Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

My baby's "Official" name is AYOKA. It's a Cherokee word that means She Brought Hapiness. It seems that Ayoka is to much for some people so it got shortened to Yoki. My name for her (when she's good ) is Yoki Hama. We don't have to get into what I call her when she's bad. (Which isn't very often.) I really like all the names I've read so far. We are some creative, deep thinkers, aint we? These dogs are AWESOME!!!!!

There's a former member that had(has) a dog named Ayoka! He's the father to two of our 'kids'!! In fact, when she 'talked' about him she called him Happy!! My husband is still on the search for a name for the latest male!! Being of Native American heritage, he has always been fascinated with the story of Crazy Horse so I'm sure this will be different too!! We'll wait and see!!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I renamed Shasta, a white former breeder, Nefret. Nefret means beautiful in ancient Egyptian. She is very beautiful and looks like a white Anubis.

Tayamni (Azteca X Jay 09-13-2014). Tayamni is a Lakota constellation. Some believe where the souls born come from ... Yamni is Lakota for the number three and the constellation has three parts to i

WAKA ...a Sioux word meaning, Sacred. Also spelled Wakan or Wakahn. Shes expressing her maternal instinct...very protective of my Grand Niece, Ellie.

Posted Images

Tolinka means flapping ears of a coyote Two Moon because he has Yellow eyes thus Tolinka Two Moon.

My newest AID's name is Charlie Two Step...My grand daughter (6 years old) told me that was to be his name....so be it! :) It definitely fits.....

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this topic. I am enjoying it. Judy K you go girl! #7.

We'll have to have some puppy play dates when we get ours. Aidog that lurks, I love that picture of the gorgeous dog with the blue eyes in front of the flag. What flag is that?

Gib I love the dragon theme. I think dogs are dragons too.

I bet coyote is popular because these dogs strike me as having a lot of trickster. Hee hee hee.

The year of the Iron Rabbit is drawing to a close and this coming year (Feb 22) will be the year of the Water Dragon. Scott is a Wood Dragon. Water feeds wood so I hope for a long and auspicious pairing. I am a fire horse :0

I hope our pup will be connected to the thunder beings and protective powers. If born under Water Dragon that would seem to be a good connection. With that in mind the name I'm drawn to is Heyoka but if that is not respectful then Dorje (Tibetan - thunder bolt), or Wakan Dog (sacred power dog) or Wakinyan (Lakota - thunder being), depending on what is respectful. Here I will defer to Kim.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are all super names. I look forward to meeting your pup--the little thunder being, Heyoka, etc. By any name, he will still smell......sweet. I meant sweet, smell sweet!

• 1 year later...

so we have finally picked a name mooka it means to dig up which is what he loves to do with the snow and i am sure come thaw the

dirt,but at least he showed us some personality

Edited by oocahtah

Welcome Oocahtah! I like Mooka. I'll take a small "Mooka" Latte with whipped cream....

We are currently thinking of girl names. Scott likes "Suki" but 1) it's pronounce "ski" and 2) it isn't really a Japanese name - it means "to love/like" some one. So hopefully another name will strike. We have plenty of time. Unless someone knows a meaningful name that can be shortened to Suki (which seems like a good dog name).

Suki Waki? Maybe it will work after all...

thanks sherab we have 1 dog with a native name and 1 cat,and sadly the gsd i put down also had a native name we tried for the other 2 dogs and 3 cats but they

it didn't work with them but hey cant have everything,and i think suki is so great and orginal even prounced ski still sounds great

Looking forward to see more pics to match the names with..... :D

Our official name is GK Chesterton. We call him Chester. GK Chesterton is a favorite Author of my husband and me. In one of the kids' favorite books, Bunnicula, there is a cat character (a stupendous character) who, named after GK Chesterton, goes by the name of Chester.

In the running were Ares (Greek god of War), MacTerra (Mac for short) (Gaelic for Wolf), Madra Rue (Rue for short) (Gaelic for Fox), or Rosco get this one, elfish for fox. But there was so much fighting, i just picked and didn't tell anyone until he arrived. He was so darn cute, no one argued about the name.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 2 year old girl named Ziva and a 10 month old boy named DiNozzo. They are both named after characters on the tv show NCIS. They are our favorite characters on the show. They are strong, intelligent, and sexy. What better names could there be?! :P Ziva was born on 6-20-2010 and DiNozzo was born on 5-25-2012. Ziva's parents are Jay Silver heels and Shasta. DiNozzo's parents are Feather's Shadow and Red Rider.

• Like 1

Don't you just love the family connections.

My Hawk who was 8 Dec. 25 is uncle to Jay Silverheels and son to Red Rider. Love it!!!

• 3 years later...

LKiniki I remember this dog from like 1 photo. She is one of the most stunning creatures I've ever seen. Can't imagine what she'd look like in the flesh. I do hope you will post some more pictures and tell us her story and your story.

• Like 1

Shasta / Nefret always caught my eye. Would love to hear of some of her adventures now! :ph34r:

Tayamni (Azteca X Jay 09-13-2014). Tayamni is a Lakota constellation. Some believe where the souls born come from ... Yamni is Lakota for the number three and the constellation has three parts to it.

IMG_20161022_0912279~2.jpg

Coffey (Nosie X Tonto 06/08/2015). "Like the drink, only not spelled the same." John Coffey, (character) The Green Mile.

IMG_20160702_ONLY NOT SPELLED THE SAME.jpg

IMG_20170102_1751554.jpg (and the dancing begins ...) :P

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

WAKA ...a Sioux word meaning, Sacred. Also spelled Wakan or Wakahn. Shes expressing her maternal instinct...very protective of my Grand Niece, Ellie.

post-89548-0-30913300-1539775967_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2