Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

In a Wildlife magazine (Jan. 2017) I saw an article that studied urban & suburban coyotes verses open range regarding their impact on the environments.

I found it interesting that the study found that humans, domestic animals and urban coyotes can coexist. They used to be and in some places are still considered nuisance animals.

They study remarked that urban Coyotes usually don't eat garbage, domestic dogs or domestic cats they have found. Coyotes prefer to eat opossums, raccoons and the like. It helps to keep the songbird population intact as these animals can't feed on the birds anymore.

Also it seems that where there are Coyotes there are no free range cats sighted. I have to assume they mean wild cats?

My Mom would like Coyotes in her area then as she has a resident Bobcat and is in fear that her little dog might be eaten so she always has to watch her when she is outside in the fenced backyard. Kinda defeats the purpose of the fenced backyard.

Here are come clips from the article, especially those that live in California might be interested:

1.  4 week old Coyote pup .jpg
2.  coexistence tips.jpg 3.  coexistence tips photo.jpg
4.  good wildlife neighbors.jpg
5.  urban coyote research 1.jpg 6.  urbsn coyote resesrch 2.jpg
7.  Model ciity for coexistence.jpg
  • Like 3

It is nice that the coyotes keep the feral cat, racoon, opossum and rabbit population in check, but humans and domestic animals need to exercise due caution. Chicago and suburbs have a healthy coyote population, we see them frequently and somehow it is always a bit startling. I'm sure most people saw the news footage several years ago where a coyote in urban Chicago sauntered into a deli and hopped into the beverage cooler. It just sat in there among the bottled drinks until animal control successfully "noosed" it and took it away. In our neighborhood some folks have taken to carrying golf clubs when they go out for walks as the critters can be quite brazen when they become accustomed to humans. Coyotes have even been seen following groups of children walking to school in the morning. One morning as I drove to work one sauntered (and they DO saunter, like they own all the turf their little paws touch!) right in front of my car. A guy walking his little dog on the sidewalk scooped his pup up into his arms, and we just stared at each other in shock through my windshield as said coyote continued on its way through the back yards of the houses on that block. We've gone from caves to tents to permanent houses, but we're still engaged in the struggle for balance with nature.

• Like 2

I had seen on the new a couple years ago - that traffic cameras are catching coyotes looking both ways before crossing the streets!

The nature rangers believe this is possibly a learned behavior now being passed down as there used to be more roadkill coyotes on Chicago streets.

There is a song video someone showed me a year ago or so and it had film of a Coyote riding a bus or train through the city.

It was real footage that they used - at least when I looked up on the internet. The Coyote had been captured on city cameras.

As we as people keep removing land that has been home to many animals they have to be somewhere or we are killing off species.

I would still have an air of caution meeting one in the country or the city - yet we do need to live in balance and I think the Coyotes are adapting pretty well.

Hopefully the central and east coast Coyotes will be as balanced as the west coast coyotes seem to be getting along.

• Like 3
I believe the subway riding coyote was in New York. LOL! They are smart buggers, and really beautiful animals.

I stand corrected....the coyote was on Portland, Oregon's light rail.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
It's axiomatic that where you have coyotes, anvil sales increase.

I had to look that word up ---- then as I am writing this .... I JUST got the humor! :D

Boy am I slow! :blink: Especially because when I saw the golf club photo I wondered if his name was Wile E. Coyote, :P

and loved the fact that hole is doglegged - I guess the club only has to worry if coyotes start asking for tee times :o

• Like 2

I can't even understand what that coyote pup has been through in just a few weeks of life!

I hope it heals and can be a coyote ambassador some day. Not sure if it will be able to go back into the wild or urban jungle.

So glad there are volunteers to step up and help!

Thanks for keeping us posted on this!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
The plot thickens, as they say.....wonder if they'll catch the perps? The pup has grown and is looking pretty good!

I noticed how different the 'modern' coyote face is from the AI Dogs. At least the picture of this one.

I hope they catch the perps - it is a difficult assignment though.

• Like 1
This is almost funny! Municipalities are going to run out of signs if they intend to cover every coyote sighting area!

I like that the signs are informative an make people aware how coyotes fit into the ecosystem. ^_^

I still don't know what mosquitoes are good for ..... :o

• Like 2

The only thing I can think of is that Mosquitoes are essential for certain viruses to thrive .... :unsure:

The poor pup looks so scared :-(, but I'm glad he is recovering well.

I hope they catch the bastard, but most likely he got away with murder. Literally.

• Like 2

...tried to paste a url for a story on Chicago's urban coyotes but it didn't work. Anyway, the sad news is that sarcoptic mange is spreading among these coyotes in the Northwest Suburbs. These sad looking creatures are being referred to as "Zombie Dogs," and that is exactly what they look like. I believe the story is being carried nationally on Fox and MSN.

Edited by LakeGirl

...tried to paste a url for a story on Chicago's urban coyotes but it didn't work. Anyway, the sad news is that sarcoptic mange is spreading among these coyotes in the Northwest Suburbs. These sad looking creatures are being referred to as "Zombie Dogs," and that is exactly what they look like. I believe the story is being carried nationally on Fox and MSN.

Oh crap! :(

I hope there is something that can be done for them.

I'll look for the article and read it.

Maybe they r Chupacabras?????

I found an article let's see if this posts:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-zombie-coyotes-met-20170906-story.html

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just saw an update story on the 9:00 PM news about the little coyote that was the sole survivor of his litter after someone broke their bones and tried to drown them. His name is Peace. He's made a remarkable recovery and is being introduced into a pack of other coyotes at a wildlife refuge. YAY! I'm hoping there might be an article about it in the paper tomorrow too.

Edited by LakeGirl
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...

IMG_5244.jpg. IMG_5245.jpg

This pair of coyotes were browsing in my neighbors yard, heading to the river this weekend. Beautiful and healthy. Magnificent.

• Like 2

Those are gorgeous. Thought I had a complimentary picture of my little coyote...not as close as I thought.

Edited by Carolyn

Those are super cute.

3 winters ago after a fresh snow fall I came across these tracks. They cut across the trail I was on and disappeared into the woods. Mine were the only human tracks. I followed the tracks into the woods a little ways, to a big dump full of light brown hair. I started to feel not so comfortable squatting to photograph same. What ever it was, it was tall, left prints significantly larger and deeper than my 70 lb male GSD. That whole winter I found what I called "Dogzilla"'s tracks, one time perfectly overlayed onto deer tracks. Here is a photo of the front paw (big) and back paw (little). Cake's prints which are the same size as typical coyote tracks look like little cat prints by comparison. The print was nearly as large and wide as half my boot and relatively fresh. I kept hoping I'd spot Dogzilla.

IMG_2984 (4).jpg

• Like 1