Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Retired Breeders For Adoption

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it is long past time to update this. Nova has been adopted out to a home in southern Oregon. Ice Blue and Peyote are still available. We can also add Chawa and Fawn to the list. A picture of

I have Blue Bird (Blue), a retired breeder who is eight years old. At SDK, Blue was in a compound with seven in the pack and she was not the top dog. When I brought her home, she only had Anoki here.

Posted Images

We have a couple; Dave & Liz Williams in FL, that are wanting to come out to pick up Nikki & possibly another older dog & while driving across country have offered to transport other older dogs to any new owners along the way. – I will give you more details as we go – thanks -

Kim La Flamme ~ founder/trustee of the AIDog breed for over 45 years -- www.indiandogs.com

what????? Florida??????? OMG ----- sign from heaven?????? or is it a test .... praying hard about it!

• Like 3

Are any of these dogs still available? Or have they been placed. I already emailed kim about taking a retiree. Lol. I have young kids, don't want a puppy, but I would love a seasoned patient dog who can handle kids and a cat. But kim said to look on forum for pics of some of retired dogs.

CFalcon, you can see the pictures here: http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3814

Greg will soon respond about availability.

I hear that Denise...a sign...I wonder...Florida is closer to PA than Oregon...

Yes I believe it is!!!! and if they are from northern Florida - we could all drive to a determined pickup point and have a group meet! ...... ( :wub:dreaming ...... )

Are any of these dogs still available? Or have they been placed. I already emailed kim about taking a retiree. Lol. I have young kids, don't want a puppy, but I would love a seasoned patient dog who can handle kids and a cat. But kim said to look on forum for pics of some of retired dogs.

Hi Greg, Allison and Kim,

Paul and I would LOVE to bring another dog home for Atticus to grow up with. Are any of the dogs still in need of a home? Ice looks so much like Atticus!

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay in posting, I have been out of town for about a week.

Here is what we have available as far as retired dogs are concerned: Ice Blue (8 years old), Peyote (8 years old), Chawa (7 years old) and Fawn (8 years old). All 4 dogs are females. There are two younger dogs available, one male and one female, both are approximately 18 months old. One, or both, may already be identified for a new home. The details are being worked out between Kim and the potential owner, but discuss it with Kim just in case it doesn't work out.

There is a picture of Ice Blue and Peyote at the beginning of this post on page one. Fawn and Chawa can be seen on the Breeders page. I will attempt to get an updated picture of Fawn and Chawa as well as a picture of the two younger dogs and post them.

Edited by Greg
  • Like 2

Thank you Greg! I was able to get on and check out fawn and chawa. Fawn definitely caught our eye. I just found out there is a weight limit for the dogs we can have at our place. It's 25 lbs. Do you by any chance know if any of these lovely ladies are at our under 25 lbs?

I'm sorry but all of these retired dogs are between the 35-45 pound range.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to bring everyone up to date on the retired dogs. Nova was adopted and living in southern Oregon. Ice Blue was adopted and living in northern Oregon. It looks as if Latte, a younger male who was never used for breeding, will also be moving to northern Oregon soon.

Still available for adoption is Chawa, Fawn, Peyote, and Nika (19 months old). Kim is now wanting me to add Jay Silver Heels to the list of retirees. All of these dogs, except Nika (see attached picture) can be seen on the Breeders Page.

Anyone interested, contact Kim or you can message me. I can provide some information and give you my take on each one of the available dogs.

Nika_1.jpg

• Like 5

Glad Latte is getting a good home! (and the others ;) )

It is probably hard to adopt a grown dog being so far away unless I could do a road trip someday.

I think we need a very grounded, laid back personality to balance the two already in the house.

Tayamni is very sensitive and Coffey is on high test. So we need neutral. (and able to be comfortable indoors and in many environments).

Someday, whether it be adopting an adult or another puppy, when its right it will happen.

• Like 1

Good news! I love that we all take of our dogs.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I will try to get some more photos.

• Like 1

I know I'll get a third. Just a matter of when.

My Mom thinks I'm crazy :wacko: , really - she said so. As she has gotten older she prefers small dogs, she has a Chiweenie.

I am trying to learn more and I think after my career at the construction company is over, I would like to learn how to be a professional dog behaviorist.

Just another reason to have a pack!

I would like to adopt a retired breeder next instead of getting another pup but since so far away an can't get out to SDK in foreseeable future, it would be hard to know if the new dog fits in well with the personalities of the two AI Dogs we have now instead of causing a chaotic atmosphere (I have two cats that adopted me).

Just call me torn! -_-:o

• Like 3

If only I could have a third dog, I'd like a pack of dogs. We met Nika, she is lovely, I almost skipped a puppy for her. When Zola is older, I'll adopt an older dog for sure.

Just curious if you know what litter Nika is from?

Just curious if you know what litter Nika is from?

I know Nika went home with Rik for a while but it was not a match with his dog --he might be able to tell you more....

• Like 1

We talked about it too but I don't want 3 dogs so close in age because they all probably start to leave at the same time. Otherwise it's extremely tempting to skip the teething phase.

• Like 2
We talked about it too but I don't want 3 dogs so close in age because they all probably start to leave at the same time. Otherwise it's extremely tempting to skip the teething phase.

Jay may be a little older .... ????

I understand the close in age thing about all getting old at the same time - however I have had cats live to 19 & 22 and also lose some a 5 & 12 years of age. My thinking on that is more that Tayamni being young and just starting to act adult then Coffey came in and she went puppy again so she couldn't give the adult corrections that she seems to be finally coming into now.

I would like the experience of the different training needed with an adult dog (like getting an adult dog at a rescue) vs raising a puppy.

If all puppies trained like Tayamni instead of Coffey that would be really nice.

Love Coffey great personality but still working on his over excitedness and his furniture destroying. He is NOT ready for his Canine Good Citizen test yet or service dog training.

Hence wondering, would an adult AI Dog help Coffey settle / mature quicker?

It would have to have the right personality balance so neither Tayamni of Coffey feels overwhelmed and changes personality for the worse.

Also, I would like the remaining cats I have to remain intact (all parts in the right place, etc) and if I adopt a med to high prey drive AI Dog that will chase the cat with Coffey - it would just make chaos instead of bringing balance.

So much to think about, I guess that's why most retired breeders get adopted in the area of SDK.

• Like 1

I guess I should have clarified we were thinking of Nika. I would think that the older dogs - at least the ladies - have a lot of experience raising pups so I would think they have some skills with respect to dogs that are still "pups", so to speak. Maybe some forum members that have taken the older dogs can chime in. Also Bandit's Mommom might have some tips on adopting an older male (although he wasn't a breeder). And Denise you are right that nothing is a given with respect to the time we have with our four leggeds. We're just a little raw from our recent loss. Everyone's situation is different.

• Like 2

I don't know who might answer here, but I have met many retired breeders after they have found new homes and then come back to visit at various gatherings.

If I could sum it up in one sentence, it would be:

They are happy dogs.

Most of them live inside with their new pack, and I swear they think they have won the lottery. Some still live outside, and they are very happy too, as now they share attention with only one or two other dogs; a small pack. In short, life is good for the retired breeders.

If you can offer them love and attention, you will see them respond to you with the same.

• Like 3