Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

It's been a crazy year with lots of changes, blessings and issues.

My sister and I had a great trip, being at ceremony (while dogs vaca'd in Dallas), and I think the dogs are ready to do it all again next week!

I had 637 pictures from the trip so I've brought it down to a somewhat manageable amount. I will post separate replies so not all pics at once. Also posted in to some separate threads .... wow!

Guess I miss that I can't get out to the Gathering and SDK yet. So here's what we do :)

I hope I will be able to post and write more this year with you all so I don't bombard all at once.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mom takes care of the cats, and the dogs take the trip with us now. Coffey doesn't know what he is about to embark on:

1. Waiting for first trip.jpg 2. Coffey in Mom's backyard_compress.jpg 3. Tayamni at Mom's.jpg 4. Coffey keeping yard safe_compress.jpg

Cats on vaca at Mom's: 5. Coffey's feline family(1).jpg 6. Coffey's feline family (2).jpg 7. Coffey's feline family(3) - Gidget in hiding.jpg

(Gidget a diluted Calico in hiding - she did that most of the time. She is really shy when not at. She ate dry food and water and hung out on the screen porch at nights.

Coffey loves this little cat the most.

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 2

Traveling to: first leg of trip .... it takes day to get out of Florida - going west through the panhandle form South Florida:

Pit Stop before going to visit Chepi in Pensacola: 14. Pit Stop in Florida Panhandle (1).jpg 15. Pit Stop in Florida Panhandle (2).jpg

Hotel the first night in Alabama on way to Oklahoma: Tayamni is a hotel pro now 16. Hotel Pro.jpg

Coffey the hotel novice - he was a little leary of elevators but handled it with ease! 17. Coffey the Hotel Novice.jpg

a Mississippi trail that we found again from last year. We stumbled on the opposite side first and then recognized where we were! Great place to stretch the legs! 18. hiking time in Missippi (1).jpg 19. hiking time in Missippi (2).jpg 20.  Coffey meeting horses.jpg 21. hiking time in Missippi (4).jpg 22. hiking time in Missippi (5).jpg 23. hiking time in Missippi (6)_cprssd.jpg 24. hiking time in Missippi (7)_cprssd.jpg 25. hiking time in Missippi (8)_cmprssd.jpg 26. hiking time in Missippi (9).jpg 27. turtles seen on hike (10).jpg 28. hiking time in Missippi (11).jpg

Coffey turned ONE Year old in Native Territory in Oklahoma! 29. Coffeys Birthday.jpg 30. Sunrise in Oklahoma.jpg

• Like 3

Temporary break: Here's a photo I got of Coffey and his little pal (Gidget) today: IMG_20160710_164205.jpg

(she does exist )

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

Cherokee Trading Post in Oklahoma:

31. Cherokee Tradng Post (1).jpg 32. Cherokee Tradng Post (2)_cmprssd.jpg

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

Cherokee Trading Post (cont'd), got moccasin's and had eggs and Buffalo for breakfast!

33. Cherokee Tradng Post (5)_cmprsd.jpg 34. Cherokee Tradng Post (3)_cmprsd.jpg 35. Cherokee Tradng Post (4)_cmprsd.jpg 36. Cherokee Tradng Post (7)_cmprsd.jpg 37. Cherokee Tradng Post (9)_cmprsd.jpg

Mural of Indian Dogs AND American Indian Dogs! 38. Cherokee Tradng Post (14).jpg 39. Cherokee Tradng Post (15)_cmprsd.jpg 40. Cherokee Tradng Post (16)_cmprsd.jpg

41. Cherokee Tradng Post (17)_cmprsd.jpg

They need dogs with this horse: 42. Cherokee Tradng Post (18)_cmprsd.jpg

Seeing the Buffalo: 43. Cherokee Tradng Post (19).jpg

OK - the REAL Buffalo: 44. Cherokee Tradng Post (23).jpg 45. Cherokee Tradng Post (6)_cmprsd.jpg 46. Cherokee Tradng Post (20).jpg 47. Cherokee Tradng Post (24)_cmprsd.jpg 48. Cherokee Tradng Post (22)_cmprsd.jpg 49. Cherokee Tradng Post (21).jpg

• Like 2

Visiting our Elder in Oklahoma before going on to meet the dogs' relatives in Texas!

50. visiting an Elder and friend.jpg 51. playtime.jpg52. settling down (Coffey) (2).jpg 53. settling down (Tayamni).jpg 54. pooped out.jpg 55.  On the way to Dallas, Texas.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, making up for all the updates I didn't give during the year:

After we picked the dogs up from Denise & Nick's were meandered on home.

We were going to hike at Dinosaur Valley but the foot prints were still under water from the previous floods a couple weeks back, So we drove to Fossil Rim abd found out they don't allow dogs in the park ......

But just before the entrance .... MORE Buffalo!!!!!!!!

First they were far away 103. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (1).jpg

Then one got closer and even looked us over B)

104. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (2).jpg 105. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (3).jpg 106. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (4).jpg 107. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (5).jpg 108. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (6).jpg 109. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (7).jpg 110. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (8).jpg111. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (9).jpg 112. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (10).jpg 113. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (11).jpg 114. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (12).jpg 115. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (13).jpg 116. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (14).jpg 117. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (15).jpg

Happy tired pups:

in the car 118. Buffalo near fossil rim, TX (16).jpg

loving the motels! 119. Austin, TX motel (1).jpg 120. Austin, TX motel (2).jpg 121. Austin, TX motel (3).jpg

Oldest Oak tree in Houston! 122. Houston, TX (1).jpg

• Like 2

Dog friendly restaurants ... this one BBQ where the oldest Oak Tree is .....

123. Houston, TX (2).jpg 124. Houston, TX (3).jpg 125. Houston, TX (4).jpg 126. Houston, TX (5).jpg

Coffey is ready to go! (pit stop in San Jaquinto, Texas: 127. San Jancinto, TX (1).jpg 128. San Jancinto, TX (2).jpg 129. San Jancinto, TX (3).jpg 130. San Jancinto, TX (4).jpg

and on the Lynchburg ferry

(first time dogs were on the water NOT in the water!) 131. Lynchburg Ferry, TX (1).jpg 132. Lynchburg Ferry, TX (2).jpg 133. Lynchburg Ferry, TX (3).jpg 134. Lynchburg Ferry, TX (4).jpg

walking on the back roads in Louisiana .... gotta get our exercise 135. Lafayette, LA (1).jpg

136. Lafayette, LA (2).jpg 137. Lafayette, LA (3).jpg 138. Lafayette, LA (4).jpg 139. Lafayette, LA (5).jpg

Back in Florida! 140. Pennsacola, FL (1).jpg 141. Pennsacola, FL (2).jpg

Almost home!!!! Let's go! 142. Ocala, FL.jpg

Yeah!!!!! that was fun!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy days and happy dogs. Nice to see all these traveling dogs.

• Like 1

They LOVE it and I love traveling with them!

Someday I hope to make it out to SDK and the gathering too.

I wasn't sure how they would react when we drove onto the ferry.

They knew something was different and took it in stride - catching all the different smells :)

no whining or nervousness :D

of course they had walked over a bouncing bridge on our way out to Texas. They took that in stride too!

what great versatile dogs!!!!!! :wub:

• Like 1

WOW! Such amazing pictures, thank you for sharing! My favorites are definitely of the ones with Tayamni and Coffey in front of the murals! That is absolutely brilliant!!!! Did anybody there recognize just how special your pups are?! It looks like you all had a very nice trip! :wub:

• Like 1
WOW! Such amazing pictures, thank you for sharing! My favorites are definitely of the ones with Tayamni and Coffey in front of the murals! That is absolutely brilliant!!!! Did anybody there recognize just how special your pups are?! It looks like you all had a very nice trip! :wub:

One of my elder's lives past there in Oklahoma. Last year there was a part Cherokee man and his grandchildren and when I told him what the dogs are he got excited and was explaining to them.

It was nice.

No one was around to chat with this time at the trading post when the dogs were out walking.

We had a great trip!

It is my annual 'praycation' going to Sun Dance and I visit elders and friends on the way back. (Reason why I can't get to the gathering until financial gets much better and I can get more time off of work).

My dogs weren't at ceremony - but one of the Lakota chiefs this year spoke about how the dogs go way back and were important and are part of the family and that's why the horse is named after the dog.

Sunka (dog) and Sunka Wakan (holy / big dog).

We have a wall of pictures in the community kitchen for family events during the year, comings, goings, milestones, celebrations ..... and Coffey's puppy pic was a coming and Tayamni was on the board for graduating as a Certified Therapy Dog.

I don't know if that prompted the Chief's words or not. It's the first time I've heard a chief bring up the important and relationship with dogs around ceremony other than the other ceremony which neither of my dogs will be a part of ..... whew!

• Like 3

that all sounds absolutely wonderful, Denise! And your praycation sounds like it is touching, heartwarming, and a blast, all at the same time! And it must have been surreal to see your dogs be shown/recognized. How awesome!

• Like 1