Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

How To Help Grieving Dog

Boone is struggling with the loss of Jay Silverheels. They barked together at people on the sidewalk and howled together in the morning. Jay spent a lot of time sleeping in our closet the last couple weeks and Boone would go in and lay down beside him. Now he goes in there by himself and looks so sad. He's always been a sensitive boy. What have you done to help your dog grieve? By the way, a new puppy is not an option due to nearly $1000 in vet bills over the last 2 months.

20190917_215327.jpg

Love is such a treasure in all of its manifestations, but it comes at a high price when someone we love is taken from us. I've often looked at grief as the high price of love. It's there in the back of our minds, when we marry, when we have a child, when we bring the special gift of a dog into our lives...the day of parting. So we block it out and go forward enjoying the treasure of love, and that's a good thing. Every creature grieves differently, and for different periods of time, there is no right or wrong in this, we're all just a little different. The beauty and healing comes again in the form of LOVE, from those who try to comfort us, and are patient with us, and the remembrance of all the good days we were blessed with. All you can do is have patience with Boone and give him extra love and attention...car rides, belly rubs, distractions as he will accept them. If the closet was their little den, the scent and essence of Jay lingers there. He probably feels close to his buddy there. When we brought Kaposia home, it was uncanny how she homed right in on the sunny corner of the kitchen that was the favorite spot of our Golden...and we had remodeled with new flooring and paint in the interim, and Nugget had been over the rainbow bridge for 20 years. Even as a tiny new puppy, I think Kaposia picked up on the essence and scent of another dog. I'm sure you are grieving Jay also. Sending a prayer for comfort wrapped up in love your way.

• Like 4

That's a tough one. It may take him some time. OK. a new AI puppy was my top answer :P (but not too soon).

Tayamni lost a non A companion she grew up with and even when she got over it (it took about 4 months even With Coffey already here as a pup), well, for up to 2 years we couldn't mention Roger's name or she would moan and mope.

Is there something of Boone's that comforts him (that is not associated with Jay)? It sounds counterintuitive but may it will help to put it in there for him. Just a thought. See if he takes comfort or not by it.

It is tough to grieve and see your animals grieve too. Much love sent to all of you. :wub:

Hopefully someone else has a better answer to post here.

• Like 4

First a Howl for Jay. He was Cake's daddy too. I am so glad to hear he lived with Boone and Denise and Nick and am I remembering another dog too? What a fantastic family.

That said, let Boone take his time. Make him comfortable. There are some great suggestions here. I'd only worry if he isn't himself in a few months. Perhaps you can start your morning with a howl and Boone will know that you know what's on his mind. I'd say bark at people together from the couch but that might scare the neighbors..

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 2

First a Howl for Jay. He was Cake's daddy too. I am so glad to hear he lived with Boone and Denise and Nick and am I remembering another dog too? What a fantastic family.

That said, let Boone take his time. Make him comfortable. There are some great suggestions here. I'd only worry if he isn't himself in a few months. Perhaps you can start your morning with a howl and Boone will know that you know what's on his mind. I'd say bark at people together from the couch but that might scare the neighbors..

Haha our neighbors know we're crazy, so it's ok! Lots of barking and howling here at our house, and when the nextdoor neighbor stops over she always starts a howl with them. Boone and Houston start every single morning with a howl. Boone is never happy until he gets the whole pack included. He is glued to our side these days and getting lots and lots of love and attention. I kind of figured it's just like human grief, we have to work our way through it. Nick bought an agility jump and plans to start working with him on that. He loves to learn and that may help to occupy his mind and keep him busy...as Houston lounges nearby and watches with a bored expression :D

• Like 3

Jay Silverheels died? What happened? He is my pup's father.

Jay had heartworm at one point in his life. It was treated but he had some health issues related to that. He lived his last couple months with us and I can tell you that he was very happy. He absolutely loved having a doggie door and having Boone and Houston to hang out with. He was spoiled and loved by all...and he gave just as much love in return!

• Like 3