Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Say Hello To Yona

Hello everybody, this is Yona! She's been with me for a week now and what a week it has been. She's a little fireball. Sherab warned me about the high energy, but, I'm loving every minute of it 😊 she absoultely loves to play. She tuckers herself out quick, then, she naps. This happens 4 or 5 times a day. Yesterday i went out briefly and left Yona with my roommates. I got a snapchat from them... She was running in circles in our living room as fast as she could. I got home to see her conked out on the floor, she's like a child haha.

I live with 2 other cats, jimmy and sadie. She tries to show affection, but, the cats are still pretty nervous. Jimmy swatted Yona the first day...ever since that, Yona, has kept her distance. She get's nervous and fidgety when she gets close... I think she knows where she stands.

Her crate training is going well, i usually put her in a couple hours before bed, take her out to potty and back in she goes. Yeah she cries(like she really really cries...wow) Her 3rd night was very good and she has been ever since. She goes the entire night dry! I usually open her kennel mid way through the night cause she asks for it open. She appreciates the room to stretch. I highly recommend keeping a fan on to keep them cool...especially in the summer, it helped calm her down at night.

Yona is almost house broken, still 3 or 4 accidents a day but becoming less frequent as i stay ontop of her rhythm. Tough love is in the works. She's a nipper and a biter. She's got my lip a few times. I'm learning to walk away and redirect her attention to her chewies. I want to use the spray bottle technique as most of you seem to swear by it.

Here are some pictures...hoping that they upload :P otherwise stay tuned for updates on my mini bear!

Screenshot_2015-05-22-22-36-47~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-22-22-36-24~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-22-22-38-44~2~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-22-22-40-07~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-22-22-38-57~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-22-22-40-18~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-22-22-40-32~2.jpg

• Like 4

Forgot to add that Yona is a cherokee translation for bear. She's from Little Bear and Rowdy's litter, so i thought that name would be appropriate.

• Like 5

Those blue eyes are stunning. Love her coloring too. She's going to be a ton of fun...and turn your life upside down over the next few months, no doubt! It passes so quickly though and she'll grow fast, changing daily sometimes...so take lots of pictures!

• Like 4

She really is gorgeous!!! And yes, I can definitely relate to the crying/howling, teething, and sprinting laps around the apartment! It's so much fun! And the naps! So darn cute! Enjoy every minute. Each day will be something new!

• Like 2

Forgot to add that Yona is a cherokee translation for bear. She's from Little Bear and Rowdy's litter, so i thought that name would be appropriate.

I love the name! Welcome and keep sharing those great puppy stories! What a cutie! Oh, and remember tough love...

• Like 1

Great pictures but with such a good looker how could they not be? Love that she's got the paint coat with the blue eyes and the eyebrows and the nose race stripe. Kind of makes me think of the painted ponies and I love the race stripe. What a doll. If you put Jinx in the search or Mooka you will see some other "paints" as they look older. I think she will be very striking, especially if she gets the long lean leggy look. Just enough like other dogs and just enough not like other dogs to get a lot of double takes and what sort of dog is that's.

Also search on Tahltan I'm not sure but I think Little Bear has some Tahltan bear dog in her. If so, kind of fitting your little one is Yona of the pacific north west. There's a story from Kim out on the main page (away from the forum) also called Tahltan letters I think. Greg can probably tell you if she has some bear dog if you don't want to bug Kim.

Funny you should mention the fan. We often use one for white noise. We are down to only one German Shepherd and he's 12 so for some reason the deer, turkeys, coyote and other critters think it's ok not to give our house wide birth as in the past. Now we have a nightly coyote serenade and other critters parading like elephants and the fan helps prevent the little dogs waking up and barking and waking up our old boy. I didn't think of it for puppies. Nice.

I must confess that I thought your room mates were cats. Picture taking cats... help Dad save us from the crazy...

• Like 1

Congratulations Brandon. You do have a looker and I know you will be extremely busy with Yona. Stay positive, focused and above all, be consistent with the training. You and Yona will have so much fun together.

• Like 1

Sherab, jinx qnd mooka are some serious lookers! I love their paints :) yes she does have the Tahltan bloodlines. While i was down there, I met greg and he filled me in a little about them. High energy is what i wanted, high energy is what i got. My dad said when i stepped in that kennel, she was attached. I remember kim saying, "that's a good choice". Took me about 15 minutes to choose and i wish it took longer :P i could spend all day in that kennel.

• Like 1

That's what happened with my husband Scott and little Cake. We think we go there to pick the pup but seems they sometimes have their own agenda.

Well if she's anything like Waki & Mooka you are in for a ride the first 18 months. Mooka is named for the love of excavation and Waki has a wicked hunting instinct. Lili - Waki's sister has had a lot better head on her, although Waki has matured into quite the little man. Hope you take lots of pictures and keep posting. Would love to see how she fills out.

FYI Waki wasn't a biter ( a little lip curl and some teeth were enough to get him to knock it off) and he was really good off lead until 6 months. Issues I had with him were keeping all manner of things out of his mouth (rocks, critters, dead critters, the terrible glue incident of 2013 - see Wakinyan thread), getting stuck under things - the dresser, the high boy and almost the deck - (we ended up stuffing pillows under the furniture and more wood around the base of the deck), and zombie Waki - 6 mo to 2 years - could not be trusted off lead ! including a 2 hour dig fest for a chipmunk that resulted in a broken toe, and finally challenging my female GSD for pack order 13 mo to 18 mo. All things we worked through. Just different issues than most of what I've seen posted. Could be a bear dog thing.

Brandon! Yona is beautiful :wub: with a very fitting name. Our pups are 1/2 brother/sister and look a similar for sure.

Yes! Take lots of pictures! They grow and change so fast. Looking forward to play dates, even tho it'll take 3hrs of travel time one way :P

Ron and I are heading to the Ranch June 10th to pick up our 4th DLX! Our trip takes us Victoria way, otherwise we'd stop in.

Wonder if Yona's eyes will go the white/blue that Pico's have gone.

Keep up the pictures and stories!

Congratulations on your beautiful puppy!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my daily battle with yona.

Any idea's on how i could stop this in the future? I don't want her to get a habit of battling especially when she's ready to go for walks in the big outside world. She'a doing great otherwise. She has her days when she turns into demon dog and needs frequent time outs. We got her a play pen and ever since she hasnt had many accidents in the house. Leaving her in the kitchen was a hassle and too much space while I wasn't home.

20150602_153627.jpg

Brandon, need a little more detail. What are you doing, what is she doing and how does it come about? Is there a trigger? A moment when she has a tell and you can time a correction? Does she have nothing to play with before hand? Is she viewing you as a toy or a leader? Does she do this to your room mates equally or just you?

Do you not know? Are you just walking about and suddenly there's a pup attached to your clothing? If yes then you need to be paying attention to her before hand. Proactivity - to see just when a well timed "no" and a substitute toy will help.

You can stop unwanted biting and it is work. Repetitive, consistent, highly mindful work that is measured in little successes. Nature will help you after the teething is over. Until then you need a lot of substitute "eat this and not that"s on hand.

Puppies are like a K Curve - you are on the steepest part of the slope. At 18 months - 2 years that slope levels out but the first 2 years are a lot of work.

My apologies i was falling asleep while writing this. It's the tug o' war that she won't stop with her leash. I love every minute of it and encourage the playing, but, i'm probably contributing to the problem. I'm a little apprehensive to have her off leash in the back yard,(which leaves the leash as one option for her to fight for) she's not the best at understanding the fetch concept of playtime and she's easily distracted. When she has space to run around and my hand off her leash, she will dirt graise when she wants too. She had some round worms in her system and a treatment for it pre-vaccination next week and now half my battle here is allowing her to have fun without her having to suffer from potential ingestion and contamination. Inside the house she is great, with the odd demon dog behavior. I walk away when she persists, I re-direct her to chew toys and give the necessary NO's when a correction is needed. But, i don't know if everybody else in the house would be and is as consistent as i am with training and house rules.

ok that helps frame the problem and you already know the answer - stop using the leash for tug. Find her something that she can have. You might have to try a few things to see what she likes - avoid old T shirts and things too close in nature to stuff you value. Make a big deal of taking it out for play and always put it away after so it stays "special" and she doesn't chew it to bits when you aren't looking. Some dogs love soccer balls - maybe that could be a new favorite? Consider a harness in the yard (these provide easy grab holds and allow for the leash to be clipped in where she can't get at it so easily. you probably have some re-training to do - fortunately you can change leashes - perhaps one made of climbing rope or some other different unfamiliar material?

I get the no off lead thing. Everyone has to assess the temperament of their dog. Some are amazing off lead and others not so much. Also everyone has different local and seasonal hazards. Tip- carry dried liver treats in your pocket everywhere (well ok you are in BC so maybe not in bear country). If there is an unexpected escape this will make you much more interesting.

Dirt grazing, eating rocks, metal and other inappropriate things can be an indication of a nutritional deficiency. Cake did the dirt grazing as a pup and Waki went for stones and metal. When a pup is growing fast it is easy to get a little deficiency. Also worms contribute. Give her a lot of variety - some organ meat, a table spoon of yogurt, buffalo or beef, Soup bone marrow (if the local market sells soup bones - throw that in a crockpot, cover with water and in 4 hours you have a nice broth for her), those sea weed sheets that go around sushi, bone in- skin on chicken drum stick, salmon oil, a sprinkle of sea salt on her food - there's lots of things you can find to vary her diet to help her get all the different things she needs to grow. You should see the dirt eating ease up or stop. Do correct her. Dirt will scratch her permanent teeth. Put "coconut" in our search field - somewhere there's a thread on the joys of a whole coconut as entertainment for a teething pup.

• Like 2

Ron used to play tug of war with Pico with a towel. That soon stopped when Pico would constantly pick up the towel or anything like it and bug you to pull on it. Toys we replaced and it was corrected. We had a harness where the leash clipped on his back. We found he became a puller so now we have a harness where the leash clips on his chest. This helps him to just walk and if he pulls, it turns him to the side. He doesn't like the Gentle Leader that goes around his nose and ears. Constantly tries to get it off. That one REALLY turns his head when he pulls. The dried liver treats are great for praise!

Yes, we've been told that dirt and rocks are not a good idea. Nor is a ball with glue holding it together...golf balls etc.

She's pretty precious. :wub:

• Like 2

BC Jackie, we use the same halter. It works very well for us, too.

Wow. What a growth spurt! I'm still waiting for mine. :D I think 5'7" would be nice.

• Like 1

Wow...what a beauty.

They've been up for about a week and she is about 12 weeks now. Yesterday, she weighed in at 14.5 lbs. Still so much more to go :)

Haha is that a trick question jackie? Or is my vet yanking my chain when he says she can't go out until 10 days after her next shot...she's been to pet stores and the local craft brewery, that's about it. Practically everyone within those places had to at least ask "what breed is she?" i give them the background check and make sure i mention the term "pocket dingo" because it's catchy and totally fitting :P

• Like 2

Oh, I would listen to your vet. Pico didn't go to a dog park until he was 17 weeks. I wasn't aware of not letting him out until 10 days after those shots! "Pocket Dingo"? Where did you hear that term? ;)

We get all sorts of comparisons with Pico. I make sure they know none of the breeds they mention are in him. :rolleyes:

• Like 1