Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Star's Pup Jasper Jay-Feather

Good Heavens!
You said- and I read- that these pups are smart... but wow

In about 24 hours, he has figured out, learned, or is at least grasping the concept of...

his crate is his space of sleep and food and water, toys and resting in safety.
biting skin or clothing makes the fun stop.
that going potty outside is a good thing.
following Mom is a good thing.
the word sit- and putting your butt on the ground makes treats happen.
chewing/playing with toys is preferred indoors.
fussing when being held does Not get you put down. (see Kim- I listened)
that whining doesn't get you what you want.
neither does jumping up.
sitting calmly does..!
the stairs will not kill him. -tho going down the stairs is still a bit of a challenge, lol
doorways aren't all that scary either.
when the cat stands his ground- it's best to back off. (still learning that one)

Edited by Starghoti
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So nice to hear that he is learning the ropes.

Good going Star, sounds like the new pup is fitting in like a pea in a pod. Have you figured out a name yet? Did I miss that one? Sounds like all is going well. :)

thanks everybody-

Nope- no name yet.. we've been calling him Jr. for now.. but the hubby has actively joined the name-quest.

(pup is currently unscrewing his head trying to chew on a bone.. L0L)

And he is definately looking to me for direction/defense. He likes to rest under my chair, or tucked up against my hip if I'm sitting on the ground.

He's doing so well. He even had some 'bonding' time with Trevor yesterday. T layed on the ground and let Jr check him out and they played a bit. It was so cute.

Took Jr around, in hand, to meet the neighbors- (so they would all see the cuteness and forgive the occasional bouts of yarping haha)

And he did wonderfully at the vet yesterday.

and he is settling in very safe/comfy

Sleeping in the yard

JrSleeping.jpg

Edited by Starghoti

Haha that picture is great, my lab does that whenever he's trying to get a good tummy rub. It's crazy to think that Jr. is learning all of those things so quickly, I've never heard of a dog that could do that. I've read a lot of stuff and spoken to Kim numerous times about this breed's intelligence, but every time I hear something new I'm always amazed.

That's one of Tolinka's favorite positions since I brought him home a year ago. I always thought it was a show of not only wanting a tummy rub, but a submissive position, plus feeling totally safe. The other thing he still does while resting on his tummy is he splays his back legs out to the sides. I thought that was just a puppy thing, but apparently not. Anyone know? Is this common when they get older or is it just because he has lost his jewels and there is nothing there to protect? I have had comments on how he sits referring to his lack of kahunas. Again his back legs protrude from his side. Weird :)

Well, we are into day 3 with 'Jr' and he is beginning to get his Feist on! Mina has decided he is worth her notice, and has begun playing with him. It's cute- he looks to me then her for what to do. They have romped and had breakfast and romped again, (for over an hour!) now he is settling for a short nap- then all over again! He is my new weight loss program lol, as I have to constantly keep up with him, and play, and do laps of the yard to build his puppy muscles and wear him out. :)
Oh and he's found the toy basket, and is learning not to chew on potted plants. We actually slept in a bit this morning, and I woke to him playing quietly in his crate- nosing the blankie and gnawing on his nylabone :). He's doing sooo well! I just have to remind myself occasionally that he IS a Baby and doesn't know better yet. Forgot how much Fun/Work raising a pup can be ;). Kim was right, he's got a play/fiest side and also the ability to just chill too.
Last night, while we were having our anniversary dinner on the back porch, he was going from a to b and turned and looked at me, like "hey Mom" and for just the briefest second- I could see the dog he could become-- T jokingly scolded him for making Mom cry :) :)

That's one of Tolinka's favorite positions since I brought him home a year ago. I always thought it was a show of not only wanting a tummy rub, but a submissive position, plus feeling totally safe. The other thing he still does while resting on his tummy is he splays his back legs out to the sides. I thought that was just a puppy thing, but apparently not. Anyone know? Is this common when they get older or is it just because he has lost his jewels and there is nothing there to protect? I have had comments on how he sits referring to his lack of kahunas. Again his back legs protrude from his side. Weird :)

All of ours do the legs to the side or straight out the back -- none of them have their "inners" and they're both male and female! Our wheatons did the same thing so am guessing it's a dog thing~~~

Well, we are into day 3 with 'Jr' and he is beginning to get his Feist on! Mina has decided he is worth her notice, and has begun playing with him.  It's cute- he looks to me then her for what to do.  They have romped and had breakfast and romped again, (for over an hour!) now he is settling for a short nap- then all over again!  He is my new weight loss program hiccup, as I have to constantly keep up wih him, and play, and do laps of the yard to build his puppy muscles and wear him out.  :)

Oh and he's found the toy basket, and is learning not to chew on potted plants. We actually slept in a bit this morning, and I woke to him playing quietly in his crate- nosing the blankie and gnawing on his nylabone :). He's doing sooo well! I just have to remind myself occasionally that he IS a Baby and doesn't know better yet. Forgot how much Fun/Work raising a pup can be ;). Kim was right, he's got a play/fiest side and also the ability to just chill too.

Last night, while we were having our anniversary dinner on the back porch, he was going from a to b and turned and looked at me, like "hey Mom" and for just the briefest second- I could see the dog he could become-- T jokingly scolded him for making Mom cry :) :)

Aww, I'm glad Mina decided he is worth her notice! I forgot about the chewing stage hiccup, although Chhaya and our cat Annie were at it this morning. Annie decided to lure Chhaya into finding the phone line behind the bed (yesterday it was the sweeper cord!), of course I was trying to get an extra half hour of sleep, which didn't happen! I was so mad at the two of them I jump out of bed and yelled at both of them "THAT'S ENOUGH!!!" Well the two of them looked at me like "what", but they knew I was mad. I looked right at Chhaya and said "that can hurt you". I don't know if it was me yelling or that fact she was looking right into my eyes when I said "that can hurt you", but she asked for forgiveness with head down and body right up against my leg. I normally don't yell at her like that, but she has tested me the last couple days with things (like the sweeper cord) and I guess I reached my limit.

She also learned about bees this morning!!! She was by my rock garden and there was a nest in the rocks...which she found with her paw....poor thing....she is ok, I put something on her paw for the sting. This has been an interesting morning and we've only been up for 3 hours!!!

Aren't these dogs just so amazing with the things they do? Can't wait to hear more on how things are going Starghoti!!! Oh and Happy Anniversary! How many years?

Maria- Thank you, and 10 years :) Hubby jokes that he got a compound mitre saw and I got a puppy... hahahaha

We have resorted to putting a small bell on the kiddo- as he is lightening fast and very stealthy hahaha

A couple pictures of he and his big sister playing

JrMFiest.jpg

JrMfacewrst.jpg

apparently he thinks that I am safe base.. L0L

JrMsbase.jpg

Oh and we have gone from 3am (2nd potty call) to 430am, his choice.. I woke at 3 and opened his crate and he was all squishy and lovey and "no, mommy, I's still tireds" so he got some loving and I let him go back to sleep YAY :)

Edited by Starghoti

Managed to capture the two on video too!

--tho it is currently only on my Facebook profile.

this board doesn't approve of Photobucket, so ya'll will have to wait until I can upload it to my site... sorries..

since you are already calling him JR why not that

thanks everybody-

Nope- no name yet.. we've been calling him Jr. for now.. but the hubby has actively joined the name-quest.

(pup is currently unscrewing his head trying to chew on a bone.. L0L)

And he is definately looking to me for direction/defense. He likes to rest under my chair, or tucked up against my hip if I'm sitting on the ground.

He's doing so well. He even had some 'bonding' time with Trevor yesterday. T layed on the ground and let Jr check him out and they played a bit. It was so cute.

Took Jr around, in hand, to meet the neighbors- (so they would all see the cuteness and forgive the occasional bouts of yarping haha)

And he did wonderfully at the vet yesterday.

and he is settling in very safe/comfy

Sleeping in the yard

since you are already calling him JR why not that

We are using Jr. because when we talk to Mina and Har about each other we use 'Brother' and 'Sister' so the little guy is 'Jr' so there is no confusion. Most all animals I grew up with had 2nd names like that. :)

But he needs a proper "Hey-You!" name too.. L0L

Maria- Thank you, and 10 years :) Hubby jokes that he got a compound mitre saw and I got a puppy... hahahaha

We have resorted to putting a small bell on the kiddo- as he is lightening fast and very stealthy hahaha

A couple pictures of he and his big sister playing

JrMFiest.jpg

JrMfacewrst.jpg

apparently he thinks that I am safe base.. L0L

JrMsbase.jpg

Oh and we have gone from 3am (2nd potty call) to 430am, his choice.. I woke at 3 and opened his crate and he was all squishy and lovey and "no, mommy, I's still tireds" so he got some loving and I let him go back to sleep YAY :)

Your are welcome!!! I'm glad you got your puppy!!! hiccup!!! That extra hour and a half makes a big difference doesn't it? Ha ha!

Sitka actually sleeps in that photo position, although he usually gets a couple tummy rubs, too.

Happy anniversary! We have also reached our decade mark. Mitre saw...my husband will be jealous.

The legs out position you describe, is common with some dogs, and most of these dogs.

Thanks Allison also your hubby can see my hubby's CMS in the background of the running/leaping/feist picture ;)

Yeah- this guy is weird. He likes to crawl. Hubby is trying to teach him "lo-crawl" as the opportunistic command. :blink:

And he also likes to hang on to rope toys and be, gently, drug across the carpet- either on his side or belly.

Still no danged name.

We are toying with Merlin now seeing if it fits.

*shrug*

Edited by Starghoti

;)

Well- Finally!

The little guy has a name YAY!

I would like to introduce Jasper Jay-Feather

6.jpg 8.jpg :blink:

Only took us a week....... longest we've ever taken to name anything.

He's named Jasper after the stone (have you seen his eyes??!!) We were picking blackberries, and he was 'helping' in his typical supervisory capacity. He looked up at me as I was talking to him, and I noticed that his eyes were about exactly the color of a couple of jasper beads I have. I asked him if his name might be Jasper, and he cocked his head and wagged his tail. Then his attention was caught by a blue jay feather in the grass. Which he promptly grabbed and chewed on for a moment then spit out at my feet and looked at me again. I agreed, "Ok then, Jasper Jay-Feather it is"

L0L PS: Hey Allison- I tried to change the heading on the topic to something like Star's pup Jasper, but there is no edit for that.. ;)

I also am a slacker, and need to get current pics. These are a couple days old, and his ears are fully erect now, and he's gained 2 lbs!

Was teasing Trevor that his Full name might be Jasper Jay-Feather Eats Like Black Hole

Edited by Starghoti

Thanks Allison!

I don't drink that much.. L0L0L

Oh and new pic of his big-ol earses!

L0L (what does this say about him??)

JasTongue.jpg

oh thank god.

Jasper has finally figured out that he can 'settle' indoors too.

Being raised outside, inside was far too new/exciting. All the input and stimulation of all the things and smells and sounds was just too much for him. He can settle in his crate, but has a really hard time relaxing without it.

He just played himself out and is now 'hangin' waiting for breakfast. Yay!

So there IS light at the end of the tunnel.. haha

Him and his big sister Mina finally relaxing

100_0432.jpg

Another Breakthrough!

We had a long and busy day yesterday (got the horse-donation for our garden) (and yes Allison- we put up the fence first.)

We went to bed a little early- round abouts 8:30, and thusly so did Jasper.

Well lo-behold! The guy did not need/want to get up at his usual mid-night time.

We all slept in till almost 5am, went out for a quick potty break, and then back to bed till 6:30!

Trumpets/Drums/Lights from on High! :)

I feel like a New Woman this morning heehee

Also I have noticed that now that he has week 9 under his furry belt, he is making better/wiser choices too.

And he is growing like a weed!

How much should these little guys eat? Feeding Jasper is like feeding a garbage can.. lolol

I feed half Nat/Bal Duck-Potatoe and half Canidae gold (grain free) (and a bit of high quality treats)

and he (11#) packs in most of a coffee cup's worth of food a day -spread over 2-3 meals

for reference, Mina (55#) eats 1.75 cup's / day.

I am basically working on the premise that I feed a portion about 1/3 the volume of his skull, (totaling that near cup of food over the span of the day) and cut back a smidge if he starts forming more than a thin layer of healthy puppy fat. Right?

He has gone through some shape/growth changes already. WOW :P

Gonna have to clean out the bigger crate soon-- eeks

Edited by Starghoti
I am basically working on the premise that I feed a portion about 1/3 the volume of his skull,...

That is so funny. That is exactly what I tell people that are taking care of our Parrot. I mean, if you give her a tomato, that is already three times the size of her head!

Sleeping is wonderful, isn't it? Our little guy, who used to be a slug-a-bed, now likes to get up by 6:30 at the latest. It's okay, the sun is up, and the air is cool. Once a week, I try to sleep until 7:30 or 8. Can't always manage it, but it seems glorious after 5 and 5:30.

If he wasn't so cute and gentle when he wakes me, it would be a lot harder, but he is terribly charming and fun. He is sort of like a hairy snooze alarm, with a grin.

As far as feeding, the back of dog food bags give an amount based on weight and age. This was very helpful to me. After that, I went by poop. If they are pooping all day, that's no good. Two healthy poops, morning and evening, is my preferred choice. It helps me to house train them, and I am able to keep watch on the health of their digestion.