Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Both of ours started on the bed. Waki decided he's a big boy and prefers to sleep on the floor like Shiva. Cake likes to sleep on our feet and when dawn breaks she slithers up between us and cuddles. If she has to pee, she makes little effervescent noises that will progress to outright poking with a foot if we don't gently wake.

• Like 1
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah- Takes a couple days, but the Sr dog usually will take to and protect the baby-dog.   *proof*

So hey! It's me...Kekona!     Just a note to catch up with everybody. How cool it is that all my cousins and sisters & brothers and stuff are going all over the country? Dad told me all ab

Breakthrough!   Over the last few days Kona has been going down at about 930 or so. She starts fading about about 8 and we spend the next 45 minutes trying to keep her awake. Then it's out for a p

Posted Images

How can such a small package hold so much energy? Okay,...I can wait a little longer--just a little, though.

• Like 1

That's hilarious about the foot thing with Cake and that she cuddles up in the morning. We're curious to see how this little one evolves.

Lili started in the crate and then progressed, rather swiftly if I remember correctly to being 'with us' in the bedroom...but over time she migrated out into the living room to be the protector of the realm, especially after Ida passed. She used the crate regularly prior to Kona...she's had everything taken by Kona...most hasn't really bothered her because the pup doesn't really 'claim' anything...she takes everything, has her moment and then moves on. Food though gets Lili's goat. Ain't takin' any guff from this little thing...MY FOOD! GET YOUR OWN!

• Like 1

C that's what Waki does. He starts in my study for serious sleep then after we all go to bed he goes to Tara's former pad and "protects the realm" unless there's thunder or something actually scary and then he comes into the bed room and wants to be in the middle between us. So fierce....

• Like 1

Quote Kim Laflamme:

Hi Kim,

Ha! I’ve been a little busy! Sorry, don’t have a picture of the three of us but this will have to do…or maybe two dogs and a mom? These two shots were taken within an hour of arrival.

First night was a breeze, she was knocked out by the inoculations so she crashed for a solid five hours (‘bout Midnight to 5am). Not a peep.

Saturday night however was a test of wills. She howled as if she were having her legs sawn off for six hours straight…for solid 4 hours followed by 2 hours interspersed with whining/howling/screaming/barking and whatever bizarre noise she could come up with. That was a challenge and I’m happy to say we won the challenge. Last night was significantly easier…went down, in the crate, with no fuss…at all.

She was very timid about coming out of the travel crate at the airport to relieve herself so she waited until she got to her new home to take care of that business. She met Lili and made it known that she’s not fond of other dogs running up on her to greet her without slowing down a little bit so that set a tone that lasted for about 2 hours….then it was best of friends! The occasional correction by big sis and Kekona is all good. I’m so happy for Lili…she’s on cloud nine!!

Starting to respond to her name…somewhat….it seems J Long way to go on that side of things but she’s very responsive to guidance. Pushes the boundaries all the time but handles the guidance well. Very smart little pup…and even tempered too. Likes to scrap it up with Liliko’i but she’ll also get easily overwhelmed by big sister and run away. Very funny to see her split second decision to just ‘take off’. She’s even learned the stairs! I’m very cautious on the stairs though, especially down, since her joints aren’t well developed yet. We confine her to one level in the house (we have two levels) and then spend time on the other level too just to even the routine.

She’s had three leash walks already…handles it extraordinarily well. Didn’t seem to mind the collar and it helped to have Lili leading the way but she did amazingly well on three short walks yesterday. She’s learning that sometimes she can put herself in harm’s way by walking between our feet and she’s starting to stay to the sides of the sidewalk.

No bathroom issues nor food problems…voracious is how I’d describe her. We’re feeding her Orijen puppy kibble and she’s taken to it pretty nicely. Nearly out of the kibble you sent but still mixing it in there. She’s been given a couple of servings (a little ramekin bowl filled a about halfway…couple of ounces) of goats milk that we found online through amazon. It’s condensed so you just add a can of water and you’re good to go. We use that along with some other tricks to get Lili to take her dose of Chinese Herbs for the knee problem so we thought we’d keep her on that path for a bit too.

All in all…she’s a wonderful addition to the family. Thanks for doing what you do!

Regards,

Chris - Downers Grove, IL

nappy.jpg

rivalry.jpg

• Like 1

Love that second picture! reminds me of a cartoon - Tom & Jerry maybe? Lil's look and Kekona tempting licking the rawhide while looking directly at Lili'!

• Like 1

Nice. Must be fun....oh wait, that's us!!

Another good night in the Chinatola household! We did however have a very harrowing experience at bedtime.

She's resistant to bedtime, like any normal baby would be, and she has really settled into what appears to be a routine. My strategy of lying in front of her 'box' as we call the crate paid off the second night in but last night it was a titanic struggle. Eventually she relented and started to calm down and play with her dragon but she somehow rolled onto her back and her head came to rest in the corner of the box...she paused a second and then tried to roll to her feet but her face and especially her right canine tooth (how appropriate that they named it that) got caught on the crate's wire wall. She panicked. Screaming bloody murder until I was able to open up the box and gently roll her head to 'un-stick' her from the evil box! She was traumatized. I worried that this would really cause a problem for her and create an irrational fear of the box for her but it didn't...after I took her head in my hands and applied the world famous 'alpha massage' technique she melted into relaxation and drifted almost immediately to sleep...almost...took about 10 minutes but very little whining in the process. After she calmed down it was almost as if she was embarrassed by what had happened because she wouldn't look at me and she kept to herself in the opposite corner of the box! Funny pup.

I've been trying to get the pup into as close to a normal routine for the rest of the house as possible and we're making strides along those lines. She's up to about 4 hours between potty breaks. She's had a few incidents in the house, one of which was last night when she decided to send a stealth bomb our way. Stinky!! Anyway, she seems to be picking up the cues but she's 8 weeks after all so this will take some time obviously.

Everyday (it's only been three full days...seems like 3 months already!) she gets a little more comfortable around the house. She's staked out her territory and defends it ferociously...until her 12 second attention span sends her investigating something else that is, then it's a new territory to stake out!

She's beginning to realize what her name is and she's demonstrated a real willingness to respond to the recall command! Not every time but she's running at about 75% which amazes me. Plus she's brought a modification to Lili's 'fetch' game. Lili loves the ball and lives to chase and retrieve however she steadfastly refuses to bring the ball all the way back to the person playing with her. It's uniform with whoever she plays with...doesn't matter if it's me, the neighbor, relatives visiting or the mailman...nobody gets the ball all the way back on the first try. Lili and I have developed this routine where she'll bring it back so far and then I tell her to 'c'mon' & she'll nudge it another 8" or so...then another 'c'mon' and she'll repeat until the ball is all the way back...it's pretty funny. Anyway, junior squint shows up and inserts herself in this game...by retrieving the ball that Lili has brought back and bringing it back the rest of the way! I thought it was a fluke but no, she did it 20+ times yesterday! Amazing dog! And Lili doesn't seem to mind as it speeds up the whole game anyway so she gets more throws to chase which is apparently the point of the game in her mind!!

She and Lili have bonded...deeply:

• Like 4

LOVE THE VIDEO!!!!!! :wub: Lili is really enjoying her 'little sister' then!

Have you tried other kibble in the past?

What prompted you to Orijen?

(I just SAW the post in the Food topic that you made - I forgot to follow the topic!

My other questions were answered there - THX!)

Yes, that is what I focused on LOL! The stinky poop!

I am REALLY glad that the crate incident didn't become anything bigger and she ended up embarrassed instead of afraid of the crate! Whew!

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

That is really sweet fun.

• Like 1

D...Lili's been on Orijen now for about a year...maybe a little longer. We used Blue for a while...it worked well until she grew tired of the same thing everyday...then she stopped eating out of protest. She's a pain that way! I suppose I'd get a little burned out eating the same thing everyday too. Our old vet, who has since moved on from the old clinic recommended Orijen and Lili took to it pretty quick. She does tire easily so we do have to mix it up for her.

The boards opened my mind to the whole raw food idea and we've had some interesting challenges as it pertains to raw food. Long & short is that it is the best way to feed your dogs but it isn't what I'd call convenient which in our case is somewhat important. We've struck a balance between convenience and variety by incorporating the Stella & Chewy's brand dehydrated food as a topper for the kibble which Lili absolutely loves. We actually serve it on the side instead of a topper. Part of the reason for that decision is the Chinese Herb program that Lili is on...tough to dose the herbs if the dog isn't nuts about the kibble! We've used goats milk...which works...for a while, but the most consistency we get is with the reconstituted Stella & Chewy's with the herbs mixed in prior to re-hydration.

I was reading Fromm's ingredients and noted it contains Yucca.

I think Orijen is higher in Protein and a also I like the "weeds" (natural grasses) and fruits into puts in to it's food.

I have Yucca growing in my backyard. I'd have to boil it to make a paste or powder or I could make a tea of it to give to dogs.

Yucca has good vitamins & minerals. If I fed raw meat, I would use Yucca along with some fruits and other veggies for a balanced diet.

I read up on yucca and it is good for anti-inflammatory in the the GI system and good for arthritis and joint health, and hip displasia.

You do have to watch because yucca can interfere with other medications - I'm not sure about the Chinese herbs - it says to check with Vet about medications.

I was wondering if Yucca powder on Orijen puppy food might reduce stinky poops? :rolleyes:

Anyway, junior squint shows up and inserts herself in this game...by retrieving the ball that Lili has brought back and bringing it back the rest of the way! I thought it was a fluke but no, she did it 20+ times yesterday! Amazing dog! And Lili doesn't seem to mind as it speeds up the whole game anyway so she gets more throws to chase which is apparently the point of the game in her mind!!

Two Step did the same thing when he was a pup...matter of fact he still does it.....three years later Interesting thing is, to this day they take turns (their game) when playing fetch. Two balls, two dogs, but they won't take a turn until the other has had his. :P No double play here. :lol:

• Like 2

Kona's only been here a couple of days but each morning the bond between her and Liliko'i is a little tighter than the night before....or it could be my imagination/projection?

yeah- Takes a couple days, but the Sr dog usually will take to and protect the baby-dog.

*proof*

Luv2.jpg

• Like 7

Another step forward!

No struggle to get to sleep last night....at about eleven even! The 3 AM wake up went extraordinarily well...pee'd & poo'd all in 10 minutes flat and back to bed...without a squeak!

Ay Captain, making for open water!

• Like 2

I am so happy for you, like you cannot imagine. On the other side, with an older dog.

• Like 2

thanks Al....we're pretty happy too...

Whew, a moment to catch my breath!

It's nice out!

she's resting.jpg

• Like 3
Seen all of those faces Lili makes at little sis too - some are what I call "Totem Pole Mouth" (example wolf below from knit tree site):
Wolf is honored in this 4 Color Pacific Northwest Knit Blanket
Close or Esc Key

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1

I wondered what you meant by that!

LOL - I knew! :P