Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Summer Safety Tips For Our Pups...and The List Goes On

The other day, we were in my car driving to the hardware store......I drive a mustang convertible with electric windows. Rain likes to hang out the window so far that I got a harness for her so I wouldn't loose her. However that day, I had the windows up part way so she couldn't do her typical "hang out the window pose." BUT she could stand on the arm rest, and thus stood on the window toggle switch and up went the window. Fortunately being of quick body and mind she felt the window going up and jumped away thus jumped off the switch and the window stopped going up.

Lesson learned: Always turn on the "child lock" on your windows so if you happen to leave your pup in the car for just a few minutes, the pup can't move the window up or down....... and just hope he / she doesn't try to play with the controls on the drivers side.

• Like 3

Good one, Molly.

This is why I don't let my kids stand on the arm rests.. also too high a center of gravity- much more chance of falling and injuring themselves in the event of sudden change of direction or braking. "feet on the seat" rule in the car. :)

• Like 1

BC Jackie, I merged your post with the summer safety tips thread that was already started. Hope you don't mind, just keeping things tidy and easy to find.

Good post.

That reminds me, in our neck of the woods, we are expecting temps to 110f this weekend, with 5-7 days of 100+.

Stay cool.

I keep the lock switch on as default. Kelli's Doxieterrier, Roger, is notorious for stepping on the controls.

He also used to sit in the driver seat of Mom's car (while left in parked car when cool enough). He regularly used to turn on the hazard lights, put his paws on the steering wheel and honk the horn!

• Like 2

I keep the lock switch on as default. Kelli's Doxieterrier, Roger, is notorious for stepping on the controls.

He also used to sit in the driver seat of Mom's car (while left in parked car when cool enough). He regularly used to turn on the hazard lights, put his paws on the steering wheel and honk the horn!

:lol:

Very hot here. 105f today. Still in the nineties. We had a dust storm blow through that brought us down 4* very suddenly.

Strange weird weather.

Aside from the heat, over here in northern California with the mild winters we've had an increased number of rattlesnake sightings. They aren't just out in the trails, but around houses as well. So be aware for those suckers. Luckily, no bites at the clinic this year for us so far. It's good to know which, if any local vets carry the anti-venom if you think your dog might be at risk for a snake bite.

• Like 1

Oh, thanks. I am in rattlesnake country, but usually don't worry until August when they come down to the water.

You are absolutely right. There has been less water, and they will be closer to the rivers.

It is pretty surprising and unnerving that we are hearing about snakes in very popular recreation areas. Because of sightings near my work where Zephyr spends a lot of time, I elected to get him the rattlesnake vaccine this year. Another good option is to find a trainer who specializes in rattlesnake aversion training.

Good check list Allison.

We had some people do that rattlesnake aversion training. They had fun and were pleased with the results.

• Like 1

My friends Demetre and Elaine did the training with their AIdog. Saved them all from getting into trouble as "Kanashi" warned them way ahead of time of a rattle snake that lay in waiting just off the side of the trail.

• Like 1

That was good. It's about heat stroke.

• "DON’T panic. Every second counts, so stay calm and work to help your dog."