Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Off Leash Adventure...and First Playdate!

As luck would have it, we had a perfect weekend, in the high 50's, sunshine, and most of the snow had melted. We decided to find a trail that not many (especially this time of year) tourists find to hike, and found a great path through the woods that led to a stream and a cool old foundation of a house (probably mid 1800's). Halfway down the trail, away from the parking area and the road, we let Wyot off his leash for the first time...I had the puppy-mom-hold your breath hope he listens syndrome!!! I needn't have worried-he was actually REALLY good.! :)Wyot was looking out for US, and waiting if we didn't catch up to him right away. It was wonderful to watch him run and explore without having the end of the leash keep him back. He figured out he could jump accross the little stream (he hasn't really warmed up to the idea of water yet, and walks around big puddles, lol! ) One crossing was a bit more than he could jump, but we went across, and sure enough, he didn't want to be left behind. :lol:

The next day, we drove up to our friends', and sat on their deck, which offers a beautiful view of the mountains. They have a 4 year old lab-pit (mostly lab) mix, and we let Wyot loose for the second time...I was a bit worried with the playing and all, that he would run out of the yard..but he rough and tumbled with Cooper, who was very patient with him, and let him pretty much do whatever, though there were a couple of times he let Wyot know it was HIS territory....he wouldn't slow down to drink water, because of course, he might miss something.!He and Cooper rested and sat in the sunshine for a bit, each with their own stick. Wyot watched and seemed to want to emulate Cooper (good thing Cooper has good manners, lol!). After another off leash walk in the park in the afternoon(Catskill park, where we have many beautiful trails in the woods) for about an hour, he was pooped!!!

Now, we'll see as time goes on how that works at home...we have a pretty busy road in front of the house, but since we got him, have only walked out back of the house, and above it, to where a big two acre field is. Hopefully he learns his boundaries that way. ;)

• Like 5

That is so excellent. I'm having to push Kooskie, but it's all fun.

• Like 1

That sounded like a GREAT adventure!!!!!

How old is Wyot again?

Tayamni's first off leash consisted of her running around following all the dogs on the path - not listening to me and THEN taking off into the woods smelling on game trails running around in the brush!

The people I was visiting had an adult AI Dog, K'eme, and he always listened to them so we thought she would follow him back out of the trails and NO he wouldn't listen because he was too busy having fun running around in the brush with her!

I kept calling her and could hear them so I used it like a game: "Tayamni where are you? I hear you! Tayamni can you see me? What'cha doing????? ...... Come find me, I need you!"

Neighbors that used to live in back of us had a Lab-Pit mix, very friendly good natured dog. They make really go mixes from what the neighbor said. I hadn't met one before.

She said they usually take on more Lab traits. It may be true if you had the same experience!

Glad Wyot had a good mentor as a host!

• Like 2
Wyot is 3 and a half months. :)

Tayamni was 4.5 months when she decided to go off tracking on her own during her first off-leash outing! :o

Maybe it is the bit of age difference OR>>>>

as her littermate brother, Nakoma, is a certified Search & Rescue Dog - it could be in the blood!!!!!! :D

For what ever reason he chose, I'm glad Wyot stayed in visual distance.

Makes a case for a few off-leash hikes (if there is a place for it) while the pups are younger before they get to into the independence stage.

• Like 1

Exactly what we were thinking, and that is why we will continue to find hiking trails where it is quieter, which they are during the winter months. A whistle brings him back to focus, and he really does NOT want to be left behind, lol!

We say "bird" when they caw or chirp, so he pays attention and learns. He takes his regal stance, one paw slightly up, and head also slightly up, intense look at the bird, then smelling the air. He tracks and finds the scent of a rabbit and deer...he is a riot when leaves blow in the wind and he chases them, then catches one in his mouth! Today, it hailed halfway through our small hike behind the house. He did not pull on his leash, almost as if he were off leash. He came and sat next to me when I asked him to as a car came by. We were quite a bit off the road, and it is not well traveled, but he listened, and got his treat for being good. He's getting it slowly, and I am impressed by him more and more every day. :)

Amazing to watch him grow...we weighed him (he seems to be at about 17-20 lbs already!!!!!) His markings are changing...a little silver (from his papa Jay silver heels no doubt) is showing up in between his ears and slightly in front. His back legs have some silver showing up as well, at the top, going towards his tail, where he still has a cute off white beige spot. :wub: He's also got a little sprout at the end of his tail, making it look like a paintbrush, lol!!! So cute....!

• Like 3