Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi All!

Been very busy down here in South Florida. "Coffey" came along sooner than expected when my sister's service dog was passing of an aggressive brain tumor.

Coffey's registered name is Janjira and he lives up to his names Janjira & Coffey = high test!!!

He was born on June 8, 2015 so is now Eight months, two weeks and 2 days ago. I am posting a montage of pictures to from young pup to date because his coat has changed patterns so many times I can't keep up - sometimes there is a drastic change every day.

He has developed zigzag lightning pattern on each side of his face. VERY COOL!!!! His back got silver-ish for a while but that has gone away some. More changes to come I'm sure. He has also gone from wide face to narrow and back a bit, so looked like his Dad initially then more like his Mom and then, well who knows - we'll see :) ...

He came to us much smaller than Tayamni (Azteca x Jay, fall 2014) she was a beast (only because bigger than I expected) at 9 weeks and just over 9 lbs. He arrived at 8 weeks, tiny sooooo cute and almost 6 lbs! such a difference! Of course he made up for the little size by being full of dynamite and then LOVING to snuggle - such extremes - LOL!

Tayamni is a thinker but not afraid she just analyzes first and Coffey just goes at it and thinks it out on the fly. He is a bit more of a handful to train. We are working diligently on it and it is taking a litter longer for him to 'get it' but he will. It will just take LOOOOONNNNGGGGEERRRRRR for him to pass his CGC and register him as an ESA for Kelli.

He definitely knows when she needs a "HUG" and will go over and lay on her feet. That was not trained, he just knows.

Because of his 'go for it' attitude, he has always run like a BIG DOG and he hit a pot hole one day then got rolled by a pitbull that was running the opposite direction, not to hurt him just past him and at almost 5 months injured his left shoulder. (In fact, as typing this he ran through the living room and into the table leg I am typing on then kept on going.)

His shoulder never clicked and the Vet said to just watch it. He has never had pain but the cartilige stretched between the should blade and leg. So we did limited exercise, and warm compresses and then water therapy - I held his vest so he swam in place at the swim park! He learned to kick me with his back legs. He has full range of motion and LOVES digging holes on my sandy back yard! In some pictures you may notice his left should bone sticks out a little more.

We wouldn't trade him for anything (either of our pups). I don't think we could have done anything to keep the accident from happening, but I have a REALLY good example of why Kim cautions about these pups being 'double jointed' when young and supervising excercise.

Oh, Tayamni is an alarm dog and only used to bark to tell me something was amiss. Coffey - thinks the world is his oyster to bark at. Slowly he is learning some boundries. Such a difference in training methods for these two!

So without further ado, here's Coffey! 'like the drink, only not spelled the same.'

_20150804_093610 at SDK.jpg_compressed.jpg1. IMG_20150808_235118 picked up.jpg3. IMG_20150809_030352 Coffey 6 lbs.jpg4. IMG_20141114_235505 Tayamni 9 lbs.jpg5. IMG_20150811_071732.jpg6. IMG_20150811_071833.jpg7. IMG_20150809_014555.jpg8. IMG_20150811_072326.jpg9. IMG_20150811_072548.jpg10. IMG_20150811_072702.jpg11. IMG_20150811_073950_cutey.jpg12. IMG_20150812_083529.jpg13. IMG_20150815_084549.jpg14. IMG_20150816_205054.jpg15. IMG_20150823_084640.jpg15.1 IMG_20150826_202404.jpg16. IMG_20150907_100943.jpg17. IMG_20150907_101109.jpg18. IMG_20150912_164325.jpg19. IMG_20150913_081041.jpg20. IMG_20150926_160954.jpg20.1 2015 water therapy for shoulder.jpg21. IMG_20151115_093918.jpg21.1 2015-nov party with Thor.jpg21.2 IMG_20151003_135701.jpg23. IMG_20160109_143607.jpg24. IMG_20160123_124828.jpg_compressed.jpg25. IMG_20160223_074504 Lightning right.jpg26. IMG_20160223_074508 Lighnting left.jpg27. IMG_20160223_073948.jpg28. IMG_20160224_070918_edit.jpg

21.3 IMG_20151003_135911.jpg

22. IMG_20160109_122037.jpg

• Like 1

Wow he's good looking. I see what you mean about the changes. Not sure I'd have picked out that he's the same dog if the pictures were not all together.

Cake injured her elbow beating on Waki early on and we would wrap it with tape, it would get better and then she'd re-injure it. Finally she knocked it good and sprained it. The vet recommended cold laser I think we did 2 - 2- 2 for 3 weeks and that was that. Took her hiking after the 3rd week. Been fixed and stayed fixed.

Heh, heh heh I am just imagining Boon, Houston, Coffee and Tayamni. You and Nick will be outnumbered - assuming Kelli and Denise go to ceremony. What will they find when they get back.... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just a quick clarification, it's impossible to register a dog as an Emotional Support Animal (ESA).

What is an emotional support animal?

An emotional support animal is a pet that provides disability-relieving emotional support to an individual, but is not necessarily trained to do so. Unlike with service dogs, service dog laws do not allow emotional support animals (ESAs) to go out in public to places dogs are normally prohibited. ESA owners do have certain legal rights in housing situations and when flying.

Emotional support animals can be important residential companions for people with disabilities ESAs can mitigate. Some may even have the temperament to undergo the training needed to work as a psychiatric service dog.

However, Psychiatric Service Dog Partners is focused on service dogs and those dogs being trained to work as service dogs. These are trained both for public access and to do work or tasks to mitigate psychiatric disabilities.

To find out more about emotional support animals and how they are covered under United States laws, see: http://www.animallaw.info/articles/qvusemotionalsupportFAQ.htm

[From: http://www.psychdogpartners.org/resources/frequently-asked-questions/laws]

Now that that's out of the way, congratulations! He's a gorgeous pup!

He looks so classy when he lays down, especially when he crosses his legs; reminds me of fancy English gentlemen xD

Have a great day!

• Like 2
... Heh, heh heh I am just imagining Boon, Houston, Coffee and Tayamni. You and Nick will be outnumbered - assuming Kelli and Denise go to ceremony. What will they find when they get back.... :ph34r:

:rolleyes: Hopefully Denise & Nick's house still intact! B)

Just a quick clarification, it's impossible to register a dog as an Emotional Support Animal (ESA). .....

Respirate -

Thanks for pointing out my error. I am having my infusions this week and messed up in the narrative.

What I should have written was:

" .... when my sister's ESA dog was passing of an aggressive brain tumor. .... "

Then later in the narrative, "(LONGER) for him (meaning Coffey) to pass his CGC and register him as a Service dog for Kelli."

Yes, Kelli does need a service dog as well as an ESA. Thanks for helping me clarify. ;)

PS - Kelli said Coffey crosses paws like an indigenous Canadian not an English gentleman - LOL! :)

As long as you're aware that there is no way to register a service dog either! Any 'registry' on the internet is a scam and hurts actual service dog teams by making business think that they can require a 'certification'.

Some FAQs

Oh, my bad xD I see it now. Either way, he's gonna be a looker when he's fully grown (or rather, ​more​ of a looker)

Coffey was an adoraboe puppy and he has turned out to be a really handsome "big dog"! We can't to meet him in a few months. In picture #28 he looks a lot like Boone! The four dogs are going to have a blast together!

Boone sits like that? I wonder if we'll be calling Coffey 'mini me'. You guys will need a vacation, a rest home OR it could just be REALLY GREAT!!!!! (Coffey will be a bit older and hopefully a little more mature - heh, heh, heh :P (We are continuing training ... )

I can't wait to see how they all get together and who becomes 'besties' with who while visiting.

Thank you guys so much for helping out like this and it's AMAZING how we became good friends and have so much in common ..... did it begin because of the littermates????????? :wub: OK - Kim probably does - LOL!

Tayamni has never torn up her dragon and she sleeps with it on my bed. I have even seen her lay her head on it sometimes. I know she will remember Boone.

Coffey loves to play with everyone, so even though he is not of same parents, he's a boy - so will it be the two boys or the two younger vs the two older in play? Maybe they'll all just take turns?

You will have your own pack for a bit! WOW!!!!!

He so so beautiful ans boy the changes Mooka did the digging thing to that is how he got his name mooka in ojibwe means dig up and boy did he do alot of that when he waa young

hi oocatah!

I learned something today, Pilamayaye for letting me know what mooka means!

Right now, since my backyard is beach sand (but just not on the beach. I guess it was cheap backyard fill); it is soft and increases his shoulder muscles - so we don't yell or scold, just every day keep filling back in the holes!

It sound like Mooka has grown out of it some? So there is hope for Coffey (or us)? :rolleyes:

Ahhh, Insomnia ...... it's awesome for catching up on the forum!

Kelli was house sitting for a friend last week and I took care of Tayamni and Coffey.

Came home one day after work and found that Coffey had made his own 'Man Cave'

Can't believe he did this and it's looks so neat - really smart guy!

(Ignore the pillow on top - if he could fix that than he would be opening and closing his crate door on his own .... )

IMG_20160223_173317_Coffey made cave!.jpg

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

like the man cave.....very clever of Coffee. Is he from the litter of the "blackberry" pups? Interesting if he is. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Miz Molly,

No, he's from summer this year, but I think you did comment about Nozie's instinctual and primitive "pup dug out", so she has instilled this house keeping also!

I just couldn't believe it looked like a professional tuck job and no one was home to do it! Usually the sheet is only covering the sides of the crate, not the front door.

If only we could train him to make our beds - LOL! :D

• Like 1

Very handsome boy! And from the way he tilts his head, I think he knows it :) . The color changes are amazing. Ayita's coloring has never changed.

• Like 1

Coffey says THANKS for all the compliments. His mommy read them all to him. He got to see pictures too.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Went to the St. Pawtrick's day Festival again this year. Coffey's first time at a festival.

He still isn't fully leash trained, but settled down after about 15 minutes.

He was very attentive watching the working K-9 exhibition and didn't flinch when they were firing blanks.

Then ..... we went by the "lure" course AND OMD :huh:

It was a temp fenced in area and they BOTH couldn't wait to get in!!!!!!!!!!!

Coffey fell in love with that! :wub: He loves the chase :wub:

IMG_20160306_141521_edit.jpg IMG_20160306_141537_edit.jpg IMG_20160306_141544_edit.jpg

He also has a very strong grip and grabbed the "lure" (looks like a small shredded plastic bag) and didn't let go until Kelli went and got him!)

IMG_20160306_141548_edit.jpg

It's fun to watch Tayamni and Coffey do the lure course and also herd sheep. They each have very different techniques on each.

Someday would like to see them in together - once they learn a little more :ph34r:

At the dog park they do work together (if you can call barking at opposite ends of another dog working together - LOL! :lol:

However, none of the dogs they are trying to herd pay attention at all :P

• Like 3

Bass Pro / Outdoor World was having a 'Dog Days' event so we went and got some pictures taken of the pups.

Getting Coffey used to crowds while being on leash - and at night he was at first like a Marlin being caught on a fishing show - he was jumping up and spinning :blink:

We went back the next day and he was a different dog - so different we sat him and asked him to STAY and he got his picture taken by himself when other dogs and people were maybe 30 feet away!

Coffey web.jpg

Kelli & Coffey web.jpg

(Tayamni: "HEY! This photo makes me look fat!") Tayamni & Coffey 03-11-16 web.jpg

• Like 2

I agree. Great pics. Love the tongue hanging out.

• Like 2

I agree. Great pics. Love the tongue hanging out.

That's a "Coffey" trait. He had his mouth wide open in the pic Kim sent from SDK and then,

:ph34r: he developed his signature move 'the Gene Simmons look with a "BLAH!!!!!!!!" ' :ph34r:

B) OR - maybe some of our ancestors showed it to him! haka performance.jpg

AH HAAAA!!! Hmmmmmm :P

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 2

I think Sitka would love lure coursing. We have a neighbor who has done this before, and I'm trying to talk her into dusting off the equipment and trying again.

Love the pics!

• Like 1
I think Sitka would love lure coursing. We have a neighbor who has done this before, and I'm trying to talk her into dusting off the equipment and trying again. Love the pics!

WOW! you know someone that has a lure course machine! :wub: Yes! I'm sure most AI Dogs would love the chase and stalk.

It is neat learning which type of instincts our dogs have as far as herding.

and I go back to Kim's indiandogs.com pages to look at the history and it really matches up for both dogs ancestries B)

• 3 months later...

Updates on Coffey's color changes as he grows - up to a year......

His colors are still changing since these pics ... this guy is a little is sujch a chamelion and FINALLY starting to mature!!!!

2016-04-20 showing the black gray coloring coming in.jpg 2016-05-09 still has the zig zag lightning.jpg 2016-05-09 tan still hangs in there.jpg 2016-05-10 more black hairs on back this week.jpg 2016-05-21 less black on back (two weeks later)_cmprsd .jpg 2016-05-21 rear getting more grayy-white.jpg 2016-06-06 really looking balck & gray TODAY.jpg 2016-06-08 At 1 YR old.jpg 2016-07-02 kept racoon eyes.jpg 2016-07-02 more Tan on face again.jpg 2016-07-02 tongue stayed same color - LOL!.jpg a distant relative - maybe - lookalike.jpg

• Like 2

Very hansome dogs you go there. Thanks for posting the color changes. His colors are very simular to Riddick (his father was Jay as well) so it is great to see how his will shift too. Riddick was 15 lb at 8 weeks. He is going to be a big boy.

• Like 2

Very hansome dogs you go there. Thanks for posting the color changes. His colors are very simular to Riddick (his father was Jay as well) so it is great to see how his will shift too. Riddick was 15 lb at 8 weeks. He is going to be a big boy.

My girl is from Jay. Coffey's Dad is Tonto. His Mom is Nosie and he is small and has a lot of her coloring.

They do have a common ancestor (Jay I believe - haven't looked at Pedigree's since got them. I remember Coffey has a little plains / common AI dog in him).

Tayamni was 10 lbs at 10 weeks and Coffey was only 6.5 lbs or so at 10 weeks. He was such a small little guy but with a big personality - still the same!

Coffey is 34.6 at 13 months. Tayamni was 43 lbs after a year and at 22 months is now 51.4 lbs. She exercises a lot but does not self regulate eating. LOL! Coffey does self regulate and I worry he doesn't eat enough sometimes but he is in good shape and exercise gives him appetite.

IMG_20160707_182420.jpg Here is Coffey in his 'Cooling' vest. He doesn't like to get in the pool to cool off like the other dogs do.

IMG_20160707_182506.jpg The vest does stay wet and cool for hours, it works well!