Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Health Check

Hawk had his once a year check up and I am happy to say he is in "tip-top" shape. His vet always comments on how healthy and beautiful he is. She wishes more dogs could be in as great a shape as he is. Oh, by the way he now weighs 40 lbs.

I just have to brag, he's my "boy"!!!

Hey, that is good news! How about a picture to go with this healthy update? What's Hawk looking like?

Hi Corrine,

Allison is helping me post some pictures of Hawk. He is 2 1/2 and such a sweetie. I couldn't ask for a better companion. We just learned that his litter mate Scout has fathered 2 new litters at Kim's. I can't wait to see pitures.

Lisa

Yes Lisa we want to see a photo!

Our vet says the same thing about Jake. It is interesting though, Jake is 46.6 pounds. I wonder when he'll stop growing. Does anyone know? He is over 8 months now.

Not to worry! Our dogs are about 60 lbs. and extremely lean. They are just AIDs with bigger bones! Seriously, they aren't fat at all just larger dogs!!

Judy K in Michigan

Hi Corrine,

Allison is helping me post some pictures of Hawk. He is 2 1/2 and such a sweetie. I couldn't ask for a better companion. We just learned that his litter mate Scout has fathered 2 new litters at Kim's. I can't wait to see pitures.

Lisa

Lisa,

That is Great!!! I look forward to seeing the pictures of Hawk and the new pups.

Corrine

Not to worry! Our dogs are about 60 lbs. and extremely lean. They are just AIDs with bigger bones! Seriously, they aren't fat at all just larger dogs!!

Judy K in Michigan

Judy,

I am thinking Jake could be in that 60 lbs range too. He is a glutten! Of course we keep an eye on him, but so far so good. Just have to wait and see.

Corrine

And here they are, the long awaited, and much anticipated photos of Hawk:

Hawk_1.jpg Hawk_2.jpg

Hawk_3.jpg Hawk_4.jpg

Hawk_5.jpg

He is gorgeous, and so are you, Lisa. I love the smile on your face, and I know the feeling.

That is great, how calm he looks in your arms. Also, I am glad to see others are hiking.

Thanks for the compliments but the girl holding Hawk is my daughter Rosie. She just turned 21. I am in the hiking picture, the "old lady" wearing red and a baseball hat. That was the weekend that my husband and I took a group of girls on a "retreat camping" trip.

Lisa

I don't see any old ladies....? Your daughter is beautiful. She takes after you, I see.

How come you're hanging out with so many kids? Are you a counselor or a teacher?

I am the coordinator for Catholic Campus Ministries for Western Oregon University. This past school year was my first year. I hold meetings at the campus house once a week. We get involved in community activities as well as projects outside our area. The past coordinator just talked about things in the bible, which I think are fine but "boring". My perspective is why read about things we need to live it. So, I got the students involved in fellowship projects. Just an example, we spent most of fall term working on "operation love boxes". This project we got our church involved also. The students wrote letters to local business looking for donations. The response was wonderful. Business as well as the community donated books, money, toiletries etc... In turn the students wrote letters of encouragement, we boxed up items (non-parishable) and sent them to various service men and women serving our country. The response was overwhelming. We actually adopted a troop in Kabul Afghanistan. Over the past school year we had sent 32 boxes. We found out through e-mail sent from the troops that the children love to get candy from the U.S. So we made sure we always sent bags of candy for the kids. This was such a rewarding project. So to answer your question, I am not a teacher or councilor. I am just a mom helping out.

Gee whiz, that's a lot of helping out! Very cool. I love that hiking picture with the kids, and you are right about "living it"--nothing better for the soul than time with Nature, and to bring along an AIDog! It doesn't get better than that.

I've started doing some tutoring in the local grade school--math, and I've just been asked to add some reading. I'm only beginning, but it is very rewarding.

I see why I always thought you were one of the youngsters. You certainly have retained your youthful optimism. It's infectious.

Tell me, how does Hawk act around a hiking group? Does he stick with you and your daughter, or does he work the crowd? Does he scout ahead, stick to the trail, or run off and come back?

Hawk's wearing packs, too. You should check out this thread.

That sounds like so much fun, being in the classroom. I use too be a substitute instructional assistant at our local elementary school. I loved it. Especially working with the kids hands on in the class room. The hours were great, I'd only be working the hours my daughter was in school. After 12 years of doing this though I got a little burned out.

Hawk loves to hike. We get his pack out and he's ready to hit the trial. I never let him off his leach. But he does have to be first. I don't mind because he sometimes pulls me up a hill or I brace with him going down. When he has his pack on he feels that its his job to be the leader. He usally doesn't bother with anyone until we stop to rest and then he looks for a scratch behind the ear.

We've been talking about where we are going for our camping vacation this summer. Hopefully it will include some hiking trips.

Gee, we have a couple things in common:

I have often been thankful that Coyo pulls on the uphill. He only does it in certain leashes, so it is easily controlled. And we always take a camping holiday. We usually go to the same place--it's like our place--but this year, we will actually go to our place in the mountains!

Can hardly wait.

I love that feeling, after spending a couple weeks in Nature, when water seems so precious, and you need very little of everything, and it is so strange to be indoors.

Did you happen to see the travois, that Yvonn, one of the gals from the Netherlands, made for her dog? It is really cool, and I think I might try to make something like that while we are camping. And we plan to work on an outdoor shower--solar, of course!

A 21 year old daughter......wow. That we do not have in common. That is a great pic of her holding Hawk.

I know what you mean by getting away from things. I love the outdoors. I am leaning towards going down to Crater Lake this year. I love the mystery it portrays. We took a boat ride down on the lake once. It was very different than any other boat trip I've taken. I wasn't scared, but just felt different.

Have you ever taken the mail boats up the Rouge River? It is such a blast. You ride in this boat that holds either 75 or 150 people. We took the smaller one because it travels farther up into white water. It's kinda spendy but I think worth it.

Before we got Hawk we did a 5 day backpack trip into the 8 lake basin. This is an area with a number of lakes you can hike too in a day or camp and travel to them on day hikes. We back packed in 5 miles and set up a base camp and then took day hikes out to all the various ones around it. One day while hiking Rosie decided she wanted to run ahead of us, she was training for cross country at the time. But my husband kept telling her to hang back. It wasn't until we got back to camp for the night that he told us why he was so concerned for her. I guess he said that a cougar was stocking us. Rosie and I didn't notice earlier when we passed by this foot bridge that were drag marks, blood and paw prints in the sand next to it. Darin said that he could hear it walking around above us. He didn't want to alarm us at the time. He took his side arm along on the trip and he had it with him on this particular day.

What good hiking areas do you have in your area of Washington?

I've only been to Crater lake once--just passing through, and it was hauntingly beautiful. The ranch, just beyond that, where the rancher is allowing Coyotes and Wolves (I believe) to exist along side his cattle, is very cool too. He says they only take a couple his his cattle a year, but that is all. Nature in balance...beautiful.

My husband and I have, for years visited your state's high desert--Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge.

In Washington, we have any number of mountains, where you can risk your life, several ranges across the state, and some desert in the center. Although you can't enjoy the desert, as it is controlled by the government, and radioactive.

If you get a chance, the Olympic Rainforest is amazing. Very primordial, coverings of moss over everything, it seems that you could turn a corner and meet a dinosaur. They are uplifted seabed, so high above the "people line", you will find seashells embedded in the rock. There are bear, but they have never bothered me, except for rummaging through the camp at night.

Olympic Rainforest