Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

After one week, we are all in happy puppy land with Zola. She is happy, playful, assertive, smart and affectionate. She fits right in. Our other dog Max wouldn't look at her for the first day and a half but they are becoming fast friends. He's half border Collie half Kelpie and has a ton of energy at 3 1/2 and has taken his time but now shows her around his yard and shares his bones, his food, his bed, his toys, how to wrestle and play tough and how to mostly come when he's called. I know he will be a good influence, and they already play really good together so all is well. Happy dogs=Happy house.zola1.jpgzola2.jpgzola3.jpgIMG_7007.JPG

• Like 10

Also we think Zola has adapted well to living inside but we play outside off and on all day long which she loves just as much.

IMG_7039.JPG

Life is good.

IMG_7067.JPG

Puppies are the best (my achilles tendon took a gash but mom bites back and I think I gained a bit of respect cause she is slightly less biting me. Tough love is hard when they are such cute monsters but it's necessary)

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

The Bone yard is way better now.

FullSizeRender (9).jpg

Yes we let our dogs on the couch. I also make their dinner every night, these are my kids, my pack, my family.

• Like 10

The only issue we have had was her getting super sick all night into the next day when we gave her worm meds. "Panacur". The vet thinks she was sick from a die off but it was so scary. She was shaking and trembling all night, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargic, it felt like our baby had ebola. I was close to taking her in on Thanksgiving but she started to revive and had a little raw milk and wagged her tail. She was fine by that afternoon. It scared me so bad, I don't want to give her the full 5 days in case it was a med reaction and might try the pyrantal instead to be safe. She's definitely healthy though, she eats like a champion, she has Origen kibble when she want's it, raw goat milk from a friend and I've been preparing her local ground lamb with different veggies (organic squash and sweet potatoes) and rice. She ate raspberries outside off the vine and enjoyed some blueberries with me and organic yogurt. She gained 2 pounds in 4 days! Our other dog Max has the same diet, he's nice and lean but muscular. He runs hard everyday, frisbee, ball, dog park, beach...We are active people and take our dogs with us everywhere so I want them to eat good food.

• Like 4

Chinatola's dog lili had a bad reaction to Panacur, although it was prescribed for something else. Maybe use the email function to touch base with him on that and compare notes. Let us know how she does. She looks super sweet.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 3

After discussing this issue with Kim, we understand that it is necessary to make the puppy instructions clearer. We will clarify the puppy instructions posted on the forum and in the written form provided with each puppy. In the meantime, here is Kim's response:

Quote Kim La Flamme

New puppy owners –

Even though I tell every new pup owner (either when they pickup their pup or on the phone when shipping) & give them a copy of our “puppy instructions” both in a hard copy & on the forum; it’s very important not to give them the heavy duty wormer … I’ve had good luck with Drontal that you normally give just once, not the Panacure that lots of Vets give up to 5 doses, that is VERY hard on them … probably harder on them than having the worms themselves. We will make this a little more obvious in our hard copy & on the forum from now on – Please remember to let your Vet know to use Drontal, not Panacure & only if they do have tapes … use Stronged-D for round worms - thanks -

Kim La Flamme ~ founder/trustee of the AIDog breed for over 45 years -- www.indiandogs.com

• Like 10

The vet suggested Panacur because it was a way to treat the Giardia and worms without having to use antibiotics. She said it was safe for puppies, I should have checked again. We only did the one dose because it was such a strong reaction even though they recommended 5 days then again 3 days in a month. I am going to retest her stool and if that one dose didn't work to kill the roundworms I will wait an appropriate time and use the recommended Stronged-D. She is very healthy, she has incredible energy and vitality, she's putting on weight and I'll be very careful with her so she has a nice long healthy life. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 2

Have used Drontal and Stronged-T? on the pups. Vets down here feel it is gentle for pups.

Tayamni had Giardia as a pup. My Vet used the mildest antibiotic possible for it. She had developed a bad case of Giardia. She has a sensitive stomach but eats like a horse.

I like what you are feeding them and wish I could eat berries off the vine where I live! (Although if we had them, I'm sure Tayamni would eat them first)

• Like 1

worms in puppies, any breed, is not unusual.

Tayamni was negative for worms but had the Giardia. I think Coffey was negative in his fecals also & NO Giardia. We had done the puppy worming schedule recommended with the Strongid-T.

They have been checked as older puppies and adults (gotten health certs for travel) and all good. I don't know if it's worth preventive worming every couple of years .... oh wait I think the heartworm pills do that now!

When Tayamni had loose stools even as a puppy, our Vet recommended some canned Pumpkin (not the pie mix) or sweet potatoes in with her food. Rice may help firm up also.

Zola is EXTREMELY CUTE and her happiness really shows - she is expressive!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I thought we had a problem with the Panacur puppy wormer making Zola sick; we did only the one day and then waited a week. She started throwing up worms on her own so I knew she probably was sick from worms not the meds as the vet said. We opted to take her to the vet and have them watch her for a couple hours to administer the Panacur; no problems, no reactions so we continued the treatment at home for the next 5 days. She has thrown up and pooped out so many round worms that soba noodles are almost ruined for me and I really like noodles.

We did the full 5 days and they are still coming out. She has thrown up another belly full since we stopped worming. I pick up all the feces from our yard (she has/had giardia too so I'm being extra careful). Zola is a mud eater so I'm guessing she ate feces contaminated mud while in the muddy puppy yard enough to get a bad case of worms. I've talked to Xochitl's mom on Instagram and she did not have the same issue. Zola has good energy and a great diet and seems otherwise healthy, she weighs almost 13 pounds, had her second round of shots yesterday and is doing pretty good. We are struggling a bit with her peeing in the house like she's marking "her" territory so I am taking away couch rights and trying to give her better boundaries. I mean, she goes outside then comes in and 5 minutes later (with the door open so she can go out), she pees on a rug or the floor right in front of me sometimes. She is very head strong and defiant and I have my job cut out for me obviously. :huh:

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that Panacur is a safe puppy wormer.

• Like 2

Glad to heart pup is doing well. The good thing about heart worm and oral flee/tick meds is that these also prevent worms, except for tape worms. If your pup eats small critters that might have fleas from your yard watch for tape worms. Otherwise should be no more noodle poop :)

• Like 3

Oh my, poor Zola! Glad she is better now. She is SO cute!!! My Wyot is a headstrong little guy too, albeit a quick learner. Kim is right, it is a good thing they are so cute!!!!!

He's had some accidents, but most have been my fault, learning his cues...he is crate trained, and the only door he goes to is the kitchen sliders to go out. There is a bell, which he rings (on a string) when he wants to go, and then he whines to bring attention to it when I don't come right away. I also gated off the living room, but he has plenty of area to play and be with us in the kitchen/mudroom area, making it easier to control and train him for the moment.

We've had over a foot of snow, and more coming (Mountains of NY), but it does not seem to bother him. He loves shoveling with his snout, and it makes me laugh when he comes up with a white bulbous nose as a result....he chases snowballs or bits of snow as they get kicked up...the only problem is poop- the snow is so deep, he tries hard to lift his hind legs not to touch the snow, and then I try to direct him AWAY from the pile, so he doesn't sink into it by accident with his little behind, or a paw, lol!

Wyot's stubborness lies in his teething everything he's not supposed to, even though he has a ton of things that are appropriate, AND delicious. He is a curious one, and will flatten himself to get under things all the time..it is a RIOT. So far so good, no worms. Good solid poop. I feed him Taste of the Wild, make my own biscuits for his treats, and there is too much snow to dig for anything, though he is not one to chew dirt or rocks- he likes the stray dry leaf or two, which he plays with, then discards. He is 8 and a half weeks now. Had him for almost two weeks (Saturday marks two exactly)!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, yes, that strong will...!!!! Then, the cute face...the paw on the foot, and burying of that cute face, saying "I'm sorry.." and then, it begins all over again, lol!!!! :wub::blink::lol:

• Like 3