Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi all,

Just found out what I had thought was originally a pimple (albeit growing larger) - is in fact a papilloma.

It is thankfully benign and there is only the one one just below her lower lip.

Our vet said keep an eye on it but it should go away on its own. Caused by virus and can be contagious to other dogs.

Showed me some awful cases.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Greg/Kim= FYI.

Thanks from Jo and Khya in Toronto

Teak had one of these (very small one) as a pup & it went away fairly quickly. Had to keep an eye on our other dog but she never did get any.

• Like 1

Both my boys had one each when they were young - both took a little over a month to go away. Wasn't an issue aside from having to keep them away from other dogs during that time.

My old dog at the time, however, did get them from Tamarack and he ended up with a whole mouthful of them that bled every time he ate because they got between his teeth. It was gross!

thank you...did your vet offer to laser them off because they were inside the mouth? I am keeping Khya away from all other dogs until this is gone!

he ended up with a whole mouthful of them that bled every time he ate because they got between his teeth

I was eating when I read that last night and good lord that was disgusting

• Like 2

LMAO

Oh my gosh, I have not heard of this. It has not been a problem in the kennels. Do you go to dog parks?

thank you...did your vet offer to laser them off because they were inside the mouth? I am keeping Khya away from all other dogs until this is gone!

No they didn't, but this was nearly 8 years ago now. They did go away on their own and I don't think they were painful (or if they were it was not apparent), it was just really, really gross.

Oh my gosh, I have not heard of this. It has not been a problem in the kennels. Do you go to dog parks?

Yes with the kennels being pretty isolated it would have to be introduced from an outside source somehow. I've only heard of them affecting puppies and older dogs with weak immune systems (common name around here is 'puppy warts'). They are harmless in young dogs with normal immune systems aside from simply being unsightly! They are not uncommon in dog parks and are spread by skin to skin contact with the wart, which of course easily happens during play, and shared water buckets with warty dogs.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Neither Tayamni or Coffey has had it. When we were going to our dog park there was a woman friendly with our DP group that brought her dog who was one day full of them on his face.

She said her Vet stated the dog got them at the dog park so she was bringing (her infected) dog back to play.

We all asked her to be responsible & leave until the dog is better because none of our dogs in the group had the "warts" and we didn't want them if we could help it.

That's been my only experience with them. I guess the Papilloma is everywhere.