Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi everyone. I have a major concern with my AID. He was such a sweet heart and such a wonderful dog until we got him neutered. He has been neutered for about a month now and ever since the day we brought him home from the hospital he has shown signs of aggression which he has never shown before. He growls at and "attacks" my 6 year old daughter and my senior dog who used to be his pal and now everyone except me seems to be his enemy. He also chases the cats and chickens around which he knows by now is against the rules. He also killed one of my chickens. The chickens used to be his buddies and they would hang out together. He used to protect them. I have worked with him extensively on his manners and what he is to do and not to do. He was supposed to be my new farm dog and help me protect the other animals from predators. He was doing an excellent job until he got neutered. It's like I brought home a completely different dog. Has anyone ever experienced this? It just doesn't seem right. I wonder if maybe it's a neurological problem? Can anyone help or give me suggestions?

Hi everyone. I have a major concern with my AID. He was such a sweet heart and such a wonderful dog until we got him neutered. He has been neutered for about a month now and ever since the day we brought him home from the hospital he has shown signs of aggression which he has never shown before. He growls at and "attacks" my 6 year old daughter and my senior dog who used to be his pal and now everyone except me seems to be his enemy. He also chases the cats and chickens around which he knows by now is against the rules. He also killed one of my chickens. The chickens used to be his buddies and they would hang out together. He used to protect them. I have worked with him extensively on his manners and what he is to do and not to do. He was supposed to be my new farm dog and help me protect the other animals from predators. He was doing an excellent job until he got neutered. It's like I brought home a completely different dog. Has anyone ever experienced this? It just doesn't seem right. I wonder if maybe it's a neurological problem? Can anyone help or give me suggestions?

Never heard of this with any breed. We've never had any experience like this with any dog -- male or female. I don't see how neutering could morph into a neurological problem. For your own peace of mind, give Kim a call or an email. He can better address this concern better than we can.

• Like 1

Only thing I can think of- and I am probably totally off my nut here (no pun intended)

is that somehow the vet made a minor error, and there is nerve pain at the surgery location.

or

something went bad with the anesthesia and caused 'problems' neurologically.

But I am NOT a vet, and don't know anything about this stuff.

Talk to Kim, Talk to your Vet.

• Like 1

I agree. Things happen. Mistakes get made. Talk to Kim, talk to your vet.

• Like 1

Hey, is it possible that he started to get his testosterone before he got neutered? If so, you should see a reduction in another month.

But, yes, ask Kim.

I agree that it might be a complication of the surgery and that you should call your vet. I'm not talking about blaming them, but they will have enough experience to tell you if they can help or not.

Good luck. This would upset me very much.

Karen

I am a veterinarian technician and I actually got to sit in the surgery room with my vet an assist with the surgery and no complications or anything out of the ordinary occured. It was as typical a neuter as one could possibly get. I seriously and highly doubt that it has anything to do with the procedure itself. I was just wondering if any other AID owner had experienced this. Thanks for all the input. I'll just wait it out and keep working with him to see if it will pas.

I'll just wait it out and keep working with him to see if it will pas.

Are you going to contact Kim? ..seems reasonable to get his input IMO.

• Like 2

Hello--I'm really sorry to hear about your problem. I'd be so upset if it happened to my dog. One thing you didn't mention is your dog's age at the time of neutering--that could possibly be relevant--sometimes the best behaved pups have setbacks and start unsocial behaviors for no apparent reason. The only dogs I've ever heard about who 'changed' after surgery were older dogs who had a bad reaction to the anesthesia--it happens to people too and sometimes takes weeks to clear up. I sincerely hope this is a temporary condition for your pup--Good luck. Barbara & Corazon'

• Like 1

Kim asks that you contact him, again. He has not received your email/phone message. I recommend that you email him.

Been thinking about this, and wonder if it isn't just a coincidence. They are all so perfect, at first, and then they start into that headstrong phase. I know my little guy was like this...just perfect, at first. Then we had to work with him about not chasing birds, etc.

Plus, my husband and he are so tight,...he's a bit spoiled.

He's not aggressive, but simply pushing the boundaries, to see what he can get away with. I am the trainer in this family, and I've had to bring the hammer down, a few times. When I do, it is clear that he does not like to get in trouble, and wants to please me, but he's just testing to see what those boundaries are, how much I'm going to stick to them, and if I really mean what I say.

It's the natural progression of a smart dog.

Recently, he has started to pull things off the counters. He waits until we are not watching, he knows he's not supposed to, but it is clear he is testing us on this.

This is the time when I have to keep training, and not let up for one moment.

I agree Allison , Training never stops Snake who is 3 I find I still need to remind him he push's once in a while Malachi he has started not wanting to leave the park he bolts with the look as if to say come catch me how do you correct that cause once they come to you you dont want to correct them then theu will think the were bad for coming we are working on it I have a few tricks he catches up quick its all play with him but like you said he is pushing his boundries. he is also a talker he has to tell you everything !!!!! if snake has a bone hewants to go out if someones walking down the street the funny one is when there is a dog on tv he has to go up and try and smell them hahahah or he lays there barking back at them as if to answer them . like I said he has alot to say back training . never stops

Been thinking about this, and wonder if it isn't just a coincidence. They are all so perfect, at first, and then they start into that headstrong phase. I know my little guy was like this...just perfect, at first. Then we had to work with him about not chasing birds, etc.

Plus, my husband and he are so tight,...he's a bit spoiled.

He's not aggressive, but simply pushing the boundaries, to see what he can get away with. I am the trainer in this family, and I've had to bring the hammer down, a few times. When I do, it is clear that he does not like to get in trouble, and wants to please me, but he's just testing to see what those boundaries are, how much I'm going to stick to them, and if I really mean what I say.

It's the natural progression of a smart dog.

Recently, he has started to pull things off the counters. He waits until we are not watching, he knows he's not supposed to, but it is clear he is testing us on this.

This is the time when I have to keep training, and not let up for one moment.

I just went downstairs to find my husbands hat on the ground, my garlic peeler, and a few other things. He's really testing me, the little, wonderful monster.

I just went downstairs to find my husbands hat on the ground, my garlic peeler, and a few other things. He's really testing me, the little, wonderful monster.

I guess I should enjoy these wonderful puppy days. The biggest problem I have been having is getting him outside one sniff to late. :D

I have a bottle of cayenne pepper JUST for counter surfing! lol

• Like 1

How do you use it?

Testing,...one..two..three.. Very funny. I'll be thinking that from now on.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Eddy. I have been working nonstop with him and my daughter and he has had some improvement. I mostly have to watch how my daughter is acting around him. She tends to get a little excited and then starts getting nervous when he gets excited so its a chain reaction. I think he would be fine if I could just get her to be calm around him but thats so hard to get into a 6 year olds head. I am starting to think that it's not so much aggression as it is maybe anxiety(?) around my daughter. I have hired a personal trainer who has knowledge on dog psychology and she has helped Eddy a bit too. We will still keep up the hard work and keep you posted on the progress. (I think the work will be mostly "training" my daughter than it is training the dog though. Hehe) Let me know if you guys have any suggestions with helping a child to understand how to properly act around a dog. Thanks.

Update on Eddy. I have been working nonstop with him and my daughter and he has had some improvement. I mostly have to watch how my daughter is acting around him. She tends to get a little excited and then starts getting nervous when he gets excited so its a chain reaction. I think he would be fine if I could just get her to be calm around him but thats so hard to get into a 6 year olds head. I am starting to think that it's not so much aggression as it is maybe anxiety(?) around my daughter. I have hired a personal trainer who has knowledge on dog psychology and she has helped Eddy a bit too. We will still keep up the hard work and keep you posted on the progress. (I think the work will be mostly "training" my daughter than it is training the dog though. Hehe) Let me know if you guys have any suggestions with helping a child to understand how to properly act around a dog. Thanks.

You're absolutely right on with the anxiety your daughter is exhibiting. It is a chain reaction because he's reading her and responding in like. It's very important that you let her know that her puppy will act just like she does -- if she's excited her puppy will be too. If you can get her to respond to your request to be calm and she sees that Eddy will be calm too that will help. We went through this with our grandkids both with all of our AIDS and their pup as well and after a few months of constant reminding them 'how they had to act' around our pups, we're now home free. It's still hectic when they first walk in the door after not seeing them for a while, ya know the high pitched voices greeting them,but after we remind them to just say hi, give a few head scratches, we're on our way to a good time. Good luck with your daughter and also Eddy!!!

I have hired a personal trainer who has knowledge on dog psychology and she has helped Eddy a bit too. We will still keep up the hard work and keep you posted on the progress.

I think the personal trainer was a great idea. Often, it is the owner that they train and not the dog, but either way it can be a really good tool to have another person look at things and help out.

Karen

• Like 1

Hi I am just getting into this cituation myself we have someone staying with us that has a 2yr old little boy now neither of my dogs have ever been around small kid like this snake cool stays out of the way but malachi gets I don know how to call it almost nervous worried excited he tries to play with the baby liek a pup oh oh today the baby cried becaus e he was tired and both dog went nuts barking I told them quit and it was alright snake growls from the couch but I had to get tough with mal he would not stop barking it upset him I think but tough I did get grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and made him lay down and settle now mind you I had the baby in one arm he settled I dont like getting all alpha on them but once in a while you have too he was fine after that he kept appologizing its not his fault he does not understand but if he would shut up he could learn Malachi barks ove reverything he crys wolf so much both dogs do not like anyone picking up the baby but I am working with them that it is ok especially the mom now out side mal is fine with the kids he love my neice whos 6 absolutley loves her but no one can pick her up either even in play tthats his kid I callit he sleeps with ehr and everything it will take time I geuss good luck and many patients

You're absolutely right on with the anxiety your daughter is exhibiting. It is a chain reaction because he's reading her and responding in like. It's very important that you let her know that her puppy will act just like she does -- if she's excited her puppy will be too. If you can get her to respond to your request to be calm and she sees that Eddy will be calm too that will help. We went through this with our grandkids both with all of our AIDS and their pup as well and after a few months of constant reminding them 'how they had to act' around our pups, we're now home free. It's still hectic when they first walk in the door after not seeing them for a while, ya know the high pitched voices greeting them,but after we remind them to just say hi, give a few head scratches, we're on our way to a good time. Good luck with your daughter and also Eddy!!!

Hi all. I'm new here and I've been researching the AIDogs and talking back and forth with Kim some. I finally got to meet an AIDog in person recently! Thank you Susan Worley and Trinity!

Raising two little ones together, one human and one puppy :)

It can be frustrating when your well-behaved pup starts to test what he knows are his limits. It is not abnormal at all. The most important thing is to stay consistent with boundaries, stimulate his mind and body with exercise, and keep his social interactions positive. I would suggest inserting some PRODUCTIVE walks (with the 6-year old in tow as well) and some constructive play time in addition to the training, to help burn off excess energy/anxiety. It might also be a good idea that he meets other kids and people so he doesn't think that they can all cause excitement and anxiety, as long as they are highly positive encounters. Make sure to reward him and give him attention when he's acting calm, so that he doesn't only get negative attention when he's excited or anxious...actually, ignoring him might be a good idea when he's not acting calm. The dog should be rewarded for being near her, to start the process of associating her with good things (food, pats, whatever he likes).

Just some suggestions. I hope everyone makes progress in the right direction!

-Ford

..its only my 6 year old..

Sounds like he has picked the one with whom he is competing.

Make sure to reward him and give him attention when he's acting calm, so that he doesn't only get negative attention when he's excited or anxious...

I forget this one, too many times. It's finally quiet, I can concentrate on my work...