Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Puppy Going To New Zealand

Maddie 9 weeks.jpg Hello everyone. Let me introduce Madison (Maddie). Maddie is from the Feather X Jay Silver Heels litter born on May 28, 2015.

The Simoni family flew in from New Zealand to visit Song Dog Kennels and look at the available puppies. They viewed several puppies and, with Kim's assistance, they selected Maddie who will eventually be heading to her new home in New Zealand. Due to the New Zealand import laws, a puppy born in the United States must be at least nine months old before it can enter into the country. This created an opportunity for me to help out the Simoni family, Maddie and Song Dog Kennels. I will be taking care of Maddie during this waiting period, ensuring all of the veterinary requirements are met, required paperwork is complete and accurate, training is done and most importantly, provide a home for her in which she can grow and learn.

I will be posting updates of Maddie here on the forum so those who want to follow along can do so. I will also be posting lots of pictures so everyone can watch as she grows up.

Maddie came home with me when she was nine weeks old.Maddie at SDK.jpg

I introduced her to her new pack members, Anoki and Blue Bird who immediately accepted Maddie and welcomed her to the pack. Maddie, Bluebird and Anoki.jpg

Anoki was extremely gentle with Maddie allowing her to climb on him to gain confidence in herself. Anoki and Maddie.jpgAnoki and Maddie  2.jpg

Blue seemed to step right into a motherly roll and allowed playing and jumping to a certain extent but would let Maddie know what the boundaries were. Bluebird and Maddie.jpg

Maddie is being trained as an indoor puppy.Maddie 9 weeks 2.jpg

I am crate training Maddie, putting her on my schedule and holding her to the schedule. Maddie soon learned that her whining and whimpering does not get her out of the crate. She quickly learned to settle into her crate and that she would soon be let out to play again.Maddie 9 weeks sleep.jpg The crate remains in the living area during the day where everyone is and at bed time, I move the crate into the bedroom beside my bed. In the bedroom she always has my scent there in case she wakes up which helps her remain calm.

Maddie had her first comprehensive exam with the Vet at nine weeks of age and received her first series of shots. She also weighed in at 12.2 pounds and had a microchip implanted which will record all of the Vet visits and vaccinations. Of course the staff and others in the waiting room were all asking questions about her; so it was just another opportunity to explain what the American Indian Dog is. Maddie definitely loved the attention.

When Maddie was 10 weeks old, I brought home a friend for her.Anoki, Maddie and pup.jpg

The last puppy of the summer litters was not able to go to her new home in Portland until she was 12 weeks old. Kim and I agreed it would be a good idea to allow the puppy to come home with Maddie and me.Maddie, Bluebird and pup.jpg

This gave Maddie a friend her own size to play with while providing a little early training for the Portland bound puppy. Maddie had a blast with the puppy and the two became good friends.Feeding time.jpg

Stay tuned as there will be much more to come.

• Like 7

This is awesome! :D Where in NZ is the puppy going? I have an exchange sister and family living there, so I'd bet if they have the chance, they'd love to meet up!

This is awesome! :D Where in NZ is the puppy going? I have an exchange sister and family living there, so I'd bet if they have the chance, they'd love to meet up!

I believe she will be going to the area of Oneroa in New Zealand.

• Like 1

14 weeks.JPG At 13 weeks, Maddie had her second comprehensive examination at the Vet. She weighed in at 16.1 pounds and received her second series of vaccinations.

Maddie and Bluebird.JPG Trio.JPG Maddie has been with me now for four weeks. She loves Anoki and Blue Bird. She has slept through the night since day one with the exception of one 1:00 a.m. whine to let me know she needed to go out. There is no whining when it is time to go to bed and she just walks into the crate on her own. There have been ZERO accidents in the house since she has been here. Maddie is not telling me that she needs to go out yet, but she does wait for me to take her out. I will soon be implementing bells hanging from the door knob and teaching her to nudge the bells when she does want to go out.

We have been working on the sit, down, stay and come commands. Maddie understands and executes the sit, down and come commands with enthusiasm. It's the stay command she struggles with, but hey, she is only three months old. Maddie watches and participates when I work with Anoki. At times, while giving Anoki a command, it is like a race between the two to see who can lay down the fastest. It almost appears as if they are both in competition with each other. It is good for Anoki and Maddie both.Training time.JPG Training time 2.JPG

I started implementing a "place" command to get her to go to her pillow when she gets a little excited. This is her "time out" spot and she is really understanding the purpose of her place. When I bring her inside, I have her sit outside the door before I let her in. When I open the door, she will run to her "place" and wait for me. So far this has worked well for both of us.

We are still waiting for her final series of shots so we can get out in public. She does get to Song Dog Kennels when I go, so she does get some puppy playtime. She travels well and willingly enters the kennel so she can go for her ride. Soon, she will be able to go out and visit with Ayita and others. In the mean time, Maddie enjoys exploring around the backyard and watching our chickens and the wild turkeys we have in the yard. Wall.JPG Chicken watching.JPG

More to come.JPG Maddie's next Vet visit is this week. We will provide another update after that, so stay tuned.

• Like 4

Oh, I like that command "place". I think I will try that one.

• Like 1

Now that's what I call having everything under control. Congrats Greg. She is going to be hard to give up to New Zealand huh? Hey are there any other American Indian Dogs in New Zealand?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Oh, I like that command "place". I think I will try that one.

In training classes, Tayamni worked on this in adult classes (over 6 mos).

I LIKE that Greg is creating "place" early.

We are working it in to Coffey's early training - but need to do it more consistently - that's on me ... it just makes sense to teach this early - it has many good uses - especially with more 'exuberant' pups.

I use "go find your place." That gives them the choice as to where they want to be. They pretty much settle at my feet or someplace close by on the floor. Their beds are always available to them, but I guess they like the closeness to where I am.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Maddie 13 weeks.jpg Wow, where did the time go? It has been several weeks and four vet visits since the last update on Maddie, who is now 21 weeks old.

For those who are interested, Maddie weighed 18.2 pounds at 15 weeks, 19.2 pounds at 16 weeks, 21.7 pounds at 18 weeks and 24.7 pounds at 21 weeks.

Training is coming along nicely. Maddie is very good at the sit, down and leave it commands. She is working on the stay and the come commands. Maddie no longer sleeps in her kennel during the day, although it is available to her if she wants it. She does sleep in her kennel during the night and still happily walks into her kennel when it is bed time.Long day 18 weeks old.jpg

A few weeks ago, the Vet finally authorized Maddie to venture out and about to visit with other dogs and people. We have ventured out to the local dog park and to Petco a few times already. Maddie is very outgoing and loves people and other dogs. She really knows how to turn on the charm and draw the attention of anyone close enough to notice her. And when the camera comes out, she knows that it is picture time and she will usually stop to allow a photo session to take place.

Maddie and Sita 20 weeks.jpg

Maddie has a new best friend in Sita Flower who has come to stay with us for the next several months. The two of them have been almost inseparable. Sita is well mannered with a lot of energy to match Maddie.

And Maddie really enjoys her pack.Maddie, Sita, Anoki.jpgL-R Sita, Blue, Maddie, Anoki.jpg

Maddie has out grown the kennel when we go for rides in the truck. She initially had the entire backseat to herself while still being secured by a leash for safety reasons. Now she shares the backseat with Anoki or Sita when we go out.

Maddie has finally completed all the required immunizations and additional blood tests required to ship to New Zealand. Finally she can rest a bit before she goes in for her next visit, the spay, which will be around the 1st of December. She is a real trooper when she is at the vet. Vet 21 weeks.jpgVet down 21 weeks.jpgVet Table 21 weeks.jpg

We will return soon with additional pictures and another update on how Maddie is coming along.

• Like 2

Greetings everyone, from Nepal.

Community members Greg and Rik stepped up big time with offers to take care of Sita for me while I am travelling...I'm so grateful to both of them. It was and is so amazing to ask for help here on this forum on the internet, and have two great people who I had never met be willing to help me so hugely. Wow!

Greg you are a great doggie uncle, for sure. Maddie is growing into such a beautiful dog, and I'm so very happy that Sita has a best friend within your lovely pack (and that she is being well mannered! lol). It is great to see pictures of them all here. Thank you so much.

• Like 3

Sri, have a great time in Nepal and we're looking forward to photos and stories upon your return. :)

• Like 3

Wow. This is really cool.

• Like 1