Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Doggy Day Care

I do hope some day to take Cassie with me, there just hasn't been a safe situation to try her out. Some jobs are dangerous even for people, requiring hard hats and constant vigilance. When she is older and better trained, I would like to bring her along. Afterall, they are working dogs...

it seems like if your digging in the dirt, an AID would be a natural...

it seems like if your digging in the dirt, an AID would be a natural...

Very true. I do understand, however, that when you are watching out for your dog's safety, your attention is divided, and you may be less focused on your own, or others.

I make Coyo stay inside when there is a crew and we are using chainsaws to trim trees. When he was young, he wanted to challange the chainsaw. Now that he's older, he just moves around, but I need to concentrate (even my small one is quite heavy), and don't want to find he's behind my heels as I step backwards with a chainsaw in my hands.

They don't call them accidents for nothing.

We love geology...we always take a regional geology book when we're traveling to see how the countryside came to look the way it does. And before we remodeled, we had Geology posters up, showing our local Geology---very weird, and cool.

I don't understand. Do you work for a company finding water, gold, oil? Are you a student?

We love geology...we always take a regional geology book when we're traveling to see how the countryside came to look the way it does. And before we remodeled, we had Geology posters up, showing our local Geology---very weird, and cool.

I don't understand. Do you work for a company finding water, gold, oil? Are you a student?

I currently work for a consulting firm, when people want to build something, or otherwise significantly alter the landscape, California often requires a geologist to make sure no harm will result. So we look for slope stability, faults, flood hazards, whatever nature might throw at someone. Actually I ended up here in Humboldt as a grad student, and just happened to find a job when I finished.

I was unable to access the forum while on vacation, not sure why but it was not quite the relaxing time I had envisioned. Cassie got her eye scratched by a cat, requiring a vet trip and eye drops (now that is a PAIN!), she tried to destroy anything she could get her mouth around at my folks house, and slipped out of the yard and nearly got herself run over as she ran down the street (I thought AID's didn't runoff??!!). So in light of all that, I am in no hurry to bring her along at work, even though she is quite good at digging...

I hate to make a bad show at the folks, house. Coyo was a little tough that first couple of times, but now my Dad really enjoys him. He used to say Coyo needed Prozac.

Glad Cassie survived the street. I know that can be harrowing. Yeah, they grow to stick to ya, but it takes a while. One time, someone else let Coyo rush out through the front door, and he took off. But he was kind of crazy, he kept looking back to make sure I was following him. He went to the local dog park, always staying just out of reach. I opened the gate when we got there, in he went, and then I snagged him and took him home.

It's a good experience if it ends happily, and then you won't let your guard down for about three years. By then, they're stuck to you.

As far as destroying things, sounds like she was really testing you. Don't forget that tough love. I remember my Dad saying, "Oh, let him bark"......but my Dad's hard of hearing! Also, I didn't want Coyo to bark incessantly like our neighbor's dogs do and we had really worked it out at home---so why was he going berserk there? Testing me. I think he even understood those subtle hierarchy threads. Fathers, daughters, etc.

Your job sounds fantastic! Let me know if you are planning a trip to Washington. We'll give you a tour, and have you consult on our property. We probably won't build there for a couple years, but we'd like to do an underground dwelling, and will probably need your type of expertise. The geology is very interesting--The Spokane Floods, etc. Our property is in the Blue Mountains. I think it's mostly rock. We'll find out when we attempt to drill for water.

• 5 weeks later...
I currently work for a consulting firm, when people want to build something, or otherwise significantly alter the landscape, California often requires a geologist to make sure no harm will result. So we look for slope stability, faults, flood hazards, whatever nature might throw at someone. Actually I ended up here in Humboldt as a grad student, and just happened to find a job when I finished.

I was unable to access the forum while on vacation, not sure why but it was not quite the relaxing time I had envisioned. Cassie got her eye scratched by a cat, requiring a vet trip and eye drops (now that is a PAIN!), she tried to destroy anything she could get her mouth around at my folks house, and slipped out of the yard and nearly got herself run over as she ran down the street (I thought AID's didn't runoff??!!). So in light of all that, I am in no hurry to bring her along at work, even though she is quite good at digging...

Who told you they don't run off???? All ours would have to do is see a cat or a squirrel or a deer and no matter how well trained they are, they would be gone!! Zi is probably the only one that wouldn't go!!

You don't work for Golder by any chance? I have a friend who works for them in Seattle but he has also done work in one their CA offices. Your description of your job just sounded familiar so I couldn't help but wonder.

Nope, I work for a small local firm in Eureka, CA. We probably do similar things as Golder but on a smaller scale. I feel lucky to have gotten a geology job here, it's so beautiful when it's not raining, foggy, or so windy that I lose my power (we just got wipped pretty good by the latest storm).

Who told you they don't run off???? All ours would have to do is see a cat or a squirrel or a deer and no matter how well trained they are, they would be gone!! Zi is probably the only one that wouldn't go!!

It is a tenuous control at best. It always seems like a miracle, when he "leaves it", but he does. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's heart pounds at each test. .

Both dogs would run off for another dog, and Freida definitely after a cat but both would come back....yes, if not struck by something, dog forbid. They are behind the fence or on the leash if anywhere near traffic. I go so far as to warn everyone who comes in the house not to let the dogs out when they come and go....we don't call Freida "the brown bullet" for nothing. I, myself, have cat-like reflexes, thanks to her.

Both dogs would run off for another dog, and Freida definitely after a cat but both would come back....yes, if not struck by something, dog forbid. They are behind the fence or on the leash if anywhere near traffic. I go so far as to warn everyone who comes in the house not to let the dogs out when they come and go....we don't call Freida "the brown bullet" for nothing. I, myself, have cat-like reflexes, thanks to her.

I thought I had heard or read that they tend to stick close to home or people. A misconception I guess...I am just paranoid about Cassie getting hit by a car. I have seen it happen and it is one of the most horrible things to witness.

When Cassie was a small puppy, I used to call her the little bullet. I guess that's a trait many of these dogs have!

dog forbid.

I like that. I'm going to have to start using that one.

I, myself, have cat-like reflexes, thanks to her.

I also warn people, although, as time has passed, Coyo is much more interested in who's coming into the house, than getting past the door. At the risk of sounding cliche, hang in there. Both your pups are young.

I like that. I'm going to have to start using that one.

I also warn people, although, as time has passed, Coyo is much more interested in who's coming into the house, than getting past the door. At the risk of sounding cliche, hang in there. Both your pups are young.

my kaya dont run off, she stayes put to me, however when there is another dog, she just has to go there, got wax in her ears then,and she still scares sometimes and then she is of like a bullit, just the other day we met a bullmastiff in the woods, that dog came up to her and she just flys off, totally in shock by the look of that dog (and it was an ugly fellow wow,scared me too LOL) no owner just that big black dog, so she runs of towards the trainrail, my heart really was pounding in my throught, that bull didnt care and just went the other way, luckely, so she stopped before the trainrail, but im sure if he had followed her she would have run over, so i keep her onleash when there are cars,trains, wathever, because she runs away from me when she is really scared, and just has to see other dogs even on the other end of the street, so no runaway but have to watch her

gea

got wax in her ears then,

I know that one!

Yep, dogs and motor vehicles.....always a problem. It is good to teach your dog the "STOP" command. It can save their life.

• 2 weeks later...
And the people working there always say what a sweet happy dog she is. Another testament to Kim's good breeding practices! I don't know if anyone else has tried daycare with the AI dogs, but it seems a good thing for high energy dogs (it leaves Cassie exhausted). It is an alternative to getting dog # 2, I might do that someday but for now, I like Cassie playing with friends I don't have to feed or clean up after!

True Blue is the very favorite dog of the people at his Doggie Day Care because he is so easy, friendly, playful and fun to be with. Blue lives to play. I take him because he really loves doggie company.

Stacey

True Blue is the very favorite dog of the people at his Doggie Day Care because he is so easy, friendly, playful and fun to be with. Blue lives to play. I take him because he really loves doggie company.

Stacey

Good to hear! Cassie loves doggie company too, she cries at just the site of another dog. That's the beauty of daycare, the dogs are so happy to play with each other so they don't get too anxious or bored.