Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

hai

my kaya attacked a 8 weeks old white shepard pup today,first she was friendly,the little fellow came up with his tail very high starting to sniff at her and then all of a sudden she grabbed him,pup screeming but still standing with his tail high,then she got real mad and shaked him a bit.

i pulled her away,scared me and the owners of the little one.

is this normal behavior,or is she mean? maybe it is because the pup didn't show his belly and showed a real high tail or sniffed at her ,i don't know

and what to do with the next pup i meet wiht her,pul her away or try again?

The rest of the walk she was really good with other dogs,even the adult little ones

hai

my kaya attacked a 8 weeks old white shepard pup today,first she was friendly,the little fellow came up with his tail very high starting to sniff at her and then all of a sudden she grabbed him,pup screeming but still standing with his tail high,then she got real mad and shaked him a bit.

i pulled her away,scared me and the owners of the little one.

is this normal behavior,or is she mean? maybe it is because the pup didn't show his belly and showed a real high tail or sniffed at her ,i don't know

and what to do with the next pup i meet wiht her,pul her away or try again?

The rest of the walk she was really good with other dogs,even the adult little ones

Hi Gea

Remember, whatever you don't want her to do, YOU have the option of stopping it. Your rules are the rules! Grab that nose and squeeze til she gets the point! Once they get that "look" in their eye and if you watch enough, you will know what I mean! That is the moment to change that mood!

KK

Nice comeback KK.

They are so smart...they are like teenagers--very head strong. Kim talks about "Tough Love", and this is what he means.

Drop the hammer hard and fast. Your dog will understand and respect you for it. Also, like KK mentioned, get to know the "look". You will be able to stop her before she strikes.

Hello Alpha Girl! Dominant issues, here we go!

They turn out to be the most amazing. Just don't be scared, and remember, you outweigh her. You can just sit on her! ;) You will have to try, everything, but it will be worth it.

Mother dogs growl, and snarl, and bare their teeth! They don't actually have to hurt the pups, but it sounds like they are. Then there's pinching the nose, cuffing under the chin, there are other ways, too, that give them a knock, without hurting them. When one stops working, move to the next.

Good luck girl.... It's a good journey--you have to become the Alpha.

as i think of it,i pulled her at her choke-chain from the ground away from the pup.i now that isn't the wright way,but she maked so much noise,was afraid she would kill that poor pup.

had to proof so many times already i'm alfa, but i'm not halfway there i'm afraid.

she never trys my husband,he's a natural in her eyes i guess. she's very precauteous wiht him,always wainting for him to make the first move, but she trys me though,every day, sofar i won every day

so next time there is a pup,i leave her with the pup ? just very close so i can grab her or what.

i guess this is the look you all mean,she is 4 months here

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/mad...enstorm4mnd.jpg

That's pretty cute.

Is your dog spayed? Those dominant females only want their pups to make it, you know. Coyo is always nice to old dogs and pups, and usually the ladies....but those other males, look out. He is very competitive.

I had to roll him over a million times, but there finally came the day, when he lunged at a dog, and I turned on him, but before I even spoke, he was on his back, showing his belly. I thought that day would never come, but it did.

You will have to watch her around pups. Don't leave her unattended with one, until you are sure. Might be a while,..a couple years even. And don't be discouraged. I have often heard KK, Marie, and Cyndi talking about how the gals are the toughest--much tougher than the males.

You have to be tougher, and more stubborn. That doesn't have to be angry, or mean, all the time. There are a bunch of tricks for asserting your dominance that don't involve anger.

Here's a couple of good ones that you can practice everyday:

Don't look at her. The subordinates look at the Alpha, the Alpha doesn't watch the subordinates. When you are walking together, spend time looking straight ahead, making turns, without looking at her. (I wish I had known this one, when I started. I adore my dog, and he knows it!)

You go through the doorways first. Alphas go first. You know how they cross in front of you, and you have to step around them? They are asserting dominance there. Use the hip-check and knock them out of the doorway, or off the path. Have some fun with them.

Don't chase her. Alphas get chased, they don't do the chasing. Every now and then, pick up one of her toys and run with it. Around the table, whatever, it doesn't matter. But when she gets the toy, stop and walk away. Then when it's on the ground, pick it up and run again.

You see what I mean? It doesn't take long for these techniques to start working. In a few days, you will see her stop and let you walk through the door ahead of her. Then you'll have her.

Ask your husband to greet you first, dog second. That's a hard one, cause they always run to the door, but even then, if he stops petting the dog, when you enter, and makes the dog wait while he greets you, it will help to convince the dog, that you are the Alpha.

thanks for al the tips,i will try them,keep your fingers crossed

gea

Hi girls

Good info Allison. Lots of important things. I think the best thing you can do is "anticipate" your dog's action. If you are approaching that pup or another dog, watch your dog's "look". Is she giving a stare to the other dog? If there is any kind of "stare" start getting your dog's attention right then! A couple of small jerks of the leash, a pinch on the nose, anything to distract her from the "stare" which I KNOW she starts before she goes for another pup! That is the time to nip it in the bud!

KK

hello all

got it now,kaya picked another pup today,dominant little border colly 6 months,tail high ,here i am,and there she was too,bingo

she got respect for older dogs,big or smal,but the younger ones,have to go by here rules otherwise she pickes a fight. lots of noise but no injuries, just a couple of minuters and then its over.

didn't scare me this time,because the border was her age and hight,owners didn't mind either,they were happy that somebody finally put there pup back in place.

but i have to watch her closely now, know now what triggers her, now got to find a reply to that

gea

You got it.

hello all

got it now,kaya picked another pup today,dominant little border colly 6 months,tail high ,here i am,and there she was too,bingo

she got respect for older dogs,big or smal,but the younger ones,have to go by here rules otherwise she pickes a fight. lots of noise but no injuries, just a couple of minuters and then its over.

didn't scare me this time,because the border was her age and hight,owners didn't mind either,they were happy that somebody finally put there pup back in place.

but i have to watch her closely now, know now what triggers her, now got to find a reply to that

gea

happy happy

i was at purina dog show today with kaya,she played ofleash with about 20 dogs at ones and never heard one snarl of arf.

so think she is doing very good ,played all very peacefull and happy,time of her life today

gea

post-9-1150576660_thumb.jpg

happy happy

i was at purina dog show today with kaya,she played ofleash with about 20 dogs at ones and never heard one snarl of arf.

so think she is doing very good ,played all very peacefull and happy,time of her life today

gea

forgot the photo again

sorry

Good news, Gea. Maybe you nipped that behavior, before it got to be a habit. Keep a close eye on her, though. They can be very sneaky. :P

Good news, Gea. Maybe you nipped that behavior, before it got to be a habit. Keep a close eye on her, though. They can be very sneaky. :P

lol lol

i have a sneaky bitch then

looks a bit like me

lol lol

i have a sneaky bitch then

looks a bit like me

you do know what bitch stand for here,according to my daughter