• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

OMG...I feel your frustration. Let me call a few people I know in the Detroit rescue service and see if they have any suggestions. With our temps being below zero all weekend, I cannot believe yours were warmer!

Ours have been below zero and we have the lake effect wind so the wind chill is no less than 14 below. This afternoon we had another event. The owner was away -- up in Mackinac for a poker tournment (can't pay his bills but he can gamble) and had a 'friend' feed and water the dogs -- this was 1:20 this afternoon. I stood in the kitchen window and watched two cottage cheese size cups of dry kibble dumped over the fence. The next involved trying to get the gate open for the water bowl. He was kicking at the dogs and when one pup got out he grabbed it by the throat. I went absolutely ballistic. I flew out the back door and screamed at him. The idiot looked at me like I had three eyes and started shaking his head at me -- like mind your own business lady -- and I started yelling at him again. Called the owner when I saw him outside tonight and asked him to come over, which he did. He said he'd talk to his 'friend' but could give me no reason why the animals cannot come into the house. Larry made some beef broth and soup bones and took them over. He mixed in kibble and fed all four of the dogs. He said they gobbled up the warm soup and kibble - sure something warm in their bellies. I feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall and the only one upset is Larry and I. I can't believe these official animal care facilities can look me in the face and tell me the animals are fine!
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#22 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7689 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hey Judy, I did think about these dogs this winter, and wonder about them. Thought I'd bring this thread back up to the top, so you could vent.

So sorry to hear that they are still being treated so badly. What is wrong with people?
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#23 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hey Judy, I did think about these dogs this winter, and wonder about them. Thought I'd bring this thread back up to the top, so you could vent.

So sorry to hear that they are still being treated so badly. What is wrong with people?

Thanks for bringing this back up. Out of the five that live at this property - notice I don't call it a house because it's a pit - I have only seen one moving about. We cooked for them last winter but because my neighbor has a pending abuse lawsuit filed against them we can no longer go on the property. Get this -- we can be sited for trespassing. The mentality of the Humane Society and Animal Control Department of the Sheriff's office is mind boggling to me. We get the run around, told they are hunting dogs not pets to which we have all yelled they are an animal and deserve much better treatment. This guy is an alcoholic, his sons have severe mental problems (wonder why) and basically they just don't care about anything except finding their next drink. We are hopeful that the house goes into foreclosure again and he's gone. It's just so frustrating when people agree to accept an animal into their homes and treat them so poorly. Thanks for letting me vent -- yet again.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#24 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Not that I condone such behavior- but too bad someone (unrelated to you, Judy) can't come in in the dark of the night and do a commando-rescue op and remove the dogs to a better location- preferably in a different state. ...

grr
people like this make loose faith in humanity.

They are what a friend of mine calls "critters" (aka Not humans, merely worthy of extermination.)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#25 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7689 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Have you seen them? Are they moving around?

I'm with you S. :)
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#26 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3286 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

With those freezing temps, are the pups still living? Those poor baby's. They don't deserve this. Their owners should be hung up by their toe nails in the freezing cold chill of a dark stormy night. :) Ahhhhh but their Karma will catch up with them. That "pay ahead" theory works both ways. They will get theirs....some day!
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#27 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:09 AM

With those freezing temps, are the pups still living? Those poor baby's. They don't deserve this. Their owners should be hung up by their toe nails in the freezing cold chill of a dark stormy night. :ph34r: Ahhhhh but their Karma will catch up with them. That "pay ahead" theory works both ways. They will get theirs....some day!

Have only seen one of the five. Hanging by the 'toes' is too good for this clown - I can think of other body parts - sorry guys!!!

You're absolutely right, these dogs don't deserve to be treated like this. The only time they are of any use for him is to hunt bear and unfortunately they are always so happy to see him, it's sad. When his kids come home from school they have to walk right by the pens, dogs are all excited, tails wagging and NO ONE even acknowledges that they are there. My covert arrangements haven't worked - dogs won't come out of the kennels. When the covert attempted to get into the kennel they found it padlocked!! So, how the hell do they feed and water the pups .... they don't. They throw SUET over the top of the kennel and dump water through the fence into the bowl and other than that, the clown depends on rain to water these poor animals. In the summer we pull the hose through our fence and give them fresh water everyday. I know we're not supposed to hate other human beings but hate isn't strong enough for what I feel towards him and the girlfriend that lives there. They are despicable human beings.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#28 Roots

Roots

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, hiking, just about any type of exercise and vintage Italian scooters.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Tried talking to your neighbor yet? Maybe you can strike a deal...bring him whatever is favorite drink is to "break the ice" and then ask if you can give the dogs some comfort; better shelter conditions and food for FREE..just a suggestion seeing how the other (normal) things you tried didn't work. If he agrees, then you'd be able to rest easy.

Glad Curs are a tough breed.

#29 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Tried talking to your neighbor yet? Maybe you can strike a deal...bring him whatever is favorite drink is to "break the ice" and then ask if you can give the dogs some comfort; better shelter conditions and food for FREE..just a suggestion seeing how the other (normal) things you tried didn't work. If he agrees, then you'd be able to rest easy.

Glad Curs are a tough breed.

Talking was the first avenue we pursued. Now you have to realize, we live in a village of only 900 people in the summer when everyone is here. Up here everyone is related to everyone and not open to change. They think they have the right to treat their 'hunting dogs' anyway they want. This guy is a slob. You cannot even imagine the way he lives. He is an alcoholic to start with. The neighbor on the other side of him gave him an insulated dog house when this started last year - he literally destroyed it before the dogs even had the chance to enjoy it. He was a roofer, guy is only 35 years old, and these dogs have absolutely no protection from the elements over their little heads. The three pups are only 2, there's an older male that's ll and a female that's 10. They are up to their shoulders in snow. He provides little food and when he does it's hunks of suet. They literally eat their own feces to survive. Curs are a tough breed but they also deserve good food and a warm, safe place to live. Sorry, this just makes me crazy.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#30 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3286 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

this makes my heart and soul hurt for these pups. :ph34r:
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#31 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

this makes my heart and soul hurt for these pups. :ph34r:

My heart is so broken because I have to see it every single day - be it freezing winter or scorching summer. It is absolutely horrible. It hurts even more because the more we try to protect these poor animals, the more doors are slammed in our faces.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#32 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7689 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:10 AM

Would photos help? I know. The authorities aren't listening. I'm like you J, I have to keep trying to figure some way.

How about getting the press involved. Public outrage, and all that.

--David Dunning

#33 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

Would photos help? I know. The authorities aren't listening. I'm like you J, I have to keep trying to figure some way.

How about getting the press involved. Public outrage, and all that.

Photos were taken by the local Police Department as well as the neighbor on the other side of this house,since they're closer. I won't stop trying to help these innocent animals, it's not in my blood to quit. I appreciate being able to vent here because I know what are 'mutts' mean to each and everyone of us.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users