Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

They look so innocent....and then....and then.....and then BANG! All of a sudden they look into your eyes with great wisdom. :wub:

• Like 5
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after a long long journey we are finally home and settling in. As I type this little Chep is sleeping in her crate after a long day of snuggles, piddles, naps and playing.     It was really

Bonus, a cute photo my husband took today

just wanted to post a few recent photos of chepi and kind of respond to your question finally.   Chepi has has grown so much, though she is still a baby. She is 1yr 5 months at this point and 29lbs

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Things have been really busy here and she has been a handful. We have good days and bad days but I am slowly learning her needs and likes. First here are some pictures of her from when she was at 12 weeks since its been a minute for updates. I'm trying to make this pretty consistent so people can see how different pups grow, etc.

Sidenote, I wanted to point out that she has one rear dew claw. I am happy that the vet I have been going to is on the same level with me and said we won't remove it unless it becomes a problem. I honestly love it because it just makes her extra quirky. :)

chepi 12 weeks.jpgIMG_1076.jpgIMG_1078.jpgIMG_1125.jpgIMG_1130.jpg

She is now at 14 weeks (tomorrow) and has only one more vet appointment before she is ready to go on walks like a big dog and can play and socialize. I'll be honest this dog LOVES meeting other dogs, people, animals, especially though she loves children. She lights up and just prepares for fun.

chepi.jpgIMG_1420.jpgIMG_1453.jpgIMG_1470.jpgIMG_1494.jpgIMG_1510.jpgIMG_1535.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1732.jpg

I was getting a little frustrated with he kennel training for a while there. Nothing I did seemed to entice her to want to be in a kennel without us being there with her (sleeping at night). We tried with a blanket over, without. Feeding her inside, giving her treats and attention when she was in. I tried moving it to the living room and that worked ok but the also meant I would have to move the crate back and forth through the day. Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I bought her the big crate with dividers. That also was a problem for her. I had to take the divider out or she would be so fussy. I tried a big crate, a small crate... If she's in a small crate (just big enough to lay down, turn around), I can get her to walk in there but she is miserable. Whining, crying, barking...

She will wet her bedding every time.

So then Janessa suggested I get another crate, one for the living room. I went to the store with the intention of buying just that but on a whim I bought this play pen instead.

IMG_1419.jpg

This is with three of the panels folded in the back to make it small enough for my living room. (please forgive the ugly wall paint hahaha) Along with the crate training issues she was peeing in odd places outside and being especially mouthy... I'm sure she was unhappy with her living arrangements and trying to tell me something. Ever since I put out the play pen and gone at it pretty hard with using treats to reward she has become a different pup. She walks right into her playpen to sleep willingly, keeps her toys in there and won't even budge when I close it up behind her. She goes in around 12 - 1 every day, which works out great because thats when we have to go to work. She still protests when we actually go out the door now and then but I think she really takes comfort in a couple things with the playpen vs the crate. This pen is set up right next to the door of the house, so she is the first thing we see. I don't let her out right when I get home, but I give her a little pet and settle in then let her out to potty. I think it is small enough for her to feel safe, but big enough that she doesn't feel like the walls are closing in. Also I think she likes the top being open, she definitely gets hot easily and while the sheet over it is nice for naps I know she gets fussy if the room is warm.

I am just really happy to have found something that she loves, because I was scared for a while she wasn't going to ever like a crate.

Edited by Felix
  • Like 5

She is so beautiful! Thanks for all the pictures and the honest write up! I wish all puppies were perfect and easy to hone but they are not. We too have had issues with the mouthing with my daughter. He plays with her like a littermate. I know that is a dominance thing. We are training both the pup and my daughter (Riley) to work it out. She will be stronger in the long run and the boy is also responding well too. Side note Riddick is doing awesome with fireworks. My old AI would hide in the tub. How was Chepi with fireworks?

• Like 2

This is such helpful and insightful information! It is great to read, so we will take into account personality and the tips that you all post to help us when we finally get out pup.

The pictures of Chepi are simply beautiful, as are all the AI dogs/pups I've ever seen. We are indeed lucky to have fallen into this family and circle of amazing animals.

Such eyes! You simply fall in love with that face! :wub:

• Like 2
How was Chepi with fireworks?
She was pretty great I thought. A little bit of barking but honestly she is a barker. Once I called her over and sat down calm with her she got the idea that is wasn't anything bad.

The mouthing that really bothers me is that when you lay down to snuggle with her, she will go open mouthed on your face... It has been less and less so I am really hoping that ends soon. All play or snuggles ends when she does that of course.
  • Like 1
This is such helpful and insightful information! It is great to read, so we will take into account personality and the tips that you all post to help us when we finally get out pup.

The pictures of Chepi are simply beautiful, as are all the AI dogs/pups I've ever seen. We are indeed lucky to have fallen into this family and circle of amazing animals.

Such eyes! You simply fall in love with that face! :wub:

At first I thought I may be posting too much, but then I remembered how it was before I got my pup and all the topics I read through to find out more information and get an idea of the process. She has a super sweet face for sure, but she is a trouble maker hahaha.

• Like 5

I hope we get such great pics of our pup when we get him/her! She is just gorgeous and I can see the imp in those eyes!

• Like 1

Wow! She is getting big! Great photos and thanks for journaling trials and progress.

I know it helped me to read about other owners before me.

I like the ingenuity with the crate / play pen. It takes creativity with the tough love and training with these dogs.

I can't believe how different Tayamni and Coffey were to train. And also have heard the difference between Boone and Houston (and those two are brother and sister from different litters!)

It keeps us on our toes and it does seem to be something about these special dogs we are all drawn to. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Wow! She is getting big! Great photos and thanks for journaling trials and progress. I know it helped me to read about other owners before me. I like the ingenuity with the crate / play pen. It takes creativity with the tough love and training with these dogs. I can't believe how different Tayamni and Coffey were to train. And also have heard the difference between Boone and Houston (and those two are brother and sister from different litters!) It keeps us on our toes and it does seem to be something about these special dogs we are all drawn to. :rolleyes:

She is quick to pick up on tricks, but only quick to listen to them if she knows I have a treat for her.

She knows sit, lay down, sit up, stand up, jump up, ("up" just means be higher than where you are to her, just like down.) Spin, stop.

I'm working on touch, drop, and stay.

He mouthiness is rally a problem for us to I'm having to do some intense training in the arena. Thankfully it does seem to be helping slowly.

I took her in the yard today and practiced some off leash running. She did surprisingly well with not nipping my feet and remaining close by. I would randomly stop her, treat. Sit, treat. "ch ch" and if I got eye contact, treat. She is very smart but also the biggest drama queen. We were playing tug today with the swing rope on the tree. She like to be pulled and i guess I pulled a bit too hard and she let go and fell over. Oh my goodness you would have thought I was stabbing her the noises she made. I went over to comfort her and she acted like I was kidnapping her... once I sat down criss cross she crawled in my lap and whimpered some more. Wow, she is such a little drama queen.

One thing I am struggling with is getting her to listen around other animals. That means my cats, other dogs, etc.

Edited by Felix
  • Like 2

puppy focus kicks in!

Kelli & I did a lot of redirecting the nipping and little bites. Tayamni redirected faster than Coffey. Also, Tayamni I couldn't play tug with when she was a pup - it made her think I was a peer instead of alpha. Coffey had no problem with that. He understood, we won the tug and we were alpha.

Keep enjoying all the different puppy quirks. Time goes by so fast and they grow up and there's new tests and challenges and a whole lot of fun but there's also the missing the wonders of the puppy stage .... except the ruining of the furniture .... AHHHHHH!!!!

• Like 1
puppy focus kicks in! Kelli & I did a lot of redirecting the nipping and little bites. Tayamni redirected faster than Coffey. Also, Tayamni I couldn't play tug with when she was a pup - it made her think I was a peer instead of alpha. Coffey had no problem with that. He understood, we won the tug and we were alpha. Keep enjoying all the different puppy quirks. Time goes by so fast and they grow up and there's new tests and challenges and a whole lot of fun but there's also the missing the wonders of the puppy stage .... except the ruining of the furniture .... AHHHHHH!!!!

One of her saving graces is that she would rather chew cardboard than furniture, and she would rather chew her toy while using my shoe as a balance to chew hahaha. She hasn't gotten the taste for shoes yet but she does like to pull and bite at her puppy bed. I got her a new one today thats super big and plush and soft... she sunk right into it.

Today was her first walk. It was awesome! I was really impressed with how well she listened to me when other dogs were barking. I only had to tug the leash and "ch ch". She listened to me! What a great day. only couple little low grumbly barks when there were a lot of dogs around and with one tug and a "ch ch" there was silence.

She's going to need a lot more time to train her out of pulling the leash though. She gets so damn excited there isn't much I can do. When we started the walk i would stop, tap her butt with my foot until she calmed down, then I would walk forward. For some reason thought it didn't seem to help when she got going again. We went on a pretty long walk (I brought water and we took breaks) so about halfway through the pulling slowed down. When I would speed up to a jog there was no pulling at all, she let me in front and ran at my side/slightly behind me. All in all this is really one of my many reasons for getting the breed is that I am a runner and I wanted to have someone with me when my husband can't be.

Just for scrapbook purposes (hahah) she is at 16.6 lbs right now.
13615365_1251029364930623_5422521292822287852_n.jpg13645211_1251029341597292_8204223944866345324_n.jpg13680542_1251029314930628_4319275292632455412_n.jpg13626532_1251068904926669_1011259316159805507_n.jpg13620944_1251029378263955_572205985604692912_n.jpg
  • Like 5

That third one, with the two of you and the star, that is pretty cute.

And yes, it is shocking to see how quickly he has grown.

What fun! She is getting so big. Was that the last round of shots?

Yes, finally! They told me I can bring her in to be weighed and such once a month to see what size she is for her flea medication.

I am curious to see how big she gets. I can still hold her with one arm for now but I feel like that window is closing with a quickness. hahaha.

I have been wanting to take her on walks since day one but I know I couldn't. So happy that is finally behind us and the fun begins!

Edited by Felix
  • Like 1

I can still hold her with one arm for now but I feel like that window is closing with a quickness.

Nothing has hit this home to me more than watching Little Chepi.

• Like 1

My husband and I have read many of your postings as you were on the list for a time. We are so glad that you have received your pup. I am in love with her, so pretty. Glad all is well on your journey home.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share some of our family photos from his year. Every year my stepdaughter comes up I have photos taken, and this time it was actually Chepi's first trip to the beach! She's grown a lot since these photos but I thought you guys might enjoy them. :wub:

She was approximately 13-14 weeks in these photos

Minor-1.jpg

Minor-4.jpg

Minor-7.jpg

Minor-8.jpg

Minor-9.jpg

Minor-17.jpg

Minor-34.jpg

Minor-36.jpg

Minor-37.jpg

Minor-68.jpg

• Like 4

Those are GREAT! Thanks for sharing with us!

• Like 1

Oh, I loved those. Family portrait...very nice.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought I might post an update on my little fairy here. She is such a handful. I do love her very much but there are days that really can be stressful. She is truly very excitable, more so than I really thought this breed to be. I am a little dissapointed not in her, she is a babe, but in my vet for how they do not handle this properly. Every Friday I drop her off to play with other puppies at my vet. There is a trainer there who gives me a report on how she's doing and it allows me to work a little longer that day. For some reason when the staff initially greets her they do not wait for her to calm down before validating her. Twice they have gotten her so excited she peed herself. This has only ever happened when she is at the vet. It is frustrating because I do like the vet and they are very good at everything else they do. I will definitely voice myself about this next time I bring her because I feel like they are making my training much more difficult.

We we are also having a difficult time with her interactions with the cats. She is getting a lot better about listening to me for her to stop, but she will go right back to it as though I'm not even here. I'm a little unsure what a good or a bad interaction is. I know cats and dogs play but sometimes she doesn't realize how rough she is with the cats. I definitely don't let her chase the cats but is it ok to let them roughhouse? Only one of the cats likes to play with her. I have read different things. Some say let them work it out among themselves, others say to show your dominance and stop it yourself. I have tried the submission hold and it doesn't really work... She knows she's in trouble for a moment, then will go back to whatever she was doing. Mostly I give her an alternative. If she stalking a cat I say, "chepi, no" "get a toy" that works about 70% of the time.

Dont get me wrong she is an absolute treasure, I am just wondering if I will be able to train her to be my service animal. A lot of it I am sure has to do with her being young, and there has been slow progress. I just need to do some sensitivity training with her because she is also very vocal when someone approaches me while she is on the leash. I spoke to a trainer who said it was likely her being protective over me, but I need a way to let her know that she is safe with me. I had tried treats at first sight but she wants nothing to do with them when this happens. She hyper focuses.

For reference she is about 5 months old now. Currently snuggling me

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Felix
  • Like 1