Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Any Tips For A Long Ride Home With A Puppy?

Hi everyone,

Looks like we will be getting our first AIdog soon (June 21st) - YAY!

I am driving up from Los Angeles and would love to hear any advice you might have for the long (10 hours) drive home. I will be by myself unfortunately. I plan on making several stops on the way home for potty breaks and to stretch legs. I guess I am most worried about that stressful time being our first extended time together.

Any thought?

Many thanks in advance,

David and family

I took a ten hour road trip with my first pup. Just he and I, I did not crate him, and we were inseparable forever.

The hardest part is finding a clean place for him to pee. Have to watch out for Parvo, so you need to find the place less traveled if you know what I mean.

Might take a crate, just in case he is extra wiggly, but he may need to see/ feel your fingers to remain calm.

I am sure others will weigh in on their experiences.

My first pup was probably 2 weeks older than yours will be.

• Like 1

If you can, keep the pup close as he / she will bond with your touch and smell. I brought Rain (my third AIdog) part way home in a crate. Got to my friends house, let her out, she knew immediately who she needed to be with and she hasn't left my side since. She bonded without me knowing........ When we got home, she slept in a small cat crate on my bed so that I could stick a finger in for her to lick and smell. It kept her calm and quiet and close. That was during potty training...once she made that graduation, she never went back into a crate again. Two Step (AIdog# 2) slept on my lap all the way home and has never left my side since. Tolinka (AIdog #1 when I didn't know what in the earth I was doing) was in a create and fought it like a mad dog. Got home and he hasn't been in a create since. My pups are very much like me, they do not like to be confined............ooops, broke rule #2.....All three sleep on my bed. :wub: My bad. :wub:Watch and listen to the pup and let the pup teach you, and you will learn their way. ;) Brilliant magnificent animals!

• Like 3

Chewy sticks are a must!!! That gong-something toy that stashes peanut butter in the middle is nice for the whining when you can't pullover for a few more minutes. We also used tuperware(sp?) with lids for food and water...ice cubes in the water help the heat too! Since you most likely are traveling I-5, be sure to do as stated above at the rest stops and find 'other' places for her to get out. We like fast food back grass areas the best. It is smart to leave her leash on while driving if you are not crating...never know when a slip or fall to the driving feet can happen. Also, even though it may be hot, the pup isn't used to a/c, so in her 'bed' put an unclean t-shirt of yours to help with the bonding. Elena kept trying to crawl inside our shirts to be close to the sound of the heart beat. It was also during Thanksgiving, so.... :*) This might be the best long drive of your life, so be sure to enjoy it! Congrats on your summer solstice pup!

• Like 1

Make your pup a front seat nest where you can get your hand on it. Per my husband's 5 hour drive to Portland - Cake Dolly started on the front seat, got in the back seat and howled for an hour then wedged herself into his arm pit and slept the rest of the trip. Since it sounds like you will have the advantage of being in your own car, consider stuffing the passenger seat leg area with blankets and pillows so that you have a nest compartment. Protect your mechanism for shifting into drive/reverse/neutral if it's a stick with strategic pillow barrier or consider hooking in the little bugger with a harness extension clipped into the seatbelt. Be aware that you may need to adjust your plans (i.e. sudden eating of the seat belt). Pup might travel just fine in a seat belted in crate that you can keep your hands stuffed through. It all depends on your style and the wild card of the pup's style. Keep some snacks such as dried liver, kibble and crackers along with a water bottle and plastic cup and or food cup on hand. You can stop for potty breaks and give your pup a little sip and snack. Some folks have had good luck with puppy pee pads - so you might take your pup with you into the people potty and have it go with you. Also keep some baby wet wipes in your car for clean up - baby ones can also be used on the pup if needed. Bring a roll of poop bags. You don't want to find yourself in a high fine area w/o one. Finally consider a wee adjustable harness - think cat sized. IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0047.JPGphoto.jpg

• Like 2

The problem with trying to harness them is that they have never been on a leash before, and the 1st car ride, while you are trying to drive, is not the time or place to start that. It may go against you. They may fight the leash for a long time. Free inside a crate? Yes. Leash/harness? No. Just my gut feeling. Of course, you will know soon enough if the leash is a bad idea. So be ready to start and stop a few times when you are just setting out. :lol:

I did leash him when we got out to pee.

I like the nest idea.

• Like 1

Call me crazy, old fashioned, whatever, but I believe the safest road trip for the pup and the driver is a cozy crate strapped down on the passenger seat. I wouldn't want to be driving 80 mph on I-5 and see a guy pass me trying to get a dog out of his ear. A little howling in the beginning will probably give way to lots of sleeping about 10 minutes from home. :P

• Like 1

I would like to offer a rest stop in the Bay Area for you if you want one. I'm near 880 freeway. you might want to sit out part of the commute.

Nita sat in my lap buried in the crook of my arm all of the way home

• Like 2

i kept mooka in the create in the front seat with me so he could see me and he sleep most of the time from buffalo airport to toronto ontario stoped 1 time only because it was very late like 1am so was a little caution as it was just me but when we did get home opened the create and never put him back in and like miz molly he sleeps in bed laying over my legs most of the time and the odd time i wake up with legs in the air and a butt in my face,all 3 of my dogs(aid,mastiff and a little fluff ball and some times my 3 cats sleep with us and of course they all chose me to cuddle with ,enjoy the little one the grow so fast

Edited by oocahtah
  • Like 2

You guys are right; the crate is the safest bet.

10 hours is a long drive. Let me add to the crate suggestion a zip baggie of more than one pair of soft foam earplugs. If you need to endure an hour or so of howling to be road safe, being able to dial down the sound can help. Don't just take 2 ear plugs because when you take a rest stop chances are you will misplace one.

Well that was weird, all edits lost but the added picture. Go figure. To make the crate less traumatic you might be able to add a small ticking clock inside or right next to it (said to be like a heart beat) - I think Boone had one? and a stuffed animal companion - Boone has a "brother" who is a stuffed dog. Waki thought the stuffed dog at the vet was real.

In the picture he's snuggling with "Toasty Whale" - a hot cold pack shaped like an animal and filled with flax seeds and herbs (I looked them all up - none are toxic). The weight makes it feel real and if you microwave it or warm it with your body it will feel real. As with anything; what works for one person and is adorable, could be your disaster of flax seeds or foam stuffing all over the car, so: if you decide to go with a stuffed friend be ready to take it away if the pup starts to chew on it. It goes w/o saying that a glass or plastic eye, large chunk of fabric, stuffing or lots of flax seeds can be very disagreeable to your pup's digestive system. http://www.comforting-warmth.com/ToastyBeach.php?category=Toasty%20Beach%20Collection

IMG_0134.JPG.jpg

I took the 10 hour haul aswell for little Yona. The drive back was tough, my dad didn't get a whole lot of sleep the night before and neither did I, thanks to Yona. She pretty much stayed in her crate the whole ride home and I drove the whole way home. Apart from yelping 20 minutes at a time, she wound up napping for and hour or longer when she finished giving her speech. We took a pee break/leg break every couple of hours, they shouldn't potty in the crate...Yona did, once or twice in the beginning, but she is not a fan of crates at all. take a bowl for water and food and treats. In my opinion, it's really a test of your own patience so hold your sanity. If you can remain calm then i think the long haul in the end will pan out in your favor. Also, I've been to far too many loud concerts and shows so my tolerance to sound is far beyond the average soul, but, i do recomend earplugs if you are not like me. Good luck and Congratulations!

• Like 1

so: if you decide to go with a stuffed friend....

I'm available.

• Like 3

My husband just drove from Oregon back to Michigan with a pup and she and the other three did well. The pup was NOT crated and the older three took care of her. Even the pups we have had shipped were never crated from Detroit to Northern Michigan. The bond he has with all five of them is remarkable. Be careful where you stop because of parvo and critters. While they will have had their first shot, you never know who or what has stopped for the pee break before you!!

Judy Kosloski

Northern Michigan

• Like 1

That's really nice of you Rik :)

Allison....you're funny.

We took Pico to our hotel room after having dinner with Kim and Arlene. The first night he slept without a peep, mostly because he just got his shots. I thought, what's all the fuss about these dogs crying. The second night in a hotel room was a different story. That was an experience in it's self with all the hoot and hollering he was doing! He was quiet during the car ride in his crate and pretty much slept. We had a clock with him for a long time and lots of things to chew. He goes in a crate in Ron's truck and I have him buckled in the front seat in my Jeep. He's been sleeping by Ron's side since he's been home.

Agree with Allison. The pup has never had a collar or leash on and a long car ride is not the time to try it. He is not used to having anything on so please don't do it during the ride. He will most likely sleep. The pup that just drove home with my husband slept most of the way, the second one that flew in two weeks later was skeptical to get out of the shipping crate and since he had never been on grass before kept low on his belly to attempt to pee!

Yep, Karen, the magic number is now five!!! The two little ones sleep, it's like taking a baby for a ride to quiet them! The three older ones just talk to them and tell them to lay down and be quiet!!!!

They are all doing great! The terrible twos is going to be the challenge. EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!

Judy K

• Like 1

Well, the trip is getting very close now, and I feel more then ready now thanks to you all. I've got gear and supplies that were recommended (crate, chew sticks, floorboard bedding, etc) for trip as well as a big goofy grin every time I think about meeting her, our pup, Kota.

Rik, thank you for the kind offer. If it weren't such a long trip I'd take you up on it for sure. However, my daughter will be jumping out if her skin waiting for me to get home before her bedtime, so I better make it a straight line getting back. Very much appreciated though.

Rest assured I'll take and post some pictures for you all.

One more question - I will of course need to stop and use the potty myself at some point(s). I have no choice but to leave Kota locked in the car, right? Can't stand the thought.

Thanks again and again everyone.

Edited by Trekker

... as well as a big goofy grin every time I think about meeting her, our pup, Kota.

Oh yes, I know this grin.

I will of course need to stop and use the potty myself at some point(s). I have no choice but to leave Kota locked in the car, right? Can't stand the thought.

Walk your pup first, put Kota back in the car, and then hurry. :lol:

It's an opportunity for Kota to see that you will return. It prepares the way for leaving them at home. It's all good. Use your signal,..."stay", with your hand signal, stop. Heck, you might be amazed by the time you reach home, that Kota has the "stay" down.

It depends. In cool weather a quick stop, parked in the shade w/ windows open somewhat and pup in car is no problem. If you are in a dog theft known area - like Detroit for example, or it's really hot (because you don't want the windows down enough that a little head can go through and get stuck or that a hand can go in and pop your locks) or in a place where people are slightly hysterical - I'd take the dog with me and pick a Lowes or a highway rest stop - basically if it doesn't have a restaurant just take the crate in with you. It's no more trouble than a large purse. Most stalls are big enough or use the handicapped one just this one time. Most people are exceptionally friendly around puppies.

Consider taking a cooler with sustenance for yourself or using drive throughs otherwise. Too bad you can't take baby girl with you as a puppy holder.

I love the idea of going into a Lowes! I will remember that!

Usually, I have had the AC on, and a few minutes in a shaded car works.

There's almost always something you need at Lowes anyway. Once you see how small that pup is you might find you want to hold it up by the hog wire vs the chicken wire because your fence isn't as leak proof as you thought. Plus a shop vac is great for getting up a mile of exploded toy stuffing or little bone fragments that would kill your dyson. PS I think it was Mz M that said her dogs shop regularly at the local hardware with her.