#161 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Life!

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Not really pictures of Nakoma, but... of a seal that a friend of mine and I (and Nakoma, of course) rescued.  The poor little buggar was on the shore, entangled in several pounds of ropes and sinkers.  It's a miracle he even made it to shore.  But we cut him free, and he made it safely back to the water.  As cute as he is, he did whatever he could to defend himself, warning us with hisses and even trying to bite.  (The closest he got to biting my arm was the sleeve of my baggy sweatshirt... he actually clamped on it and didn't let go as my arms where in close to his face as we were cutting the ropes [I'm in the pink pants].. that was scary, but I really couldn't blame the poor thing).  

The pictures are probably not in chronological order; but I'm sure you can figure it out.  

I'm happy to have been able to help out a seal.  It was a pretty surreal moment.  

Freeeeeedommmmm.jpg Headless Pink Pants.jpg Nakoma sees him off safely.jpg Thanks for your help stranger.jpg This Little Light of Mine.jpg Watch out - he bites.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Sinkers and ropes.jpg

#162 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

You are one brave citizen NyteBiker! Lucky seal!
"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#163 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:30 AM

Thank you Lake Girl! The poor seal. I'm sure that if any other person would have seen it, he or she would have helped, too. It was just a matter of timing. ❤️. So glad he's safe now.

#164 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

Wow, that's really amazing!! That seal was really lucky you guys came along....

#165 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3286 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:42 AM

Freedom is an amazing state.....Great job on the rescue.  

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#166 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

Yes,  that was one lucky seal and Ranger Komi looks like he is saying goodbye to a friend in the picture that the seal is going back out to sea!

Great job!

Glad you were able to save a life!

#167 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7685 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Wow.  What a story.  Yay, Ranger Komi for being so gentle!  

I'm so glad you guys were there to help.  Interesting that the little fellow clamped onto your sweatshirt--someplace to bite, but did not hurt you.  I have seen that with other animals, like they are "biting the bullet".

Was the little fellow cut/injured at all? 

When he was finally freed, did he run immediately away? I mean, did he seem to know you weren't chasing him any farther?

Geez, every seal that looks you in the eye, from now on, you will have to wonder, "Is that him?"

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#168 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone!  Ranger Komi loves all the animals we come across (mostly birds and crabs) and the occasional seal.  He's really curious with the seals; always gently approaching them to smell them and see what they are (funny looking dogs?).  There are many instances when we might see a horseshoe crab stuck on its back, so we flip it over, or a seagull with a broken wing stuck in the waves, and so we pull it out and move it to dryer land (they rarely survive much longer though; I just rather they don't pass on by drowning, and hopefully have some warmth and comfort before they go).  So now Nakoma will run ahead of me if he sees something out of the ordinary and check it out, and he'll look at me as if he's asking "can we help this one?"  Earlier this spring, we saw a dead seal washed up.  I went to him and touched him to see if there was any sign of life, but nothing; it just looked like he was sleeping; poor fella.  It made me really sad, and there was nothing I can do.  Nakoma must have sensed that, and his whole mood changed from happy and playful to somber, and he just quietly heeled the entire way back home.  He really is something else.  

... Allison, I have to agree, it was like this seal was biting the bullet, in retrospect.  I thought at first that he was probably trying to bite me, not realizing what a sleeve was.  But your idea makes more sense.  He was cut; the ropes and netting really dug into his skin near his front flipper; but nothing deep.  I'm sure it still must have hurt.  And we never got to examine his underside or anything, so we don't know for sure.  As soon as we cut the ropes off, he "ran" to the water as quickly as he could.  (Ever see a seal "run" on dry land?  it's adorable).  I'm pretty certain he knew we were helping him after a while (the whole ordeal took about twenty minutes) but I don't think he trusted us enough to want to hang around.  However, he did turn around and look back at us for a bit when he swam out past the jetties.  And then he swam away.  ...  We waited for probably another ten minutes or so to see if we could spot him again, but no such luck.  ... I haven't seen anymore seals since, but this is the time of year when they start leaving our area.  

We did see some whales last week though!  :)

#169 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7685 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

I'm pretty certain he knew we were helping him after a while (the whole ordeal took about twenty minutes) but I don't think he trusted us enough to want to hang around.  However, he did turn around and look back at us for a bit when he swam out past the jetties.  And then he swam away.  ... 

So cool.  At the very least he looked back to see that you weren't following him. That's the best you can hope for, really.  

I hope he teaches other seals to stay away from human trash in the sea.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#170 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

I hope he teaches other seals to stay away from human trash in the sea.

Me Too!

#171 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

Just having fun with some old and new pictures of Nakoma Jumping. He's truly amazing!! https://youtu.be/Lvg6HSnAT3Y

#172 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7685 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

That was fantastic!  I loved it!

--David Dunning

#173 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

Just having fun!! :-D

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20170811-153339.png
  • Collage 2017-08-12 20_11_16.jpg

#174 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

Hi Guys!

As we enter my favorite season of the year (Autumn, woohoo), I wanted to share this video of the fun summer mornings that Nakoma had with his buds. We'll still be on the beach during the winter, and so will a few other friends, but it won't be nearly as "packed" as it is in the summer.  I'm sure you'll be able to pick out Nakoma from the group.  

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/1_T3CXQYkyM

#175 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

AWE-SOME!!!!!

#176 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

We finally made it to the blessing of our animals this year. ... Though I'm the one who's blessed to have Nakoma. <3

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0984.JPG

#177 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

Love the photo!