two times a day for about 1 1/2 hours each and it had to be fast pace. On the walk it was very important for her to be NEVER to go in front of me. If I would give her a command like "sit" and she didn't listen I would stop right where I was until she listened and then when she did I would praise her and keep going. When you give the command make sure you make eye contact. It sounds like Koda is fighting to be dominate over you. This is one of the hardest stages but you have to hold your ground and not give up and It'll be over. But just do little things like make sure you go out the door first, have him wait until you give him the okay to eat his food when you put it down. It also helped when I played one on on one with her with a ball or rope not for a long time or anything maybe just 10 min. This helped when she had shoes and was chewing them up because if I acted as if I was going to play with her and acted like I didn't care that she had what ever it was she'd forget about and come play. But I would always say drop it and then get her to play after she came I would say good girl and take whatever she had and would tell her to leave it and put it were her couldn't get it and go back to play with her for a bit. This also helps make a stronger bond with you and the dog so they will want to please you. Good luck and I hoped this helps!

Diane, whatever you do dont chase they love it, after the 2nd time I had enough and starting teach him the word drop. Now after a few seconds of me saying the word drop thats what he does. Puppys I forgot how they can be... any breed, but the AIdog is different bull headed but in the same sentence a sweetheart. Gotta to keep two steps ahead of there thinking and you will be alright. Its tough trying to train a pup when there are alot of interruptions. GOOD LUCK Natalie

I don't know if I should laugh or cry for you...amazing story about your stress load. If I was in your shoes I guess my first few priorites would be:

Have someone else watch your daughters' dogs. - there's way too much going on there to calm a puppy or get them all in a secure area and let them tire one another out.

Busy life? - get a treadmill and let that AIDog walk 'till its legs fall off'.

Never let Koda win. No matter what! The chasing thing shouldn't really exist; puppy proof your home. The few times I've had to chase ours because the sneak got something when I wasn't looking, I came at her real fast and ended it.

Get everything under control and you should be good in a month or two. I'm sure there's some great advice coming your way from other members. Good luck!!

Remember: I tired puppy is a good puppy.

I agree...a tired pup is a good puppy!!! Try to get as much exercise in as you can!!! Chhaya is still very energetic!!! Our Koda is helping with this.....

I always walked away and ignored Chhaya when she didn't listen to us and she eventually came around.

Try to stand firm with the pup and if you have to put the pup on a leash while in the house it may help....it's hard to have a puppy stuck to your side, but in the end it did make a difference for us!

Hoping the peace and contentment comes for your Bailey house as it is for our Bailey house!!!!

Good Luck!!!

I agree...a tired pup is a good puppy!!! Try to get as much exercise in as you can!!! Chhaya is still very energetic!!! Our Koda is helping with this.....

I always walked away and ignored Chhaya when she didn't listen to us and she eventually came around.

Try to stand firm with the pup and if you have to put the pup on a leash while in the house it may help....it's hard to have a puppy stuck to your side, but in the end it did make a difference for us!

Hoping the peace and contentment comes for your Bailey house as it is for our Bailey house!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Hi Diane -- JudyK from Northern Michigan. We spoke at length when you were considering an AID pup. First, the puppy is still very much a puppy. Our youngest just turned 6 months on January 1. After having seven of these guys, I can assure you that this is an extremely difficult age. The Pup is testing you and if it wins, the game is over for you as a pack leader. Never chase him (her?), that's exactly what they're waiting for. Walk away, pay no attention to him (of course, watch from the corner of your eye). You'll remember I did explain that they do need a lot of exercise. Right now you are way over your stress limit but know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Soon you will have your house back to just you and your pups. Is there a friend or neighbor that is able to take the other pups for a couple of hours during the day so it will just be you and Koda?

I know the feelings you're experiencing but don't throw in the towel. It certainly isn't because the breed isn't right for you. I remember the conversation we had about other things in your life and can understand where you're going but just hang on. (Menopause doesn't help with stretched patience either -- I remember that quite well - many tears were shed on a daily basis -- many). Every one of these owners has experienced everything that you are going through. If the yard is fenced in, let Koda run like the wind.

Know also that this breed is extremely headstrong. When he's doing something you don't like, a very loud NO will get his attention and you can then give him something that is his to divert him.

We didn't put up a tree either this year because LilChief is extremely inquisitive so I thought why should I raise my blood pressure when it's a natural question for him to wonder why there's a tree in the house - there's always next year. The other three would have been fine, we weren't having company so I just let it go. Remember that you have the in charge card. It will come, trust me.

Give me a call if you want to vent!!! I'll send you the number!! Better yet, I have your number and I'll give you a call tomorrow night!!!

JudyK

Diana, you have so much going on that it has to be hard to tell what's what. You should, first off, go easier on yourself. Just having the boxer's anxiety and stomach upset to deal with is a lot. Our older dog gets like that, and he needed that canned food you are probably using. He's OK now that we don't use a kennel to board him any more.

Koda is so cute! I love how fine his frame seems to be. You will find, in time, that he is not an alien dog and you are not in over your head. I think taking him to class is an excellent idea. It will give you some one-on-one time with him, which I imagine you are both missing, and it will give him a taste of success. I'm sure that with everything in your home in such a state of upheaval (including your hormones) he is confused and a little off-balance. A class will be fun, I hope.

I hope you get more concrete suggestions. You've gotten some great feedback so far. I'm not writing much right now, but I do have one little tip to try - you are more likely to get him where you want him if you run away from him, literally. Rather than chase him, try having him chase you. And if he's all nutty, like with a shoe or something, it can help to try to shock him. You just need to break his concentration to get him to focus on you. (It might not seem like concentration when he's out of control, but he's busy paying attention to something, it's just not you.)

Don't be such a stranger! You are not alone.

Karen

Thank you everyone for such words of support! It is good to know i am doing some things right! I refuse to chase but getting my daughter to stop when he has her fluffy boots is another...LOL! (funny stories for later but not now!!) She is not taking the assertive role of leader but of out of control diva!... She is only 12 and I am working with her. Things are better but when everyone wants you to control him because they say I am the only one he will listen to and that to me is not much is sooo frustrating. The class was more of a puppy review with a lot of talking and I wanted it to move along more but I see promise in the next 7 classes. It was nice to see him playing with puppies instead of 70 plus lb dogs. A little 3 month old english bulldog made some ferocious sounds that Koda did not know what to think during puppy play time. Koda is the oldest and tallest in the group of 5. Koda, a pug who stood on her back legs and boxed him, a gorgeous little pit terrier mix, a soon to be gigantic burmese mountain dog, and the bulldog. Quite a good mix. The bulldog was quite assertive and tackled Koda and held him down by sitting on top of him! It was nice to see him go submissive! The parents of the bulldog became concerned about their dog being to aggressive.... the cycle begins again.... :lol: I am a person that has to be in control.... after being a Navy Wife for so long it just becomes a part of you. Having a plan is more then half the battle. The rest is just being consistant, patient, and having a good support system. One day he will be the best dog we ever have, just like our stubborn, chow chow we had! She was an awesome dog.... notice I did not say Pup! lol. Thank God for the bad days so you can recognize all the good days you have! Thanks again for the support and I will keep you all posted. And a special thanks to you, Judy!

Thanks,

Diana

Thank you everyone for such words of support! It is good to know i am doing some things right! I refuse to chase but getting my daughter to stop when he has her fluffy boots is another...LOL! (funny stories for later but not now!!) She is not taking the assertive role of leader but of out of control diva!... She is only 12 and I am working with her. Things are better but when everyone wants you to control him because they say I am the only one he will listen to and that to me is not much is sooo frustrating. The class was more of a puppy review with a lot of talking and I wanted it to move along more but I see promise in the next 7 classes. It was nice to see him playing with puppies instead of 70 plus lb dogs. A little 3 month old english bulldog made some ferocious sounds that Koda did not know what to think during puppy play time. Koda is the oldest and tallest in the group of 5. Koda, a pug who stood on her back legs and boxed him, a gorgeous little pit terrier mix, a soon to be gigantic burmese mountain dog, and the bulldog. Quite a good mix. The bulldog was quite assertive and tackled Koda and held him down by sitting on top of him! It was nice to see him go submissive! The parents of the bulldog became concerned about their dog being to aggressive.... the cycle begins again.... :lol: I am a person that has to be in control.... after being a Navy Wife for so long it just becomes a part of you. Having a plan is more then half the battle. The rest is just being consistant, patient, and having a good support system. One day he will be the best dog we ever have, just like our stubborn, chow chow we had! She was an awesome dog.... notice I did not say Pup! lol. Thank God for the bad days so you can recognize all the good days you have! Thanks again for the support and I will keep you all posted. And a special thanks to you, Judy!

Thanks,

Diana

I think I feel your pain! I have two 6 month old AIDs, an old Lab and board a few puppies and other dogs on and off. Since I got the pups I have removed almost every thing that they can chew - this place looks like an empty dog park. I exercise the pups a lot - twice a day on leash, they have the run of acres during the day BUT they still chew everything in sight and dash if I catch them. I use two techniques that deter some bad behavior.

1. I pulverize hot peppers, boil them in water and use the spay on anything I don't want them to chew. Of course this only works for some things.

2. I use a spray bottle of water, actually I have many. I give a command like, "drop" give them the chance to respond and then spray if they don't drop. Once they drop I praise and pet. I don't have to spray often and now even visiting boarders 'drop' when they spot the bottle.

You may know all this, have tried both but it's what came to mind. GOOD Luck and hang in there.

Swade

Oh how the memories came flying back to me as I read this...and we only had our AI pup; I can't even begin to imagine the chaos that is happening within your humble abode!

Soul was very headstrong and a little bugger (devil that is) until we gained control. He was sneaky (still is at almost two - but now commands work) and wiley and OH so intelligent. After a very eventful three weeks, I remembered what Kim had told me ...do NOT let him win!

So - instead of treating him like a dog - we began treating him like an insolent toddler. All "dangers" were put up at "adult" levels. Toys were not strewn about the house but put away into a toy box. People were not chewies - only bully bones were. We crated him for quite a while when gone and he began to learn...and now, at almost 2 years old - he is, by far, the best dog we have ever owned.

Use the commands consistently and stick to the same ones, otherwise he'll get confused. Make sure the dogs are all fed at different times, the older one should probably be fed first. Get some alone time with him...in fact, I could just repeat what others have said - it all worked. Soul had a problem with being "too rough" when playing - he was a biter. So, the hubby got a pair of old leather work gloves out and taught him how to play nice. To this day - when those gloves come out, Soul knows he can be a little rougher. If no gloves are on, he doesn't bite down at all.

The biggest thing that hit me - the sense of failure...I had that too. I told my husband (usually while in tears) that I made a mistake (yes, I don't think I ever admitted that here before); that Soul was not a good fit for us...thank the powers that be we didn't agree on that one...I'd be lost without our little guy.

Also...VERY IMPORTANT...these dogs are empaths. They feel our emotions and if there is stress, Koda is going to react to it. If possible, try to keep an upbeat attitude when dealing with him...I know Soul would overreact to any mood changes and we actually now call him our "mood detector"! Be firm, be strong, and remember...in another few weeks, you are going to start to see little changes in your "AI Son". I promise!!

{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}

VERY WELL said Debi!!! Diana please keep trying as all will be good in the end! Now that we have Koda, I see some things that I should have been a little firmer with Chhaya...Koda is helping her right along....it will get easier and as Debi said just stay consistent!

Keep us updated as you are in our thoughts!!!

Debi, that MOOD DETECTOR thing is soooo true!!!

Debi, that MOOD DETECTOR thing is soooo true!!!

So much more than I ever expected. Kim had told us that the AI breed is very sensitive to moods but until you experience it, you have no clue. Brian (the hubby in hiding) often gets anxious before a show (he's a drummer) and it is so weird to see Soul engage with that. He turns into a different dog, I swear it! When Brian is feeling stressed, Soul will slow down, rub against him, and patiently sit at his feet with a worried look on his face. Brian has said that "scruffing" (running fingers through Soul's scruff) relaxes him and I've seen our active boy sit still for almost an hour while Brian does that...and that is not typical!

It is one thing to hear others talk about these dogs...once you have one, you'll run a muck on emotions. That is why Kim is particular about his owners...and why we are all "connected" once we bring one into our families!! My heart goes out to those who feel like "oh no" and the Bailey household. In a year (and more than likely, just a few months) I am sure the posts will be reflected on and laughed about!

I love this forum...the support, the empathy, the knowledge and understanding to our trials, and most importantly, that we are there for each other. There is ALWAYS something for us all to learn from others experiences. Thank you so much Diana, for being so honest and sharing what is going on in your very hectic life. I, as so many of us, feel your frustrations and anxiety. Your platter is definitely loaded to the point of over flowing. Everyone has given you excellent advise of which we all still learn from regardless of how long we have been care takers and companions to these wonderful animals. With each response, we keep learning and are reminded of our soft spots where we have to become stronger. Just keep in mind what so many of us feel....these dogs are magical. That mental place that you can achieve in communication is unbeatable and unbelievable til you get there, and you will. When you do, it is all worth it, and then you will probably want another, then another, then another.

Please keep in touch and let us all know how things progress. You've got a winner of a dog. Just allow him to let you know, how truly wonderful he is. That is part of our learning process :lol:

I know the Empathic ways all to well... It has been a curse and a blessing my entire life. I do not go around crowds if I can help it and I try to meditate daily to find my center. The more I can stay calm and serene and in control of my surroundings the more I can see and empathize with others and help them as well but it does not take hold of me and become my emotions. Sorry men... going a little TMI on you now... it is just a fact of life. But with the start of the menopause I am not in control and calm inside. Mid cycle and cycle time are absolutely the worse. So every two weeks it is like feeling what everyone is feeling around me ten fold. It is to hard to fight and becomes my own emotions. I see it in Koda's eyes, he does not know what to do so he acts out worse which escalates what I feel. The other animals sense it too. But I see it the most in Koda. So my question is what do you do when you have two empaths collide? Interesting huh! :lol:B) Right now we are doing better. We are bonding more and more each day. I think as we bond better we will know when and what to do to help each other. I am far from giving up on him but boy do I still know the frustrations of puppy-hood. Having such a response to my first plea for help has truly helped me. So again, thank you for letting me know I am not alone, this will pass, and maybe will allow me to also help someone in the future.

Thank you so much!

~diana and koda

*attached is a picture of koda when he was younger and Cheyenne (aka little diva! :D )

chey_and_koda_low_res.jpg

Diana....

We got our pup in Nov. There have been days when I felt pretty defeated. I thought maybe it was a bad case of worms, too much protein in the diet, what??? We had some serious wrestling matches where i put him on his back and held his mouth because he just would not stop trying to teethe on me. Finally, the pinch collar came into our life. I hated being that cold blooded, but MiKah certainly thought he was going to rule my house. I had to prove him wrong. I put it on him and took him for a walk. I think I wrote about that day here. He pulled and yowled and flung himself all over the road. I just maintained my pace and repeated, "Come MiKah." It was hard that first walk. Each one after that has gotten better and better. Now, no more pinch collar. MiKah has accepted, he is submissive to us. He has an occasional bad day but the best thing for MiKah was the 5 mile hikes in the wilderness where he had to watch us and keep up or be lost. We let him go free just as Kim instructed. Now, he seems to have more confidence, less wild demonic behavior. He is calm and content for the first day or two after the weekend of romping and ripping thru the woods. Then, by the end of the week, you can tell he needs to get out in the country without the leach and just be a dog. When MiKah is with us in the wilderness area, I see the dog that lived a nomadic existence with the tribe. His leash is off, he is sniffing and digging, climbing and roaming. City life must be pure HELL for these guys.

Diana....

We got our pup in Nov. There have been days when I felt pretty defeated. I thought maybe it was a bad case of worms, too much protein in the diet, what??? We had some serious wrestling matches where i put him on his back and held his mouth because he just would not stop trying to teethe on me. Finally, the pinch collar came into our life. I hated being that cold blooded, but MiKah certainly thought he was going to rule my house. I had to prove him wrong. I put it on him and took him for a walk. I think I wrote about that day here. He pulled and yowled and flung himself all over the road. I just maintained my pace and repeated, "Come MiKah." It was hard that first walk. Each one after that has gotten better and better. Now, no more pinch collar. MiKah has accepted, he is submissive to us. He has an occasional bad day but the best thing for MiKah was the 5 mile hikes in the wilderness where he had to watch us and keep up or be lost. We let him go free just as Kim instructed. Now, he seems to have more confidence, less wild demonic behavior. He is calm and content for the first day or two after the weekend of romping and ripping thru the woods. Then, by the end of the week, you can tell he needs to get out in the country without the leach and just be a dog. When MiKah is with us in the wilderness area, I see the dog that lived a nomadic existence with the tribe. His leash is off, he is sniffing and digging, climbing and roaming. City life must be pure HELL for these guys.

Have to disagree - living in the city has nothing to do with these guys!! We've had seven of these kids and live in the city. It's all about exercise and letting them know from the beginning that you are alpha. Just remember, too, your pup is still very much a puppy. Don't expect so much - they have to play and learn. Our youngest just turned 6 months and the terrible twos are starting!! Just be patient but remember he is extremely young.

JudyK

Have to disagree - living in the city has nothing to do with these guys!! We've had seven of these kids and live in the city. It's all about exercise and letting them know from the beginning that you are alpha. Just remember, too, your pup is still very much a puppy. Don't expect so much - they have to play and learn. Our youngest just turned 6 months and the terrible twos are starting!! Just be patient but remember he is extremely young.

JudyK

I 2nd Judy!

City life is perfectly fine for these guys- We live in the heart of a major metro area (well, for Oregon anyway lol) And Jasper is doing great. Job, Exercise, Training, and Behavior are the keys. Working backwards-

Behavior: Humans lead the pack, not dogs. End of statement. Dogs are allowed to be clever and contribute to the pack, but not lead.

I have always tried to set him up to succeed, and allow him many opportunities to make 'right choices' and he has learned MUCH from this.

Training: Civilized leash walking, basics of obedience, and tricks. We taught Jasper using full sentences -started with one word commands and quickly expounded to things like "Jas, please get your bone away from the furniture- Good boy, Thank you" or "Jas, don't jump on your brother, he doesn't like it. Good boy, Thank you" At 7 mo, he is perfectly capable of understanding complex sentences made up of words he already knows- and he often figures out new ones based on prior usage!

Exercise: We are fortunate, we have a 2nd dog, Mina, who helps exercise her little brother. But we don't rely on that alone. They get their daily pack-walk of 1.5 to 4 miles. He gets some walks solo with me, and sessions of play in and out of doors. We also get to the dog park 2-4x/week depending on weather.

Job: He is learning to be a Frisbee dog, and doing really well at it too! Also possibly a part-time service dog for me. So he gets to have 'new learning' situations on a daily basis, and brain exercise counts too! We are also fortunate that we have several businesses that will allow one or both dogs in for socialization and training.

Jas has gone camping, and stayed at a hotel, and been many places indoors that are not 'home' and been many places out of doors and the beach several times, and generally had an exciting and fun and safe puppyhood. Full of enlightening experiences and much joy and celebration of his successes!

But that's just my 2¢ :D

The daily X 3 on leash walks.........While walking on the leash I found that Tolinka would at times be really strong and cross in front of me like a freight train. When he did, I would turn us in a circle, in the direction that he was crossing and softly say, "this way." We would keep circling until I could feel he had "given up the lead," then continue on our walk. It used to take about 1/2 hour in the beginnings of each walk to settle his pulling, and demanding. Now he walks loose leash and knows not to cross in front. I take him to various new places and the mental stimulation is often enough to curb the physical. The other trick I used is to put my older dog in front so that her leash crossed in front of Tolinka's chest. This acted as a harness, or a break so he couldn't bolt. That also helped keep him in line. Ahhhhhhh there is nothing like a peaceful walk where everyone is in sync. :D Maybe try this one at a time with the dogs rather than in a pack at first.

How are the puppy classes going Diana?

This thread has been interesting. When we got our dog there were a number of litters at once, like there were when many of our new owners got their pups. The board was jumping with threads about the frustrations of living with a headstrong pup, and lots of problems and solutions got discussed. I've been wondering why there has been so little of that this time.

Maybe people don't want to look imperfect to the rest of the users of this forum. But, trust me, a lot of other people are sharing your frustrations right now. Don't worry. As many others have said, this is a phase and you will all get through it. Keeping the basics that Star outlined in mind will help it end more quickly and with a better outcome.

We had our second puppy class and I am not sure if I am offended or just mad.... the instructor was pointing out my dog as having prey drive issues and so very strong for such a young pup. With him having such wild instincts we are probably never going to be able to correct that in him. ERRR.... what is prey drive issues any way? And how is my dog wild compared to any other canine? Not sure if I am liking my class. So far she has not said or done anything I do not know. He shows signs of wanting to chase things like balls and squirrels and I am sure he would chase the cats if he got the chance but I am sure they could handle him. The instructor made reference to her husky having prey drive and killed her cat... I may want to really watch him closely. He may be just too wild......Again.. how is that any different then any other dog?

Frustrated still,

Diana

He may be just too wild......Again.. how is that any different then any other dog?

I don't know about "wild", maybe just "dog-y". I've never tried to train a dog to go against a strong instinct like that, or at least I've never thought of it that way. I do think the instinct is stronger in some dogs than others, and I've known people to "re-home" dogs that they couldn't work with when they lived on a farm. I've always felt sorry for the dogs in that situation, and the phrase "re-home" makes me ill. I wanted to yell at a friend; just say you are giving up on the dog because you don't have the time or patience to work with it.

Not you, of course! Remind your teacher that your dog is not hers, she's not a Husky, and try to bear in mind that "prey drive" is just a label like any other. It's not a sentence, and it might not even be accurate.

Karen

We had our second puppy class and I am not sure if I am offended or just mad.... the instructor was pointing out my dog as having prey drive issues and so very strong for such a young pup. With him having such wild instincts we are probably never going to be able to correct that in him. ERRR.... what is prey drive issues any way? And how is my dog wild compared to any other canine? Not sure if I am liking my class. So far she has not said or done anything I do not know. He shows signs of wanting to chase things like balls and squirrels and I am sure he would chase the cats if he got the chance but I am sure they could handle him. The instructor made reference to her husky having prey drive and killed her cat... I may want to really watch him closely. He may be just too wild......Again.. how is that any different then any other dog?

Frustrated still,

Diana

Don't know if this helps... I went to a puppy class and the trainer said my Tiva was aloof and head strong. She would be a challenge and maybe difficult with people. I quit going to the class, took Tiva to school to be around kids and she continues to be a bit "aloof" but is maturing into a very perceptive companion. She tests me all the time but REALLY understands that I'm going to be there to follow through. I think I am a bit aloof too - it's not a bad thing.

Hang tight! Swade

Frustrated still,

Diana

the instructor was pointing out my dog as having prey drive issues and so very strong for such a young pup. With him having such wild instincts we are probably never going to be able to correct that in him.

I hope I write these thoughts correctly...I found through training my AID I had to be very sharp eyed and totally aware and focused on their next move in order to stop what I didn't want him to do. In other words, recognize the body language as it starts and then eventually you will be able to see it just before it starts. It is training ourselves to read these dogs, which is not always easy. Just when you think you've got it, it may easily change. They change a lot the first year and a half. If you can engage him just before the moment of the chase, you've won! It is all a learning process for them and probably more for us. I know Tolinka does have the "hunt" instinct, but after his accident this last Thanks Giving, he is more attentive to my "commands." He still "hunts" but is selective to what he chases. So far no more chasing shadows (coyotes or raccoons) in the dark. So now he entertains himself by chasing things that climb trees (squirrels) a bit out of reach for him. :P or tennis balls. Stick close to Tiva and Good luck, it will all work out. Keep the faith.

Not all puppy classes are equal. If this one isn't working for you, don't feel bad about chucking it, and finding another that does.

As you said, "How is this different from any other dog?"

Prey drive is very useful for training. It is part of dog's relationship with man---the hunt.

Would anyone suggest that a bird dog is too wild, too prey driven to train? No, of course not. Yet they are bred to have a strong prey drive.

Now, couple a strong prey drive with serious intelligence, and you have a dog that might intimidate a mediocre trainer.

I made this mistake, myself. I stayed in a class, that neither of us liked, until it started to hurt us both, and our relationship. I did not want to fail. But in the end, it is for myself and my dog that I want to succeed, and not some trainer, that would prefer to stay in their comfort zone.

Just my 2cents.

Not all puppy classes are equal. If this one isn't working for you, don't feel bad about chucking it, and finding another that does.

As you said, "How is this different from any other dog?"

Prey drive is very useful for training. It is part of dog's relationship with man---the hunt.

Would anyone suggest that a bird dog is too wild, too prey driven to train? No, of course not. Yet they are bred to have a strong prey drive.

Now, couple a strong prey drive with serious intelligence, and you have a dog that might intimidate a mediocre trainer.

I made this mistake, myself. I stayed in a class, that neither of us liked, until it started to hurt us both, and our relationship. I did not want to fail. But in the end, it is for myself and my dog that I want to succeed, and not some trainer, that would prefer to stay in their comfort zone.

Just my 2cents.

Make that 4 cents Allison- I 2nd what she said.

Prey drive makes training very easy. You just need to know what motivates your dog.

Jasper wants, pretty much 2 things- chase and eat.

So I can reward him with either food or a toy. Simple.

We went to an obedience class too Jasper's thread (it's at #76) It did prove useful, tho not the way the "instructor" intended.. lol She continued to criticize me for my methods, as I did not go all squeaky-high-voice and pump him full of treats 24/7 -- LOL She accused him of having a 'very high prey drive' And I asked her how that differs from her Aussie or a BorderCollie, she just screwed up her face and looked at me funny... sigh

Well, we showed her- I worked on Jas's "Leave It" command at home, and when she used the fishing-pole and "squirrel" to try to break his concentration, all he did was glance at it and back to me..

HA! Take that Ms. HighNmighty! :P

She is one of those trainers that thinks you should "Never use anything that causes Pain or Fear." (and even says it in that berating Lecture voice..) My opinion is- that they should have consequences for bad behavior and Rewards for Good..

We seem to be doing fine.

Just learn to tune in to your pup, and it will get better.