Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi everyone. Our Nika has been shedding quite a bit in the last few days. I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this shedding this time of year. Nika is about 8 months now. This is the first time she has shed this much. I was looking up shedding in general and it says most dogs shed in the spring and fall. Thanks.

James what part of the country are you in? Spring in Texas starts in Feb with the red buds. Up in Michigan we might not see spring until May. My experiences with shedding have been variable, depending on the part of the country and the severity or lack of severity of the winter. In General German Shepherds shed once, 365 days a year. In Texas our dogs shed but they didn't produce undercoat the way they have in Michigan and especially for cold winters. Waki didn't shed his first year but last year he made the equivalent of 1 Tribble https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5e/0d/a8/5e0da89df25efad8cf30d272936ca792.jpg

, mostly from his hind quarters in the spring. This year we had a very warm start to winter and he started to loose tufts from his bottom area. Then we had a proper cold snap and he stopped shedding. Waki turned 4 (really!?) in December.

Cake Dolly had very little undercoat her puppy year. She gave a respectable shed in the spring last year. She is 2.

On the other hand they both lose hairs consistently. If I wash a blanket I will have a little blond cake mat in the dryer lint. If I go out in dark pants I have blond cake hair. If I go out in light clothes I have little Waki hair. It's easy to tell Cake hair from Waki hair from Shiva (our GSD) wool. Shiva wool looks like this: http://pdxpipeline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/trouble-with-tribbles.jpeg

As long as you aren't seeing bald patches and redness of the skin or any weepiness you are probably ok. If your gut tells you it's odd, check with your vet.

PS we have on hand a number of shed rakes. We have what we call the "defurinator" that we use on the GSDs and we have some more toothy, less aggressive rakes. It is good to rake your dog out in spring but take care not to use too much pressure or over do it on the skin. We and our vet are actually kind of proud that at nearly 13 Shiva can still "blow coat" which he is currently doing and really has been doing continuously since about 2008 (when we moved to Michigan).

We don't have this exact rake but something very like it and yes Cake Dolly and Waki "blew coat" in a very very minor, entertaining way (like 2 tufts - thumb sized- from Cake and One Tribble from Waki vs Shiva: http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/blowing-coat.html ). So compared to this you can see why it appears to some of us that AIDs "don't shed".

• Like 2

Tayamni (Azteca x Jay 2014) has a very short coat and minimal feathering, last December, (just over a year old) she shed for about 2 weeks and that was it. So I used the brush on her then.

I get very minimal hairs on blankets or clothes from her so I was actually shocked when I petted her and hair was flying into the air since that is not a usual occurrence! It really freaked me out for a minute!!!!!!

I'm always wearing my cats! I've got one we can make kittens each week with his hair turnover.

Coffey (Nose x Tonto 2015) on the other had has longer hair and it has a different texture, coarser? he isn't a year yet and had a shedding period just after Tayamni. Part of it may have been puppy hair transitioning and the other part is now in South Florida we are just getting some cooler weather (temp drops of 20 - 30 + degrees in an afternoon).

Tayamni only needs to be toweled / wiped most of the year except the small shedding season and Coffey needs to be brushed good once a week all year long and more for a few weeks of his shedding season. Will find out if he has one or two times a year as he grows.

It's funny - we thought Coffey would have the thicker coat like Tonto but it is not like that - it could have to do with the hot weather down here - or maybe he just has a thinner coat. He has changed color patterns so much since we got him I can't take enough pictures to keep up with his changes. Someday I will make a post of it.

Jason J.,

does your pup come up with different patterning or hair texture after this shedding period????

Sherab, absolutely LOVE the tribbles references!!!! :lol:

Coffey's shed (he's only 28 lbs) was like a miniature "blowing coat", yes it came out in more or less LITTLE bitty clumps.

He doesn't have much undercoat but that is what shed. He would only have a couple little Dixie cup sized tribbles.

• Like 1

Sitka BLOWS his coat twice a year-- Spring, and Fall. He has a short undercoat and an outer coat that is longer.

Don't be alarmed. He is telling you that Spring is on the way.

My other AIDog did not do this. He shed his coat constantly. He had a short coat with no undercoat.

I want a Tribble....

• Like 3

Mooka seems to shed with the seasons up her in canada,not much of an under coat and has med length coat,alls i know is i walk around with cat and dog fur on me all the time.small price to pay for all my 4 legged babies

• Like 3
Sitka BLOWS his coat twice a year-- Spring, and Fall. He has a short undercoat and an outer coat that is longer. Don't be alarmed. He is telling you that Spring is on the way. My other AIDog did not do this. He shed his coat constantly. He had a short coat with no undercoat. I want a Tribble....

Hey these AI Dogs are better than Punxsutawney Phil!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Yes, Kaposia (10 months) has begun to shed like crazy. We've had an unusually warm winter here in Illinois, sadly. I love winter and lots of snow. Kaposia seems to be of the same mind. When Kaposia experienced her first snow, it was magical to watch. She loves the freedom of running and playing in the fenced yard, but when it snowed, she DANCED!!! I've never seen anything so graceful, beautiful, joyful, and actually spiritual. It made me wonder what music of the universe she was responding to. Time to move North....more snow, less shedding!

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...