Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Today Scout's papers arrived. He is legally SirScout, but Scout for short. I love seeing who all he came from. He has my Hawk's family genes running through him. I know there are a lot of similarities between Scout and my beloved Hawk.

Hope Scouts litter mates show up soon on the forum, would love to hear about his siblings.

• Like 1

For those who may not know about Hawk that I refer to, this is his picture on my page. He was just about the age Scout is now when we took it.

• Like 1

Will you post a photo of "Sir Scout".....or did I miss it somewhere?

love the name "Sir Scout."

Frankie & I got to have a play date with Scout and Lisa yesterday. He is fabulous and very handsome! For now, Frankie is faster - they had a few serious sprints around the park, but Scout is extraordinarily coordinated and fast for his age. I can see him catching up not far down the road:) Lisa, please post a picture - everyone will fall in love with him! Berta

SirScout in action.....

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4435-1.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to you also Berta and Frankie for a fun, fun visit. Frankie is a real beauty too. She definitely knows she is "queen bee". Love her grace and assurance of who she is.

Sir Scout is one handsome guy. Thanks for posting photos of him.

Thanks Molly. Monday he goes in for his "surgery". Maybe it will calm him down a bit, we can hope! Scout can be such a love bug and then such a stinker at the same time.

I'm sure he will calm down a bit...... A secret I realized while working with my 3 AID's is:

I found if I talk to them in a whisper my request will be heard.......they listen better and do far better. Have fun with him.

Molly, I have discovered the whispering thing, too, and Frankie is much more responsive as a result! It works especially well in the house or yard when she is barking and I whisper "that's enough, thanks" to her. She seems to get that she's done her job and now all is well. It does not work, however, in the car - I'm guessing she's so loud in that small space she can't hear me. Any ideas? Berta

Great question....Figure out what is making her bark...is it passing cars, passing trucks, traffic in general? I would take her to a busy street and let her watch the traffic go by and see if you can use your original command of "that's enough, thanks" (she knows what that means). Make sure you have eye contact with her when you do this. Then repeat and repeat and repeat until she gets it.

I think that they are trying to protect us from those big fast things that are flying by. Maybe their barking is to tell those big fast things "go away." or warn us of danger....... PLUS if the windows are down and if dogs could talk, (other than bark) they could tell us what that guy that just passed you had for lunch. I hope others chime in on this one. Let me know what happens.

Cars are funny. We had a dog that was just sooooo excited to go somewhere - anywhere in the car that it was a noise fest. I believe Greg posted about solving this problem with a penny jar on another car noise thread some years ago. We also had a dog that barked at Blue Trucks (!), cows and horses when we passed them and currently Cake had a 30 minute cry fest because she had to ride in a container vs her usual freedom in the back seat. Good luck in your process of elimination. May I suggest a bag of ear plugs in the glove compartment until you work it out?

• Like 1

Sherab, so glad you brought up the "penny jar." I forgot all about that one. As you hinted, each pup is different to what they react to and what is successful to quiet them. I think I'm going to get some ear plugs for "Two Step." He barks at the landing of a fly. Very sensitive ears. ha ha

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips - I think it's mostly people, as in someone riding their bicycle too close, or walking too close to the car, or even being too close behind in their own car. She has a fit at the gas station which is manageable when I get out of the car and come to where she is in the rear hatch and talk her down. I think I'll try the ear plug & penny jar combo and see how that goes:)

A SirScout update. He came through his operation yesterday with no problems. Just a very sleepy boy. Today he is back to his naturally silly self. Its hard to keep him from running and chasing the pesky squirrels. He weighs 45 lbs. and is still growing like a weed. He has lots of floppy fur to fill out yet. I think he's going to top 50-55lbs.