Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Wyot Turns 9 Months!

My handsome boy, lean and soft, beautiful shiny fur that has thickened so nicely. He is a rascal, a cuddle bug, smart little bugger that knows a LOT, and is 85 % responsive to commands. The ONLY problem we have, is that he is insane in the back seat of the car, even strapped in so he is safe, he sits up in anticipation and is watchful of oncoming cars, and jumps towards the window, landing in the headrest (thank goodness this is soft, lol!...any suggestions on how to stop this or curb it would be helpful...)

He is 21 inches at the withers, and weighs about 44 lbs.

IMG_4589.JPG Here he is asleep at the base of the stairs.

IMG_4617.JPG I was a rascally boy, and I am sorry, mom.....

IMG_4621.JPG I am the King of the house!

IMG_4643.JPG Love the positions they fall asleep in...

.IMG_4535.JPG Playing with his toy

• Like 3

Sorry, don't know how to turn the pictures so they are straight! I guess this is an improvement over finally being able to download and post pics..LOL!!)

.....and he looks like he grew since a few days ago. I measured, and he is 23 at the withers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

(sorry, couldn't edit my original post anymore)

• Like 1

Zuni is antsy in the car when he is on the seat but he tucks in behind the front seat on the floor curls up and chills out--he leaves a wicked amount of hair on the carpet but he relaxes---he is 16 months now....

• Like 3

Could you post a photo of him in whatever kind of seatbelt harness you are using when he is in the car? I might be able to make an equipment recommendation if I can see his current set up. Does he lunge at the window for any particular reason i.e., a red car or a crow flying by or is it just random? Is it any particular window he's lunging at?

Darmok is secured in a harness (usually a Bergan Auto Harness and occasionally a wonder walker) which is then attached to the seatbelt. He sits in the front passenger seat (with air bag turned off).

BTW - your post made me curious to find out Darmok's weight. Today he is 44 pounds. I couldn't get an accurate height as he is just wiggly but it looked like 24 inches at the withers.

Edited by DarmokElizabethontheocean
  • Like 1

Zuni is antsy in the car when he is on the seat but he tucks in behind the front seat on the floor curls up and chills out--he leaves a wicked amount of hair on the carpet but he relaxes---he is 16 months now....

LOL, yes, the hair all over...I got a seat cover for the back of our sequoia, which fits the other car (a sedan) too. It's got velcro for the seat belt holes, and fastens behind the headrests, and can form a hammock, which obviuosly we don't do, as Wyot likes to put his head between us when he chills finally (I wonder: does he EVER get tired of lunging at cars????) but the seat cover is a great addition, as when we hike and his paws are muddy, etc., we don't have to worry.

Could you post a photo of him in whatever kind of seatbelt harness you are using when he is in the car? I might be able to make an equipment recommendation if I can see his current set up. Does he lunge at the window for any particular reason i.e., a red car or a crow flying by or is it just random? Is it any particular window he's lunging at?

Darmok is secured in a harness (usually a Bergan Auto Harness and occasionally a wonder walker) which is then attached to the seatbelt. He sits in the front passenger seat (with air bag turned off).

BTW - your post made me curious to find out Darmok's weight. Today he is 44 pounds. I couldn't get an accurate height as he is just wiggly but it looked like 24 inches at the withers.

I am using a harness that is similar to the one you mention, and the hooks go into his harness at two points, and then click in to the seat belt receptacle at two points. I make them as short as is comfortable, so he can lay down and sit. He lunges at EVERYTHING, particularly when we are on a two way country road, which where we live, is the ONLY road we have. Cars coming in the opposite direction are cause for him to want to lunge and run after them....the left back passenger window has lots of slobber prints from flying saliva (LOL!!!!) as he excitedly tries to "chase" oncoming cars. The sound of slapping against the back headrest (which, as I said is thankfully soft...or maybe it would help if it hurt for a moment, so he wouldn't do it again- they do have hard heads in m more ways than one, though, lol!!!) gets VERY annoying, as many cars travel along these roads because it is tourist season....when we are on a major highway, the cars on the other side are too far away for him to consider, so he chills....

I really need a solution for this "herding" instinct in the car.... :wacko:

I am using a harness that is similar to the one you mention, and the hooks go into his harness at two points, and then click in to the seat belt receptacle at two points. I make them as short as is comfortable, so he can lay down and sit. He lunges at EVERYTHING, particularly when we are on a two way country road, which where we live, is the ONLY road we have. Cars coming in the opposite direction are cause for him to want to lunge and run after them....the left back passenger window has lots of slobber prints from flying saliva (LOL!!!!) as he excitedly tries to "chase" oncoming cars. The sound of slapping against the back headrest (which, as I said is thankfully soft...or maybe it would help if it hurt for a moment, so he wouldn't do it again- they do have hard heads in m more ways than one, though, lol!!!) gets VERY annoying, as many cars travel along these roads because it is tourist season....when we are on a major highway, the cars on the other side are too far away for him to consider, so he chills....

I really need a solution for this "herding" instinct in the car.... :wacko:

Have you thought to shorten the harness on short car rides to just a sit position? Maybe if you can inhibit most of the motion and give a disapproving sound with it you could teach him that lunging in the car is not acceptable behavior. This would probably be difficult with just you, but if you had your husband drive and were able to monitor his behavior, you would then also be able to praise when Wyot sits calmly.

• Like 2

Have you thought to shorten the harness on short car rides to just a sit position? Maybe if you can inhibit most of the motion and give a disapproving sound with it you could teach him that lunging in the car is not acceptable behavior. This would probably be difficult with just you, but if you had your husband drive and were able to monitor his behavior, you would then also be able to praise when Wyot sits calmly.

Good idea...I do say good boy when he doesn't lunge, and watches a car go by, but that is only after I spray him (which he doesn't like) with water and say an emphatic NO...he'll stay for approximately 2 cars after that, and then he starts all over again.

This is not a training solution, but in the meantime until you can actively curb the behavior maybe consider covering the back window that faces the oncoming traffic with a towel or tape a piece of dark paper to it? The lunging behavior is obviously incredibly self reinforcing so the more he is allowed to do it the more engrained a behavior it will become and thus a more difficult habit to break. Covering the window for a while may help get him out of the habit of constantly being on high alert and potentially help him settle in for the ride a bit more easily.

It would also be a help to make it a regular thing to take him out for rides with an additional person so one can drive and one can focus on training. I would try encouraging him to lie down once he gets into the car before it even starts moving and reinforce his continued laying down with praise/treats etc. Perhaps try bringing a new bone or chew (bully stick? stuffed kong? whatever he finds exciting) along for him to work on to keep his attention in the car and not out the window.

• Like 4

This is not a training solution, but in the meantime until you can actively curb the behavior maybe consider covering the back window that faces the oncoming traffic with a towel or tape a piece of dark paper to it? The lunging behavior is obviously incredibly self reinforcing so the more he is allowed to do it the more engrained a behavior it will become and thus a more difficult habit to break. Covering the window for a while may help get him out of the habit of constantly being on high alert and potentially help him settle in for the ride a bit more easily.

It would also be a help to make it a regular thing to take him out for rides with an additional person so one can drive and one can focus on training. I would try encouraging him to lie down once he gets into the car before it even starts moving and reinforce his continued laying down with praise/treats etc. Perhaps try bringing a new bone or chew (bully stick? stuffed kong? whatever he finds exciting) along for him to work on to keep his attention in the car and not out the window.

Great ideas!!! Actually, the blacked out window behind the driver's side is something we talked about the other day...the only thing, is that he is on "watch" so to speak, and NOTHING I say makes him stand down from that stance- which is sitting up with a stare at the road ahead, watching for the cars in the distance, as they come closer....so I wonder what will happen when he can't see them in the side window, which is when he lunges...I will try a bully stick, which he loves at home. Thank you!

Keep the suggestions coming...they are much appreciated. :)

Would it be possible for you to put him in the front passenger seat and see what happens when he is up there? Does he appear to be doing that because he's having fun or because he's afraid? Blocking out the window might help but how much would that limit your visibility and could you get a ticket? I could give you the number of the credentialed dog trainer that has been working with Darmok. She may have some tools for you. I'm not sure what she would charge if anything for a phone consult.

• Like 2