Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Greetings From Switzerland!

Hi everybody!

I`m from Switzerland and i have two dogs.

Since a couple of days I heard about the American Indian dog and since then I`m very interested to know more about that dogs. But it`s very difficult to get information in german. My english is not so good, but I will try to learn more about this dogs, perhaps here in this forum.

About my person. I`m from Switzerland (Basel) and since 3 years ago I bought my first own dog named Nikita. She is a Sibirian Husky female and has a very beautiful caracter. Two years later I bought my second Husky, who was going through 3 hands before coming to me, and he was even 1,5 years old!!! His name is Phillis and he is a very funny and crazy dog.

Now we started in to the new saison of the training of Sleddogsports. I go by mountain bike with them and they have to pull me over 5 miles (7km). They like it very much and get crying before we start the tour. I hope that this winter we have more snow than the last winter. So we can go by sled. I bought a new sled and I will try this NOOOOW! ;-)))

We also join a Agility Group in the summer months. That is very funny and NIkita is quiet good in this sport. I also training them to listen to me in a dogschool were me made a lot of funny things.

Oh, I even didn`t wrote something about me. I`m 24 years old and I`m married. I^m a kindergarten teacher and teacher basic aswell. I dont have children but I like them a lot.

My dogs are the most important thing/hobby of my life. I also like doing the garden and write in forums.

Ok, I think i told too much from me. I^m sorry. ;-( now I will get to know a person here in switzerland who have a A.I.D . I will learn more about them.

A lot of nice greetings from switzerland!

Natalie

post-774-1187781547_thumb.jpg

post-774-1187781622_thumb.jpg

Hi Natalie! We do have an owner in Switzerland, who is very knowledgeable, and has one of the most gorgeous dogs you will ever see. He is here, in the states, just now. I'll see if I can get him to write to you. Nice to meet you.

Some of our dogs are sled dogs, too. We have a couple that compete in Alaska.

For now, if you go to http://www.indiandogs.com and look in the "Links and References" on the side bar, you will find Mountain Kennels--Switzerland.

I would love to try this activity, and especially skijorring. I have taught my dog the mushing signals, and they are so useful for so many things, that I recommend it to everyone!

Hi Allison!

I read about the guy in Switzerland. I know his homepage and i already tried to call him. Now I know why he didn`t response me ... hahaha

When does he come back to switzerland, you know?

He is the onlyone in switzerland who has a A.I.D?? Wow!

I saw one time a Indian Dog , but he was bigger than my dogs!! The said to me thats a American Indian Dog, but I didn`t believe that. Who knows???

Where here in the forum can I put my questions about the A.I.D ??

Greets,

Natalie

Feel free to put them right here. You may start a new thread, too, if you like.

Feel free to put them right here. You may start a new thread, too, if you like.

Estrella ~

I understand you asked about the defferances & simalarities of the Siberians & AIDogs. The Siberiens are a modern off shoot ... or modern relative of the old Siberien dogs that were very simaler to the Village Indian dogs that you can still some times find within the Alaskan Husky breed of today.

It would be the same as comparing the Neanderthal man to modern man in human construct. The old siberiens ... like the old Village Indian dogs & the modern lines that we have used in our AIDog breeding program have more of a primative dog personality & look. Example is; longer ears, more down (cicle type) tail, more sable markings, mask going down to tip of nose, & most important a more herding loyal personality. The older Village Indian Dogs & Siberiens had a much more virsitile working personality & they used them for much more than just pulling as they have for the past 500 years. As they were used for raindeer herding, baby setting children & hunting as well as pulling sleds or travois.

Some times as in the Alaskan Husky breed, you can find that old personality in some of the old bloodlines of the Siberien Husky breed. These ussually have the "old" typeprimative look to them as well as the old type versitile personality. These are the ones that we have looked for in the Village Indian dogs, that we have used resently in our breeding program for the AIDogs.

To make a long story shorter or more simple, the Siberiens are a modern relative that has been bred more for show & pulling than there old ancestors, that we are trying to save in the AIDog breed. Ther is also the fact that all breeds change with mans selectivly breeding them, all breeds even the AKC type "so called" pure bloods. So any breed changes according to the breeding after just 4 to 5 generations, when bred by man for spacific work or just for the looks in a showe ring.

That is what we are trying to stay away from in our breed, in fact in my opinion we are actually "improving" on the old bloodlines of the AIDogs to be more adaptable with modern owners & modern life & still stay the versitile "does it all" type breed that is needed even more now. All the modern breeds have been bred for just one or even 2 spicific jobs & have lost the ability to be our best friends & do all the jobs required as the perfect companion. If more modern Siberien breeders would breed for & bring back the defferant abilities of the old Siberiens it would be more loyal & better at agility than most of them are, but being bred to run away from you pulling a sled for so many years now, that's what most of them do .... run away, if they are not on a leash. Sounds like you may have one with some old bloodlines still in it that is good at agility ... thanks for your quistions & have fun with your dogs. There is more information on these subjects & modern breeds related to the old AIDogs on my "origins of the AIDogs" page of my web site, if you would like more info. ~