Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Advice Welcome!

Sorry this is so long. Looking for solicited and unsolicited advice!

Our pup should be heading our way today! We are super excited!!!! I would like a little advice for those who have brought an AI pup into a home with an AI adult. Let me tell you what my instincts tell me to do and then you can tell me how way off I am:)

Chester will be 3 in November. He is an awesome dog. Very social and very friendly. He likes all dogs and never instigates aggression. He will bark and stand his ground if a dog gets snippy with him or if a new dog who is not too balanced gets near our kids. What I have observed in him is a keen instinct around small children. When we have had babies or toddlers in the house, he is very attentive and calm. I also observed him chastise a puppy at the dog park for biting every new dog that entered the park. It was amazing. The pup would jump up and bite the ears or neck of every new dog that came in. Chester started by barking at him, then he would get in between the pup and the new dog when a new dog entered the park and bark. Then I saw him corner the puppy as he went for a new dog and made him sit in the corner for awhile. It seriously looked like he was giving him a time out, the puppy didn't look afraid and Chester didn't look aggressive. Just matter of fact. Pretty cute.

I do think he is a little more high strung when there is a dog in our house than he is at the park or on a walk. He will play and such, but he doesn't seem to completely relax. It is like he can't get out of Watch Dog mode, but this was always with adult dogs, never a puppy.

My gut says to treat the puppy introduction like an introduction to a human baby. Carry the pup in and let Chester smell it while I am holding it. Wait until Chester seems to be in his normal state with the puppy in my arms and then just put the pup down to explore just like we would a toddler. My guess is Chester will instinctively know it is a baby and react like he does to human babies which is to keep an eye on it and put up with things he wouldn't normally put up with from a bigger creature ? Suggestions ?

Secondly: How do you handle sleeping arrangements. I crate train, so I will want the puppy in a crate at night. Chester sleeps in his crate, but he can sleep out of it on the floor too. Do I encourage them sleep together in a crate? if so, do I use Chesters or the new one? Do I put the pup in a crate and let Chester be out but in the same room? Do I put them both in separate crates in the same room? Do I separate the crates (this is a little harder as I will need pup in my room to hear when he needs to go out and Chester is already there).

Finally, I forgot to ask Kim about this. Do I have to be concerned about keeping the pup away from Chester's feces because of Parvo or only strange dogs?

Thanks so much for reading this long winded post and offering any suggestions your experience may allow!!!!

my $.02 Do Not Crate Them Together. Too close quarters can lead to resentment. Let them each have alone time. Allow Chester to sleep where he wants- in/out of crate. And to save space, you can stack crates. Pup on top, easier to reach in to carry outside so they don't pee on the floor on the way. ;)

• Like 2

Ooh. Good advice.

not sure if this will work for you but it did for me i had a gsd(german sheppard dog) who hated all dogs,and had to be the top dog ,but when i brought mooka home we left him in the create for about 5-10 min and let shadow (gsd) sniff it and when he was done we open the create and mooka came out like a freight train and the both sniffed each other and then shadow just took over as the father and all was good and i just let them all sleep together so to me no one got jelous of the other

• Like 2